Newbie5 is back! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie5

Nov 1, 2008
haven't been posting here for sometime cause i got lots n lots of things to do. :) Rem me, beginner and newbie? Anyway, i got 500 bucks plus Sony A100 DSLR, thanks to a fellow forumer here. No offence fellow forumer to wat i'm goin' to say. Can't say Sony A100 is e best but it's fairly good. :) Been gettin' a few decent shots.

my friends had been sayin' i should get 350D Canon instead of Sony A100. I'm not sayin i'm making a wrong dslr, i'm quite OK w it. But sometimes i do wonder i should get 350D Canon since i'm still a newbie at DSLR? Can anyone advice? Thanks...

Also I got a few shots that i might wanna ur opinions on them. Can also criztise it if not good, it'll movitate mi to improve further. Thanks..

Erm.. how do i put the photos up here? can't seem to find any buttons to attach..

haven't been posting here for sometime cause i got lots n lots of things to do. :) Rem me, beginner and newbie? Anyway, i got 500 bucks plus Sony A100 DSLR, thanks to a fellow forumer here. No offence fellow forumer to wat i'm goin' to say. Can't say Sony A100 is e best but it's fairly good. :) Been gettin' a few decent shots.

my friends had been sayin' i should get 350D Canon instead of Sony A100. I'm not sayin i'm making a wrong dslr, i'm quite OK w it. But sometimes i do wonder i should get 350D Canon since i'm still a newbie at DSLR? Can anyone advice? Thanks...

Also I got a few shots that i might wanna ur opinions on them. Can also criztise it if not good, it'll movitate mi to improve further. Thanks..

Erm.. how do i put the photos up here? can't seem to find any buttons to attach..

Errr...You got a Sony A100 and you are asking whether you should have bought the 350D instead. I would just say use the A100 since you have already bought it. No point thinking of what may have been if you had bought the 350D because you didn't.

To post images, very simple. U see the mountain sign? Click on it and enter the url of your photo. Otherwise use

Last edited:
It used to be the 10mp Sony A100 VS Nikon D70s Vs Canon 350D but Sony and Nikon are both pretty much identical in components.

Canon 350D? good cam many many stunning pics were made with it, one of them is my fav Her (I asked for her permission already).

Attach pics, you've to upload them to a 3rd party like flickr, photobucket, etc

Last edited:
Get equipment because you know exactly WHY you need it and because you know how your current equipment is limiting you. If you can't answer this question you don't need any other equipment.
No point oogling at other people's equipment and drooling over supposedly superior features or other blabla. Stunning pictures have been taken with simpler cameras then Sony A100. Learn how to use your camera, go out and take pictures. The camera is the tool, the picture is the purpose.

Ask yourself what is lacking between the 2 cams? Is it really the cams that make the difference or is it due to some other factors? Since your friend said that you should have gotten a 350D, perhaps you should just borrow his for a week and see if it really makes you a better photographer. :dunno:

To produce great pictures, many factors contribute to it.

1) Check the lenses that were used.
2) Check the skills between 2 photographers (the ability to see with the photographer's eye)
3) Check the post processing skill of the 2 photographers.

These are just some of the factors.

Since you already have the A100 just make full use of it. As I have always said, given today's advanced technology, it doesn't really matter which camera you're using, you can still get great pictures if you know how to make full use of it.

Think about it & reflect upon it.

i think its all about the eye...

i however swapped from the sony a200 to the canon 20d due to me being abit impatient and somehow don't fancy a200's iso performance....that was like 2-3months ago..

i found the 20d abit more forgiving(understand that i am comparing 2 different classes)...personal preference..20d with a 17-40L is pretty good...and am enjoying shooting more than ever..

but i think your creative eye is the most important..with all the high tech mumbo jumbo...u may get drowned with getting the best and forget about what is most important and that is...taking pictures...you have to SEEEEEE...thats the most important aspect in my honest opinion

Last edited:
i tink u guy can stop comparing canon and sony camera anymore coz he already bought sony camera
if u compare somemore i tink newbie5 goin to spend another sum of money to switch to canon haha
post pic so we can see haha

Hi TS, u have discussed about 350D, 450D, Sony dSLRs, admired cats.. 11 posts aren't very hard to look through.

My point, firstly is, congrats on your new camera.

Next, I think it's time to start shooting and post up some shots of your creation. No matter how deep one engrosses in hardware discussion won't produce any pics until one starts shooting.

Look forward to your shots soon.

Shoot more, post more...improve faster...:)

Don't listen to ppl, just shoot with what you have. Most ppl will just blurr out without knowing what they're talking about or if the advise is useful. A friend of mine recommended that I should have bought a Nikon D60 instead of Canon 5DII - go figure!!

Kittens.jpg

kopi.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02665.jpg

Okay, here is a few which should be nice. Thanks for tips, teebs! :) First one, was passing by lorry when i noticed 4 cold n wet(it was raining at tat time) kittens inside. Didn't have my slr w mi so i used my samsung soul to take its shot! (i love this pic!)

I tot changi airport, T3 should have plenty to shoot but seems like i only took that, lol..

Took lots of shots of tat colorful flower, had to determine which one to put before decided on tat one, ah...

Last one, was playin w it w my frenzs before took this shot. haha..

Okay, pls do give ur comments or can even critize it! Thanks!

Hi again, here is 2 more.

Botantic garden.

walkpath.jpg

Drink one, i was testing my new camera at that time out n trying to shoot at angles. :) Pls do give ur comments. thanks... :)

DSC01469.jpg

Wah lau! Still no reply after 2 weeks... i guess my photos are.. bad?

Nevertheless, i'll continue to improve! :) Thanks for all e advice ya gave in previous posts! I'll post again when i got good photos. :)

Be your first and sharpest critic. Ask yourself: what do you want to present? what is special about the object? What have you done to emphasize / present your object? Have you achieved your target?
I like the pic from Botanical Garden but the drink is something to delete (imho). The kittens have a good compositions (arch-like), the airport pic needs different treatment (colour / bw?), the focus point in the flowers is wrong (somewhere left) and the angle for the game could be lower.
Just a few pointers, keep shooting :)

Cat not looking at you, looks more sleepy (does not hold interest)
Kopi is ok, but watch the slant on the side (possible tilt to the top)
Flower not really in focus. (try to get the front in focus clearly, may have to stop down more)
Mahjong doesn't attract much attention either. Non-players won't understand the link.

Botanical gardens, nice idea there. but try to use the leading lines to lead your attention to a subject. There is nothing for you to lead up to.
Drink, try lower angle and do watch the white balance.

Keep trying and CRITIQUE yourself harshly first.

I see... Thanks so much for ur tips! I will def take a note in all of those posts. Needless to say, i'll continue keep shooting.

I'm starting to like my camera..

Next time, will post better photos. Cheers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.