Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackal

Feb 2, 2004
Good day fellas ! I'm new to this forum. was wandering if you guys could recommend some Digital cameras. currently holding an ixus 400. was thinking of upgrading. I have a canon 300d in mind.

btw I'm also new to Photgraphy. Mainly aviation but I do abit of scenic ones just to experiment. hope to learn more from you guys. :)

Best Regards,
Irwin

Hi Welcome to clubsnap. I'm a newbie too. I'm currently using Olympus a C4000Z digital cam and Canon EOS 500 film cam. I'm in the process of aquiring 300D too.

eddietkm said:
Hi Welcome to clubsnap. I'm a newbie too. I'm currently using Olympus a C4000Z digital cam and Canon EOS 500 film cam. I'm in the process of aquiring 300D too.

interesting! I have yet seen a real life one, just pictures of it only. Any idea whats the current price ? as well as accessories ?

Hi Jackal

Welcome to CLUBSnap. Im new to photography too. With regard to 300D, you gotta factor in the cost of speedlite, additional lenses, batteries, filters, etc. Could easily cost you another 1k and more.

Having said that, I must say that I enjoy photography much more than when I was using a A70. For one thing, there's no shutter lag unless I'm using it under low light situation and without flash. And viewing the subject through the lens instead of through the LCD means I can brace myself better resulting in less camera shakes and clearer pictures. It takes good pictures and is a great camera to learn photography the SLR way.

hi...
it seems like there alot of new...new....newbie here...hahaha...me too...din even have a camera....going to get one soon!!!!!is digicam that good???give me some pointer leh...hahaha....newbies rules!!!!!

BobCheong said:
Hi Jackal

Welcome to CLUBSnap. Im new to photography too. With regard to 300D, you gotta factor in the cost of speedlite, additional lenses, batteries, filters, etc. Could easily cost you another 1k and more.

Having said that, I must say that I enjoy photography much more than when I was using a A70. For one thing, there's no shutter lag unless I'm using it under low light situation and without flash. And viewing the subject through the lens instead of through the LCD means I can brace myself better resulting in less camera shakes and clearer pictures. It takes good pictures and is a great camera to learn photography the SLR way.

Well I'm still trying to learn the terms and understanding how they function. On the ixus 400, though kinda hard at times to get in the correct position to shoot mainly due to limited zoom, as for the light, I had to rely on nature to produce the correct density I need. Btw Shutter lag dictates sharpness ?

What are the things I should look out for in a digital camera as well as lens ? I've read quite a few threads on lens but haven't quite figure out what L lens does or what a 70-300mm lens is all about... lol

roosevelt said:
hi...
it seems like there alot of new...new....newbie here...hahaha...me too...din even have a camera....going to get one soon!!!!!is digicam that good???give me some pointer leh...hahaha....newbies rules!!!!!

Have any digi cam in mind ? Reason why I choose DSLR over SLR is because with DSLR, I get to discard pictures I don't like, which in turn is cost efficient. Usage wise, the battery doesn't quite last as long as I expected. My ixus 400 died pretty quick. Learned it the painful way at RSAF Openhouse. lol

You could try getting a fairly simple digicam and play around with it, and later purchase a more advance or multifunction one when you understand the concept. For me I prefer cams with more zoom capability coz I do abit of aviation photography and scenic ones. So zoom is must especially in restricted areas. :devil:

cheatchu79 said:
Bargaincity.com is selling canon 300D at $1745 (excluding GST)

thanks for the link, i originally thought it was priced at $1999 at some website. Do you by any chance know what kinda accessories to expect ?

The main advantages of using a DSLR would be the opportunity to tap the resources of interchangable lenses. You won't be as limited as in the case with fixed lens digicams but of course, you pay more. Depending on what you need lens can cost as little as $130 to thousands. L lenses and normal, cheaper do the same, they let you take pictures when paired with a DSLR. Admittedly, some L lenses do outperform the cheaper consumer lenses and they should be given their costs. I would suggest when you buy your DSLR, look not only into the body alone but the whole system which Canon offeres. Evaluate on your shooting preferences to decide what you need to buy. If you're unsure, get the body with the kit lens. It covers from 18-55, which is more than enough for most to start off with. Other things you need to consider would be storage media. None is provided with the 300D. Do inculde that in your budget. Other stuff that you might(or not) need as time goes includes extra batteries, filters, tripod(&head) and flash. Again depends on your shooting preferences, the list is not exhaustive. Investing in some books on digital photography can be useful as well.

Another thing to start picking up would be some post editing skills. This is usually done in Photoshop. A lot of people failed to understand that you need to perform a certain degree of post editing to bring the best out of the images captured by digicams, especially so for DSLRs. Basic resources explaining processes such as sharpening, curve adjustments, toning, etc can be found online.

And no, shutter lag has nothing to do with image sharpness at all.

Jackal said:
thanks for the link, i originally thought it was priced at $1999 at some website. Do you by any chance know what kinda accessories to expect ?

Nope! Sorry! I'm a newbie as well mah! Haha~! :bsmilie:

Anyway, I would guess that the other retailers would list quote somewhere around $1900+. The only reason why Bargaincity list their camera cheaper is that they don't have a shop-front, i.e. sales over the net.

Most people don't actually mind paying a bit more by patronising the the retailers, for there are many salespeople who are really helpful, and able to answer questions, like the kind of accessories you need for 300D.

cheatchu79 said:
Nope! Sorry! I'm a newbie as well mah! Haha~! :bsmilie:

Anyway, I would guess that the other retailers would list quote somewhere around $1900+. The only reason why Bargaincity list their camera cheaper is that they don't have a shop-front, i.e. sales over the net.

Most people don't actually mind paying a bit more by patronising the the retailers, for there are many salespeople who are really helpful, and able to answer questions, like the kind of accessories you need for 300D.

Abit ambigous ... Wander if there are any comments from those who had pruchased from them. :think:

Jackal said:
Have any digi cam in mind ? Reason why I choose DSLR over SLR is because with DSLR, I get to discard pictures I don't like, which in turn is cost efficient. Usage wise, the battery doesn't quite last as long as I expected. My ixus 400 died pretty quick. Learned it the painful way at RSAF Openhouse. lol

You could try getting a fairly simple digicam and play around with it, and later purchase a more advance or multifunction one when you understand the concept. For me I prefer cams with more zoom capability coz I do abit of aviation photography and scenic ones. So zoom is must especially in restricted areas. :devil:

icic...that quite true....thanx for ur advice....

Jackal said:
Abit ambigous ... Wander if there are any comments from those who had pruchased from them. :think:

Which part is a bit ambiguous?

roosevelt said:
icic...that quite true....thanx for ur advice....

Hey Roosevelt! You haven't decided what camera to get yet huh? Thought you have been active in here for like a week already?

cheatchu79 said:
Hey Roosevelt! You haven't decided what camera to get yet huh? Thought you have been active in here for like a week already?

hahaa...
actually me make up my mind liao...getting FM2 this week man....final....actually there FM2 and the FM2N....wan to know more abt the differance first lor.....and AF lens can fix on them but i thought they are manual cameral???that the part i'm puzzle in hahaha

cheatchu79 said:
Which part is a bit ambiguous?

hmm the lack of face to face discussion ? Clarification with the product etc.

roosevelt said:
hahaa...
actually me make up my mind liao...getting FM2 this week man....final....actually there FM2 and the FM2N....wan to know more abt the differance first lor.....and AF lens can fix on them but i thought they are manual cameral???that the part i'm puzzle in hahaha

Haa~! I'm completely hopeless with SLR. Anyway, glad to know that you have make up your mind! By this time next week, you cannot claim to be a newbie without a camera liao! Hahahah~! :bsmilie:

cheatchu79 said:
Haa~! I'm completely hopeless with SLR. Anyway, glad to know that you have make up your mind! By this time next week, you cannot claim to be a newbie without a camera liao! Hahahah~! :bsmilie:

ya man....hahaha...promoted to a haf camera newbie liao....hahaha....u like...wat kind of pictures u like to take??

Jackal said:
hmm the lack of face to face discussion ? Clarification with the product etc.

Well, that's the risk you have to take when dealing online, isn't it?

I think, just treat it like buying things over Ebay lor! The difference is that in this case, the stuff are brand new, come with warranty and can be exchanged if the electronic product is broken.

Think that unless you are very very sure that the camera is the model you want and wanted to get it a below market-rate, bargaincity is really not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.