Status
Not open for further replies.

orangcacat

Aug 19, 2009
hello all at CS!

im a newbie. got my canon eos 500D about 3 weeks ago.

well since then i have been taking photos, and il soon put them up so u guys can take a look. the thing is under the critique section u can only put 1 photo a week, so its abit slow...
is there another way i can post more photos so all the 'lao jiaos' can see and c&c for me?

and...im currently using the canon efs 18-55mm IS f3.5-5.6 lens. i know the lens is capable of taking good shots. but for me personally i like taking street shots, like candid random street shots, i more or less take my camera wherever i go so i can shoot whenever. but sometiimes when i wanna take pple, it might be abit obvious and they might not like having their photos taken. and other than that..the zoom range is abit restrictive. i dont know if i shud get a lens with a longr range like 18-200 or just something like a 80-200...

and i like taking portraits too.so please feel free to recommend me lenses to get next. i think i would like a wide angle one too. sounds abit ambitious. but im not getting all at one go. for now i am just considering.

so yep there goes my loooong first post.

cheers,
joel

Orangcacat = disabled person? :bsmilie:

As it's always been repeated here, just get the Canon f/1.8 50mm lost cost lens to play with, if you're spare $ get the 85mm f/1.8 as well. Again if you're richer then f/1.4, but if you're filthy rich go for f/1.2. Top up for the 135mm as well. But then, 18-200 can take great portraits too, as well as street.

ii think il go for the 50mm f1.8 definitely, just a matter of when.

and for the zoom lens right, ure suggestion is to get the 18-200?

shud i sell my kit then?

ii think il go for the 50mm f1.8 definitely, just a matter of when.

and for the zoom lens right, ure suggestion is to get the 18-200?

shud i sell my kit then?

18-200 is good for walkabout lens, eliminating the hassle of changing lens. :)

Hello...welcome.

Just use your kit lens first until you find that it's limiting you. For portraits, get a cheapo 50mm f1.8 will do.

Kit lens is wide enough even on crop, unless you want a UWA. Again, is it want or need?:D Until your kit lens cant satisfy you which you will know, then its time to consider adding new armour.

Hi orangcacat,

welcome to CS

Warm welcome to the club !

Warm Orangey welcome!

Haha i also like to take candid snapshot of people. But yeah holding a camera and going up to them, usually makes them look at the lens, which ruins the snapshot. I shoot at 240mm f/5.6 to capture expressions. I can stand quite far, about 10 meters ++? (haha i like headshots non cropped =X)

But usually i can only shoot in bright sunlight for that type. If at night then convert to event mode loh " LAI LAI TAKE PHOTO GATHER PLZ "

Ah, regarding lens. I would say keep you kitlens until you've outgrown it. I've no experience with the canon 18-55 so cannot comment. Explore and decide what kind of photography you want to do. Macro got macro gear, Event got event gear, snap shots? well work to your preference. Don't jump into buying. Test, Test Test before commiting. (only if ur budget tight =O )
I think cannon has a cheap 70-300 lens as well for 120++ ish? I think it's a small sum of money for a average lens u can buy to test out your interest with longer ranges, if you find that you don't use it that much, then you can avoid buying the sigma 150-500 =P. haha. Learn more about what you want and stay away from BBB virus =P

Last edited:
dear all thank you very much for your prompt responses.

i got the 50mm f1.8 lens.

and i borrowed from my friend her 80-200 lens.

and like yall said, i decided to keep my kit lens cos yeah it is stil very useful and i wont be buying any lens soon.

hahah thank u so much once again guys :)

hi jekyll 69

yeah i havent had time to use it, will be playing with it this weekend.

thanks for the warm welcome.

cheers

Must put aside more time to play w/ ur new toy :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.