Status
Not open for further replies.

retipuj

Jun 24, 2009
Hi all! I've always been interested in photography, but have only recently seriously took it up. I'm going to buy my first DSLR very soon, hopefully next week, but am still deciding between the Canon EOS 500D, Nikon D90 or Nikon D5000. I'm leaning more towards the Canon EOS 500D though.

Do you guys have any tips on how to choose a particular DSLR? Thanks a lot for the help.

Hi i am new here.. i am aiming D500 :D

Hi all! I've always been interested in photography, but have only recently seriously took it up. I'm going to buy my first DSLR very soon, hopefully next week, but am still deciding between the Canon EOS 500D, Nikon D90 or Nikon D5000. I'm leaning more towards the Canon EOS 500D though.

Do you guys have any tips on how to choose a particular DSLR? Thanks a lot for the help.

Tips?

Check on budget, your preference and what you want from a system.

if im not wrong, nikon d90 is out of stock in many places.

Hi, welcome to CS!!!

Maybe u wanna see how much is ur budget?

Try the grip of the 3 cameras and gauge the weight. Its the feel of the camera thats makes u wanna go out to shoot.

U can check for the price guide under market place. Research on the shops before u get ur camera.

Happy shopping !!! :D :D :D

all three are competent cameras. can't go much wrong with any of them so it'll boil down to stuff like budget, weight, and grip. further, if you're getting any of the kit lens packages, i think the 500d offers more possibilities at the moment...

Welcome to CS!

Hello...welcome.

As I have mentioned many times in this forum, any entry level DSLR is able to give you decent pictures when used within it's limitation. Holding a DSLR also will not make you a better photographer than others.

I would suggest that you look at what the other brands like Sony, Pentax & Olympus has to offer, shortlist the cams within your budget and try them out. Get something you're comfortable with and within your budget.

yes, get something within your budget is very important, or u will end up eating bread for a while like me.. unless of course u r rich enough to afford top notch products.
both D5000 and 500D have live view but personally, I dont really need them. My view is biased, I am a nikonian.. so I will not help u choose.. haha.. However, comparing a Nikon D90 and D5000, you will most probably get more votes for D90. there should already be various sites comparing a D5000 to 500D or 500D to D90.. i am sure they will be helpful.. But the "feel" is important as well. After reading the reviews, go down to the shop and test it out. hold it and see which one u fall in love with. But then,my personal life experience shows that the one u choose to be with may not be the one u love most :bheart: What the **** I talking about Man!! haha

Thanks everyone for all the replies. My budget would be around 1.6k to 2k, but I hope to get a decent bag, extra battery, and maybe a better memory card for that amount. I've emailed some of the shops, like Cathay Photo and John 316, and am hoping to go down to these shops sometime next week to get a feel of the cameras. Hopefully I'll be able to decide which model to get by then, and start shooting.

Again, thanks everyone for the help. Really appreciate it.

Welcome and do read more on both cam. Then u will know what/ which model cam u like more. =)

if im not wrong the D5000 doesnt have a internal motor right? (someone confirm pls?)
in which case if u plan to get new lenses, its better to go with the D90 as it has an internal motor and therefore u are able to auto-focus on lenses other than AF-S (which would happen if u go the D5000)

just my 2c

Welcome to CS, I will choose D90

Welcome to CS family. :)

Welcome to CS !
Do consider the whole system when u r buying a DSLR, the body is only the beginning.

Moreover, many user will change their entry level camera after 2-3 years after learning photography.

I'm looking for some good books on beginner photography, so can I ask if anyone has any good recommendations as to which books or authors I should look into? I'm currently looking at The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby and Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Do you need really the video function of these cameras?

With your budget, its possible to get a 2nd hand D300 if you need speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.