Newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelKoh

Jan 31, 2009
Upper East Coast
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to cameras and am interested in getting a SLR camera and start to play with..

Which BRAND camera should I start with?..

1 newbie qn: What's the difference between DSLR and SLR?..

Last edited:
Hi Nigel welcome!

Here is a thread with some useful information for newbies written by zoossh, and considerations before jumping into DSLR.

There are many brands out there, and all will suit your purpose. Read up on them and go to the shops and see how comfortable they handle in ur hands. No one can tell you which one u have to buy over another brand. Most will probably sing praises of their brand they are using.

Lots of previous discussions on this topic of camera selections, u can try to search the forum for the pertinent posts

Ryan

Hi Nigel welcome!

Here is a thread with some useful information for newbies written by zoossh, and considerations before jumping into DSLR.

There are many brands out there, and all will suit your purpose. Read up on them and go to the shops and see how comfortable they handle in ur hands. No one can tell you which one u have to buy over another brand. Most will probably sing praises of their brand they are using.

Lots of previous discussions on this topic of camera selections, u can try to search the forum for the pertinent posts

Ryan

I just want a camera to take some pictures to kill my secondary school life..

READ MORE first....

DSLR (Digital SLR)
SLR (Single Lens Reflex camera)

if you don't know all these terms, you need to read more, go down to the library and find out a bit more first.... and wat's your budget?

dslr is digital and slr is film.brand makes no difference, but canon and nikon are the popular brands to get.
it'll probably be easier to buy and sell equip second hand for these two brands.

For taking pictures any decent camera will do, I don't see a point focusing only on Canon and Nikon. To find a decent camera the usual review pages will give plenty of information. More important is what zac08 wrote: READ to understand. Otherwise it's gonna be a pricey lesson.

READ MORE first....

DSLR (Digital SLR)
SLR (Single Lens Reflex camera)

if you don't know all these terms, you need to read more, go down to the library and find out a bit more first.... and wat's your budget?

maybe let's say $400-$500?..

if it's only to "kill time" and not to explore the more subtle nuances and techniques of photography.. then i suggest a more advanced compact camera or a superzoom..

cheaper and immediately more functions and ranges to "play with".. like macro and telephoto..

i have a friend who shoots only with a compact and achieved many creative results.. that puts my dslr to shame..

exaclty ^.^ I suggest trying out compact cam first too~ once you are familar with the terms then you come back for bigger baby. i didnt start playing with one till i have my first pay lol my first dslr was canon eos d40, but then i realise after some time, sony cybershot w170 is just as good, with cheaper lens to play around with! yeah they have lens for that too

reading up first, like many have alr suggested. den maybe visit megastore like challenger or harvey norman, tell them your requirements, and they can give you pretty good advice. Then check it out again. It aint cheap, so make your buy worth.

Hi Nigel,

first of all a warm welcome to you. Given your budget, I would suggest that you get a 2nd hand prosumer cam to play with first.

exaclty ^.^ I suggest trying out compact cam first too~ once you are familar with the terms then you come back for bigger baby. i didnt start playing with one till i have my first pay lol my first dslr was canon eos d40, but then i realise after some time, sony cybershot w170 is just as good, with cheaper lens to play around with! yeah they have lens for that too

reading up first, like many have alr suggested. den maybe visit megastore like challenger or harvey norman, tell them your requirements, and they can give you pretty good advice. Then check it out again. It aint cheap, so make your buy worth.

Hi, thanks for the advice.. Most proberbly my dad will be paying 25% of the price for me.. So I'm able to get smth slightly better..

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to cameras and am interested in getting a SLR camera and start to play with..

Which BRAND camera should I start with?..

1 newbie qn: What's the difference between DSLR and SLR?..

If I ask you:
I want to buy a television set to watch Channel 5. Which brand of tv should I start with?

a bit difficult to answer this sort of vague question, you agree?

Hi, thanks for the advice.. Most proberbly my dad will be paying 25% of the price for me.. So I'm able to get smth slightly better..

So you're prepared for the lenses, dry cabinet, etc? No?

Then just get a compact cam. No point in you getting a DSLR if you don't know how to use it and have no real interest in photography.

Hi there, to be honest I think you should not rush into this... i've been interested in photography at a young age too but could not afford a camera... i had to make use of a disposable camera known as fuji quicksnap (not sure if still have those) quality was horrendous but at least it gave me an avenue to explore.

When i was in sec 4 i finally managed to get my first camera an olympus cam and i have been using that even until now. I only finally decided to get a DSLR just last year after toying around with an SLR like cam first to get the hang of it.. even now i'm still learning alot of stuff.

If you are just taking this as something to "kill time" i suggest you seriously reconsider getting a DSLR as this is a VERY EXPENSIVE hobby... being so young, you should really not burden yr parents with this expensive hobby of yours and start of with something more afforable first ba.. take baby steps first before u learn to run or else u'll sure to fall down.

I'm not discouraging you but don't rush into things... obviously you are just following a trend that you prob learnt from a fren or something. To not even know what DSLR means, shows just how interested you are and with comments like "kill time" i think after a few months you'd prob get tired and find something new.

But i'm nobody so you can choose not to listen to my advise as well.. so it's your decision :sweat: cheers!

So you're prepared for the lenses, dry cabinet, etc? No?

Then just get a compact cam. No point in you getting a DSLR if you don't know how to use it and have no real interest in photography.

Not saying that i've totally no interest in photography. My uncle is using a Canon 10D and i like to use it.. Find it really nice to use.. Am willing to learn from scratch..

Funny, who are you all to judge or know whether TS will drop the hobby in a short time? What is this "I-know-whats-a-DSLR-then-I-can-use-one anal logic? Who in the world say you cannot buy a dslr to shoot what you like, when you like. :sticktong Be it a fashion shoot or just for fun.

To TS (NigelKoh): Even though this is a NEWBIE section, a lot of google-chanters will still haunt you if they think any questions are not up to their taste. So, get your answers from friendlier and more helpful friends or go to a library, unless you know the survival ways here.

Last edited:
Not saying that i've totally no interest in photography. My uncle is using a Canon 10D and i like to use it.. Find it really nice to use.. Am willing to learn from scratch..

Learning from scratch doesn't require a DSLR. It's good if your uncle lets you use his 10D from time to time. But for the basics a prosumer cam will be already very helpful. Once you have the basic knowledge you will be able to decide what you need and you can weight between features and price tag. For the time save the money even if your dad is willing to help.
Search the forum for 'prosumer' and see what the people recommend. Check 2nd hand prices then in Buy&Sell section. In the sticky threads and guidelines you'll find recommendations fro books. Even small libraries like Pasir Ris have lots of books on shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.