Newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cullen

Dec 24, 2006
Hi, I'm new to photography, so i wan thinking if i shold invest in a canon 350D. Any comments? How much wld it cost? Kindly guide me along... Thx...

350D is a DSLR
best if you go read up a little on the basics of photog, ie. manual control, aperture, shutter speed, all that jazz
To knwo what you're diving into
not wrong to start off with that, but i don't know, i personally feel that you must be ready to spend slightly more $ than just the body and kit lens to make full use of any dslr

if not, you could always start off with a bridge cam (in btw dslr and p&s)
or a point and shoot cam with manual controls

Hi, Welcome to the big family!

Like what bro night86mare has said do read up on the basics first before deciding which camera to get. For DSLRs you not only get the body and kit lens alone. There are other things like dry cabinet, different lenses & filters to consider too. A prosumer camera would be a good choice too.

Enjoy your stay.

Thx alot... I have lots of research & read up to do. will keep those advice in mind...

I suggest you get a prosumer cam first, like a Sony H series or Canon S series (lots of good sales in the marketplace section now). This will cover most of your needs and really let you practice. You might not even feel the need for a "full dslr" anymore!

I started with my Dad's manual camera to understand the basics (e.g. to understand the relationship between apeture, shutter and ISO), then moved to a Sony Cybershot F828. It is only then when the camera prohibited/limited what I want to do (i.e. camera limiting my skills), that I know that it's time to upgrade. And I chose a Nikon (PLEASE DO NOT start a brand war here :sweat: ;) ) system. :D

For DSLRs you not only get the body and kit lens alone. There are other things like dry cabinet, different lenses & filters to consider too.

pardon a ignorant question....is dry cabinet a must?

pardon a ignorant question....is dry cabinet a must?

not unless if you're in a country with low humidity, e.g. Australia. :bsmilie:
If u're in S'pore, u've spent so much on your expensive camera gear, IMHO, it'll be a worthwhile investment to protect your gear. :D

not unless if you're in a country with low humidity, e.g. Australia. :bsmilie:
If u're in S'pore, u've spent so much on your expensive camera gear, IMHO, it'll be a worthwhile investment to protect your gear. :D
it's almost necessary for dslr - got moving parts if you get what i mean
p&s also should la, but not so, because it's "enclosed"

it's almost necessary for dslr - got moving parts if you get what i mean
p&s also should la, but not so, because it's "enclosed"

I wun dare say that p&s cams can be left out. I believe that the lens is subseptable to fungus growth too.

I wun dare say that p&s cams can be left out. I believe that the lens is subseptable to fungus growth too.

likelihood less though!
i'm lazy, leave my cams in a enclosed cupboard only =D

likelihood less though!

you mean, your dslr+lens or p&c cam???

i am planing to upgrade to dslr, so must consider the dry cabinet in my budget??

my bedroom is aircond-ed most of the time, so by leaving in the cupboard, will it pose humidity problem??

i am planing to upgrade to dslr, so must consider the dry cabinet in my budget??

my bedroom is aircond-ed most of the time, so by leaving in the cupboard, will it pose humidity problem??

i only have p&s!
no dslr

probably should take dry cabinet into account, really, i would

about last q, ask the people with dslrs! =D

On most of the time!? :bigeyes:
Aircon breakdown, power outage or when it is off, wun condensation form? :sweat:
Spend thousands of dollars on your equipment, what's another hundred or two to have a peace of mind, knowing that your gear is protected? :sweat:

likelihood less though!

:sweatsm:

Dun blame me if you need to replace your p&s if fungus does grow. :sweat: :cry:
:bsmilie:

On most of the time!? :bigeyes:
Aircon breakdown, power outage or when it is off, wun condensation form? :sweat:
Spend thousands of dollars on your equipment, what's another hundred or two to have a peace of mind, knowing that your gear is protected? :sweat:
erm, if dry cabinet is another $100-$200 i think worthwhile to get. but does it need constant electricity to use? like the kitchen fridge? if need then the total costs is much more than just the initial investment of few hundred bux.

erm, if dry cabinet is another $100-$200 i think worthwhile to get. but does it need constant electricity to use? like the kitchen fridge? if need then the total costs is much more than just the initial investment of few hundred bux.

no lah, doesn't consume much electricity..just to give u an idea of how much it costs.

my electricity bill is around $30 a month and my usage is:
1 fridge (24 hours)
1 air-con (around 8 hours every day)
1 LCD TV (around 3 hours a day)
Lights (3 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen)
3 laptops (around 2-3 hours a day)
1 dry cabinet

no lah, doesn't consume much electricity..just to give u an idea of how much it costs.

my electricity bill is around $30 a month and my usage is:
1 fridge (24 hours)
1 air-con (around 8 hours every day)
1 LCD TV (around 3 hours a day)
Lights (3 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen)
3 laptops (around 2-3 hours a day)
1 dry cabinet
bro.. chun bo?!? $30 only?? after rebates is it :sweat:
mine is about $50 (excluding water gas everything else) and usage similiar to yours.

anyway i just found some dry cabinet selling @ kallang. typical watt is 12w. that's ok. but not mentioned how much is the cabinet.

bro.. chun bo?!? $30 only?? after rebates is it :sweat:
mine is about $50 (excluding water gas everything else) and usage similiar to yours.

anyway i just found some dry cabinet selling @ kallang. typical watt is 12w. that's ok. but not mentioned how much is the cabinet.

no leh...mine is around $30 only, plus water, gas etc. is around $50-55...

Status
Not open for further replies.