Newbie with some questions

Fudgecakes

Oct 1, 2011
Planet Earth
Hi all I'm new to this site. To begin I am shooting with a nikon d5000 with 18-55mm dx lens and 55-200mm dx lens.
I'm trying to get a lens which will combine both tgt I.e nikon/sigma 18-200mm lens but I can't make up my mind on which to get. And i would like to get an external flash but I cant decide whether to have a sb 700 or sb 600.
Advice anybody??

Although I can't say you are wrong, if you want to combine the range of both lens into, but you have to be aware that this 18-200 lens will not be able to open as large aperture as you can achieve using the 2 separate ranges lens.

As for the flash, i own the sb800 and found it pretty good. Would u like to consider?

Last edited:
Not much diff for the aperture I think cuz my the f numbers are like the same? But it's very in convenient when I need tO shoot something and I'm like too far away. As for the flash I have to see how much it cost. Cuz I'm a student and I need to save y'know. Dun wanna beg money from my mom ^^

Distortion control for super zooms is usually mediocre.

Not much diff for the aperture I think cuz my the f numbers are like the same? But it's very in convenient when I need tO shoot something and I'm like too far away. As for the flash I have to see how much it cost. Cuz I'm a student and I need to save y'know. Dun wanna beg money from my mom ^^
If you are on budget then save unnecessary expenses in the first place. Replacing your 2 lenses with one single lens is not necessary, imho. Regarding aperture: compare the max aperture of the 55-200 with the aperture of 18-200 at 55mm. There is a difference which can become important. DSLR means: get the right lens for the right job. The 'one lens fits all purposes' idea might sound convenient, but it defeats the purpose of DSLR cameras.
With the money saved from the lenses you could get the best of class Nikon flash then, including all the features it has :)

Keep both your lenses and use the money to buy a good flash and a tripod instead.

Hi all I'm new to this site. To begin I am shooting with a nikon d5000 with 18-55mm dx lens and 55-200mm dx lens.
I'm trying to get a lens which will combine both tgt I.e nikon/sigma 18-200mm lens but I can't make up my mind on which to get. And i would like to get an external flash but I cant decide whether to have a sb 700 or sb 600.
Advice anybody??

Same here. I'm still a student.Btw, for lens as an alternative is Sigma 18-200 but it's not as sharp as Nikon.For flash, try the 3rd party market for a lower budget.

Thanks all you people for your valuable inputs. Which brand of 3rd party flash would you recommend? And should I get a large aperture SFL lens? If so should I get a dx 35 mm one or fx 50mm one?

Thanks all you people for your valuable inputs. Which brand of 3rd party flash would you recommend? And should I get a large aperture SFL lens? If so should I get a dx 35 mm one or fx 50mm one?
For the lenses: use your kit lens, set it to 35 and 50mm and shoot away. See which focal length you use more, then buy the respective prime. The prime will have the same field of view with the added wide aperture.

I see. What's the difference between afs af and afd? The 50 mm is for fx cameras so will the picture get cropped or sth?

Fudgecakes said:
I see. What's the difference between afs af and afd? The 50 mm is for fx cameras so will the picture get cropped or sth?

Afs are Nikon newer offerings where they contains motor inside the lens to drive the autofocusing. Hence body without af motor will need to use these lens.

Afd are one generation earlier offerings which does not have auto focusing motor and will rely on bodies with af motor in them to drive these lens.

Lens for fx can be used on dx and will be cropped because the dx lens cannot fully cover the lights which fx lens can direct. Dx lens don't cover the full fx sensor and hence should be used either only in dx bodies or in fx bodies with a deliberate crop by the firmware. When using against the fx sensor, you end up with less pixels count because you are only using a smaller area of the sensor.

Ts using d5k. So u can only afs lens only, unless u dun mind manual focus, u can use afd lens. Hence, afs 35mm f/1.8 dx is a good choice. Else if u can manual focus, consider the afd 35mm f/2. Or if budget allows :p u can consider afs 35mm f/1.4, can be use on fx if u upgrade in future:p
Personally I find 50mm a bit too tight and somewhat 'tele'. <= 35mm works fine for me:)

Thanks loads ^^. Any idea what the cost will be?

Fudgecakes said:
Thanks loads ^^. Any idea what the cost will be?

Ts, You're asking a lot of questions, the answers to which can be found on your own through field testing, or (in the case of pricing) by searching price guide section and calling up shops.

I personally dislike 18-2xx lenses very much.

Sorry Loh. I dun have so much money and opportunities to trial and error every lens recommended to me what... I'm new to this thing and have no1 to advise me on such stuffs so I can only ask lor

1) You can always rent the lens you intend to buy ( If you cannot decided) (http://sg.camerarental.biz/PriceList/PriceList.aspx)

2) D5000 have not build in af motor.. (recommend get af-s lens if not only can manual focus)

3) Do note D5000 have a 1.5x crop... ( meaning to say af-s 35mm f1.8 = 35 x 1.5 = 52.5mm when mounting it on the crop sensor camera)

4) I personally find 50mm too tight on the crop sensor body. IMHO i recommend the af-s 35mm f1.8. ( I got mine $330 @ orient Photo)

5) Personally i think the nissin Di622 MKII is good enough for a start ( * Do note that third party flash also misses some functionality like BL mode, which in my opinion is one of the most advanced features of Nikon flashes* Quoted by DD123... )

6) If you budget is there will recommend the SB700.

7) Try to do your own research first before asking in the forum as lots of your question have been ask in this forum countless time..( The search button and google is your best friend) ;)

Lastly keep the 18-55mm & 55-200mm no point buying the 18-200mm IMHO..:)

I find 18-200 very heavy. So keeping the two lenses is recommended - lighter than 18-200. Prime lenses, 35mm is great on my DX, and it's the most used lens so far.

How long have you been shooting with your current setup? Do you switch to your 55-200mm very often? 18-200mm is a very convenient lens to own but it does compromise on your IQ. I will suggest you collect some statistics on your own shooting habits. If you can conclude that you don't shoot telephotos very often, there are actually better, less expensive lenses that we can recommend.