Newbie with Nikon D5100

dreamercfm

Mar 14, 2014
Singapore
Hi everybody, nice to meet your guys.

I'm newbie with hold Nikon D5100, I'm planning to buy new lens and flash light.

I do some review and found that 18-200mm lens is consider all in lens, am I right?

or guys your have any recommendation to me so I can take it for review.

thanks for help.

any recommendation place in Singapore can buy cheaper lens and flash light?

or second hand?

Lens and Flashes are cheaper in B&S here if you know what you are looking for and do your homework.

Look at what are the lenses up for sale and look at the reviews on the net. Same too in the Nikon equipment sub-forum

Welcome to CS. ;)

The 18-200mm lens is the all in one lens for the Nikon DX DSLR.

Nikon has two versions of this lens

The first version has a red colored VR label & is made in Japan.

AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

The 2nd version has a gold colored VR label & is made in Thailand. It has a zoom lock to lock the lens at 18mm to prevent the lens from extending when you are walking about with the lens hanging downwards.

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

Both lens uses VRII technology.

Nikon 18-200mm are very pricey new or used.

Sigma and Tamron also make 18-200mm lens.

With a super zoom, you gain versatility but lose out in sharpness and distortion. The Nikon 18-200 is the better lens in acuity among all the super zooms.

If you want better image quality then there are many alternatives, Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8, Nikon 35mm f/1.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 & many more...It is better that you find out which focal length that you use more and then look into other lenses.

You can look around CS, Nikon B&S section to look for sellers and price references. Please check before buying.

Funan mall & Peninsula plaza has a number of shops selling photography gear. You can always drop by there.

Last edited:
I'm newbie with hold Nikon D5100, I'm planning to buy new lens and flash light.
Why? What lens do you have right now? What are you planning to do that cannot be done with your current lens?
I do some review and found that 18-200mm lens is consider all in lens, am I right?
No, you are missing the Ultra Wide range below 18mm and the telephoto range above 200mm. Back to my initial question.
Secondly: Whenever convenience comes in (one lens for all or so) then other things have to step back. Usually it's maximum aperture and image quality at extreme settings.
or guys your have any recommendation to me so I can take it for review.
photozone.de and dpreview.com are good starting points for lens reviews.

If you already have the 18-55 kit lens, you don't really need the 18-200. Why not consider the 70-300 vr?