Newbie with a new hobby

happibeebee

Dec 5, 2010
Central
:angel: My resolution for 2011 is to get a new hobby. Decided to take up photography after being posion by a good friend.

Now the headache thing is which camera to buy for a newbie. Considering between the Sony NEX3/5 or Olympus PEN E-PL1. Can anyone share their experience?

Missed Sintex 2010 due to a last min business trip. Can anyone share what's the deal they are offering during the show. Not sure if I should buy the camera now making use of Christmas Sales or wait till the next PC show.

Welcome to CS... I am new to photography so I leave the recommendation to the Seniors... :D

Have you considered why you're chosing these two models and not the others? Or even the mainstream APS-C cameras?

:angel: My resolution for 2011 is to get a new hobby. Decided to take up photography after being posion by a good friend.
I hope you are not just copying somebody cause you got itchy about the gadget. :think:
Now the headache thing is which camera to buy for a newbie. Considering between the Sony NEX3/5 or Olympus PEN E-PL1. Can anyone share their experience?
Your first lesson shall be: read this forum, see which information are already there.
FAQ What camera to by?

Missed Sintex 2010 due to a last min business trip. Can anyone share what's the deal they are offering during the show. Not sure if I should buy the camera now making use of Christmas Sales or wait till the next PC show.
Search here for Sitex and you shall see the results and the common opinion about this show and other IT show and whatnot. There are good camera shops for a reason :)

Haha.. Thanks for the welcome. Enjoy your stay too

I hope you are not just copying somebody cause you got itchy about the gadget. :think:

Your first lesson shall be: read this forum, see which information are already there.
FAQ What camera to by?

Search here for Sitex and you shall see the results and the common opinion about this show and other IT show and whatnot. There are good camera shops for a reason :)

Thanks for the information. Starting on my reading and search now..

Have you considered why you're chosing these two models and not the others? Or even the mainstream APS-C cameras?

Read somewhere that these 2 models are good. But I am still new so do not know what to look out for.

Care to share what's APS-C Camera?

Its an actually DSLR, not those mirrorless m4/3.

Read somewhere that these 2 models are good. But I am still new so do not know what to look out for.

Hi, welcome to CS.
You should first decide what you plan to shoot and what budget. Then look at the pros and cons of the camera models when it comes to your requirements.

My advice to you as you are new to photography is to first try your hand out with one of the superzoom bridge cameras. They give you quite a level of manual control to begin with and are relatively cheap compared to the DSLRs or EVILs. One you are sure that this hobby is something that interests you, you can go for better cameras.

This would help you cut your losses if you figure photography is not for you. Further you will also get an idea of what you like photographing and hence which camera and lens system could cater to it better.

All the best.

Just go for good camera shops. Price should be reasonable. Got mine there.

My resolution for 2011 is to get a new hobby. Decided to take up photography after being posion by a good friend.

Do you have a compact camera now? You can start shooting better pictures now. No need to wait for your new cam.

All these pictures are shot with an old Fuji F450Z, 5mp compact camera:
3556881256_414a55d4bd_m.jpg
3597262791_3eca105071_m.jpg
3385286966_3dd5a87185_m.jpg
3623781865_64c3901c7b_m.jpg

Sometimes handphone cameras also can.... this is shot with a very old Nokia 6110 with 2MP handphone cam.

3488939672_bb1bdda68b.jpg

Equipment is not the restriction to good pictures. Your mind is the only restriction to your creativity.

All current camera similar to those you have mentioned are good. Lousy cameras would grow mold on shelf.
It refers to the sensor size. The APS-C size sensor is most common among current hobby DSLR models. But that's less relevant.

Welcome to cs!
Take ur time reading through the forum.. you'll learn a lot and ultimately, you'll find the answer to your question yourself..
Enjoy reading :)

Welcome to CS . . . ;)

it really depend on your budget and your liking actually . . . :)

you may wish to consider getting the following along with your camera too . . .
1 Dry cabinet
2 tripod
3 camera bag

Google a bit here and you can get info on this too . . . :)

Welcome and enjoy!

welcome to clubsnap :)

1) don't need to wait for those trade shows to pick up a good deal on digital cameras. As Octarine suggested, search around Clubsnap for discussions on SITEX, PC Show, IT Show, etc.

2) Try not to narrow down your shortlist so fast until you really understand more about what the cameras can do for you. Do form a shortlist of criteria for your new camera. Do you need it to be very small? very cheap?..... etc...
I recommend sites like DPreview, photozone, etc to give more detailed (and hopefully impartial) information :)

I would strongly recommend a 400D... in fact, I'm using one right now! Should cost around $400 with battery grip in b&s. I would advise that you det a cheap body and a excellent lens. Depending on your budget (Since you quoted that you gone on a business trip, I will assume that you should be able to accept a budget of up to $5000), if you have a big budget, I would recommend the following canon system: 400D+grip, EF 24-105, EF 100-400, EF-S 10-22mm UWA. Total should set you back around $5000 if you buy all second hand, with filters included. Should be the perfect set for the starter :eek:

if you're looking for a small body with interchangeable lens. I'd suggest the E-PL1 over the Sony. Sony has better noise control and faster focusing, but the E-PL1's kit lens produces sharper images and also better color reproduction as a whole.

You can take a look at this video as a comparison video for the e-pl1, no sony here though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuxsV_Fa17o