Newbie with a Canon S95

sablemagi

Sep 19, 2010
Hi there all,

A big hello to all and i'm so amazed with the shots that have been shown on this site.

I am someone who really appreciates beautiful photos, but have always been hesitant in venturing in it myself. concerns have been money, ability (i am a klutz).

however, i recently bought a Canon S95 on the advice of a colleague and love it! am amazed by the gimmicky automatic things like HDR and colour pick up etc, but also with the manual functions i think there is a lot that i can do with it.

I have bought a pouch and go EVERYWHERE with it in case i need to take photos (and i do). i have been reading the articles here and elsewhere i can go online, but would like peoples input on the following.

1. Basic Courses - i learn better from hearing and seeing than reading. the courses on the site seems to be more SLR type advanced courses.
2. Portable Tripod - i love the HDR functions and experiemnting with shutter speed. unfortunately i have really unsteady hands and things are often blurry. i do not intend to get any bigger camera (i thought the G11 was too big) over the next 5 years. My fiancee and i take our dog out for long walks (kallang river , changi) and i'm game to bring this along to take.
3. Carrying Options - backpack seems a bit overkill for a s95, but the slingbags for the tripods don't look very comfortable. like what would one advice for a hiking holiday for example.

i just want to learn and take good images, and make the most out of the Canon S95. i think the camera is good enough that some really wonderful shots can be taken.

Thanks in advance from advice of the gurus here.

Hi there all,

A big hello to all and i'm so amazed with the shots that have been shown on this site.

I am someone who really appreciates beautiful photos, but have always been hesitant in venturing in it myself. concerns have been money, ability (i am a klutz).

however, i recently bought a Canon S95 on the advice of a colleague and love it! am amazed by the gimmicky automatic things like HDR and colour pick up etc, but also with the manual functions i think there is a lot that i can do with it.

I have bought a pouch and go EVERYWHERE with it in case i need to take photos (and i do). i have been reading the articles here and elsewhere i can go online, but would like peoples input on the following.

1. Basic Courses - i learn better from hearing and seeing than reading. the courses on the site seems to be more SLR type advanced courses.
2. Portable Tripod - i love the HDR functions and experiemnting with shutter speed. unfortunately i have really unsteady hands and things are often blurry. i do not intend to get any bigger camera (i thought the G11 was too big) over the next 5 years. My fiancee and i take our dog out for long walks (kallang river , changi) and i'm game to bring this along to take.
3. Carrying Options - backpack seems a bit overkill for a s95, but the slingbags for the tripods don't look very comfortable. like what would one advice for a hiking holiday for example.

i just want to learn and take good images, and make the most out of the Canon S95. i think the camera is good enough that some really wonderful shots can be taken.

1. for courses, I think most courses are catered for DSLR nowadays. But you should look at joining some newbie outings. Some are quite instructional.

2. If you want portable, and you find G11 big, your options for tripod is quite limited. Maybe a joby gorilla pod may work for you.

3. Best carry option for you will be your pouch. Just use any bag you normally use, and dump your camera pouch (with camera in it) and your mini tripod in your bag. No need to think of another bag.

Hi there all,

Welcome to CS:)

1)You can join courses in the Workshops/Tutorials & Lessons forum or join some outings in the Gatherings & Outings forum

2)Sirui/Benro and Velbon offers some portable tripods which can be budget friendly.

3)Sorry i don't hike so i can't answer your question.

My 2 ringgit:)

Welcome to CS . . . :)

2. ...i love the HDR functions and experiemnting with shutter speed. unfortunately i have really unsteady hands and things are often blurry. ...
In HDR mode, the S95 will take 3 pictures of the same scene. This takes more time than anyone could handheld the camera steady. Typically, a second or several, depending on lighting conditions. So a tripod is a must. You can basically choose any type, as long as it can hold your camera steady for some seconds.

Welcome! S95 should be good for pictures of your dog.

welcome to CS! your s95 should be more than enough to take stunning photos! enjoy your stay here!