Newbie with 450D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitColt78

May 23, 2009
Hi all!! Just bought the 450D and is experiencing all the function. Well am new to photography, Hope the experience wonderful ppl here will help me along as i grow...well currently comtemplating to buy a wide angle zoom lens EF-S10-22mm or a zoom lens like 18mm-200mm lens...

Just one qs...is the EF-S 10-22mm suitable for portrait shots?

10-22 and any ultra-wide are not typical portrait lens due to distortion at the wide end (characteristic of UWAs). You can still use it for portraits, but need to use "wide-and-tight" technique: at wide end i.e. 10mm get in physically close to the subject; typically 1 arm length away which is quite close.
Also UWAs might not have enough bokeh (deep DOF - another UWA characteristic).

Your kit lens 18-55 is good enough for portrait work, if you want better bokeh at cheap price can consider the 50mm f/1.8.

Last edited:
Hi all!! Just bought the 450D and is experiencing all the function. Well am new to photography, Hope the experience wonderful ppl here will help me along as i grow...well currently comtemplating to buy a wide angle zoom lens EF-S10-22mm or a zoom lens like 18mm-200mm lens...

Just one qs...is the EF-S 10-22mm suitable for portrait shots?

10-22 is too wide for portraits.

Like what cks2k2 had stated, a 50mm f1.8 II is a nice portrait lens to start with.

I see...thks alot for the reccomendation! its really useful. i suppose the EF-S 17-85mm will probably be the better choice base on the flexibility to take landscape, Group shot and portrait?

I see...thks alot for the reccomendation! its really useful. i suppose the EF-S 17-85mm will probably be the better choice base on the flexibility to take landscape, Group shot and portrait?

Ideally yes.

If you like landscapes, you can go for the 10-22 but having said that, it's a EF-S lens meaning if you intend to upgrade later, you may or may not be able to use the lens as it's designed for 1.6x cropped bodies only.

The 17-85 is a so-so lens: noticeable distortion on wide end and large max aperture (f/4-5.6).
Serious portrait shooters go with primes; the 50mm f/1.8 is the cheapest lens to get acquainted to this genre.

point noted...i do feel also that the 50mm f/1.8 is a good catch base on the price. but am tempted to get the 18-200mm as it basically covers everything that one needs. well i must say that u guys had been most helpful and forthcoming with ur advice, it really helps me to better guage what i want...so does u use a 450d too?

point noted...i do feel also that the 50mm f/1.8 is a good catch base on the price. but am tempted to get the 18-200mm as it basically covers everything that one needs. well i must say that u guys had been most helpful and forthcoming with ur advice, it really helps me to better guage what i want...so does u use a 450d too?

18-200 is a good travel lens. But the longer the focal length range, you have to compensate for image quality.

And yes, I'm a 450D user myself. ;)

Hi Hi! Welcome to CS!:)

450D + BG-E5 + kit + 10-22 + 50f/1.8 = me
The 10-22 is practically glued to my cam.

hi fellow 450D users..

Do join our 450 thread in kopitiam for TCSS and outings..;)

Probably you could use ur UWA lens for other creative shots or angles!

Welcome! Am also a 450D user. Hmm IMHO i'll say get use to the camera first and the kit lens try all kinds of shots before getting any new lens because at the end of the day if the lens is not to your liking it'll be a waste of $$.

Just my 2 cents! Cheers!

Thks for all the comments and advise! how do i share photos here? seems like there's no link for me to add my photos here for critique and comments...

It is important to understand your need before purchase.
I would suggest you play with your kit lens for a few times (at least 5 sessions / different outing / event, IMO) before you decide.

Example, if you go out to Explanade, and you start to realize you want to take wider view of landscape, that could probably mean you need a wider lens (though it could also mean you lacking in some technique).

Also, try take a portrait of your friend / family. You try to shoot at 50 mm focal length to see if it suits your style, before getting a 50 mm f1.8. Some may like longer reach, thus 85 mm suits, others feel 50 mm a bit narrow, thus they go for 30 mm / 35 mm.

in a nutshell, i feel that 10-22 is too wide for portrait. Landscape yes, portrait no. It will warp the subject outline.

if u r really interested in portrait. Try the 50mm f/1.8. Excellent quality at an even excellent price! Prime is inconvenient, but it certainly train you to be less lazy and teaches how to work with what you have :)

Hey guys, with all the advice and comments, i had made up my mind to have the following lens. kit lens 18-55mm, 50mm f1.8 and a 55-200mm. Think its will serve my needs to train myself up. bros, pls remember to jiu me out if u guys have shooting outing k? so that i can learn from u senior experience bros here.

Thks for all the comments and advise! how do i share photos here? seems like there's no link for me to add my photos here for critique and comments...

Read the sticky threads in the FAQ section. And all the other sticky ones as well regarding posting of pictures into certain sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.