Newbie, which DSLR to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHoon

Apr 16, 2007
Hi there,

I'm a newbie who's always loved photography but have nv got a dslr.
I've been looking around and still am undecided.
How/why did you guys decide to get a canon, or nikon or olympus or other brands?
Can share your views and advice?
Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hoon

Hi there,

How/why did you guys decide to get a canon, or nikon or olympus or other brands?
Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hoon

Best is to go down to the shops and and a try at them. Different people different choices so can't really advise on what exactly u should get.

Second that.

Don't get carried away with the "everyone has a C/N" thing, because eventually you'll be the one taking photographs and you gotta love your own camera for what it is.

Ergonomics should be your priority IMO, have fun testing out the cameras!

I'm with u bro, hard to decide between canon and nikon. Picking up bits here and there from bros here.

Yeah. Each brand has their own strengths and weaknesses so try them out to find out which really suits u and your budget too.

what is your budget first? from it u can narrow it down..

cos if u ask a canon guy, he will intro u canon, if u ask a nikon guy, he will intro u nikon...etc

Wanna know how I decide? Choose the brand that your friends use. That way, you can shamelessly leech on their equipment. Haha!

Find out yourself by reading up, you probably get confused with more comparison going on. Switching brand halfway could cost you even more money.

I agree with what you guys are saying.
So may i ask like if your a canon user what made u choose it?
If you a nikon user or whichever brand what made u choose it?

Hello...welcome.

There are DSLRs from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus and Panasonic. Do try them and see which suits you best and get something within your budget.

I agree with what you guys are saying.
So may i ask like if your a canon user what made u choose it?
If you a nikon user or whichever brand what made u choose it?

Honestly, some years ago, the only DSLR affordable to me was a Canon brand. :embrass:

Last edited:
if ur budget is higher than average, get the D90 for Nikon with kit lens. or u can wait for the Canon 500D with HD Video Capability and 15 mp.
do try out all the models to feel which one is the perfect one for you. For Canon you can go to the Canon shop at Vivo city to test out the bodies hands on.
As for nikon u gotta ask those "nikonians". yeah.
if ur a sony guy, den consider the A350. yeah. all 3 models shld be good enough.
if ur budget low, consider Canon 1000D, Nikon D60 or Sony A200.

Hi there,

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hoon
see how much you want to spend and which field interests you the most.

for me, i chose pentax k20d because for much less then $1.2k getting a lot of high end features like continuous shooting till card is full as well as 21fps burst mode. though currently at its price, the newer Olympus E620 with articulating lcd screen is pretty interesting.

Hi there,

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hoon

Ok,

well it's evry new photographer's headache. Honestly all brands are good it's jus up to your preferrence. Nikon has really good (Nikkor) lenses but they're expensive, that's why i didn't go to Nikon. Cannon is pretty much the middle man, but i don't like their dail interface in place of the 4 way navi.

So personally, I ended up with Olympus, years ago when I first started (aint noe if it is now). Olympus has arguebly the best colour in their pictures and their DSLRs are smaller due to the fact of the 4/3 system. So that's how I chosed my option.

Cost wise, these cams. are cheap Nikon D60, Canon 1000D and Sony A200. If you add a lil then maybe the E-420. (Generally looking at prices around 1k or lesser).
Going a lil higher, Nikon D90, Canon 450D/500D, Sony A350. And once again a lil more you get the E-520/E-620 from Olym. (Priced about 1k - 1.5k).

Cowz.

Last edited:
Just to add, consider the price of lenses when buying your system - the body is cheap in comparison.

I will be moving to Olympus soon because of this. I'm not willing to fork out $1.8k for a (1.5x) 17-55mm 2.8 from Nikon when $750 will get me a (2.0x) 14-54mm 2.8-3.5 from Zuiko.

And as what Stupidcowz mentioned, the colours from Oly blow me away :)

TS could try scourging the Flickr forums, a lot of good discussions on photos taken by each system, and their lenses and bodies - basically everything you want to know is located somewhere deep down in the forums :bsmilie:

Just to add, consider the price of lenses when buying your system - the body is cheap in comparison.

I will be moving to Olympus soon because of this. I'm not willing to fork out $1.8k for a (1.5x) 17-55mm 2.8 from Nikon when $750 will get me a (2.0x) 14-54mm 2.8-3.5 from Zuiko.

And as what Stupidcowz mentioned, the colours from Oly blow me away :)

TS could try scourging the Flickr forums, a lot of good discussions on photos taken by each system, and their lenses and bodies - basically everything you want to know is located somewhere deep down in the forums :bsmilie:

:thumbsup:

Yes bro, gotta love Olym for the colours. So is Olym still the best in colours?

Cowz.

:thumbsup:

Yes bro, gotta love Olym for the colours. So is Olym still the best in colours?

Cowz.

Definitely :) I'm a sucker for blues, so Oly gets my vote :thumbsup:

Others might have different priorities like reds, yellows, etc. so it's a personal thing :bsmilie:

Has the TS bought his camera yet?!

Too many choices = confused :confused:
Good luck to TS in finding ur dream camera !

Welcome to CS!

Gd luck with ur search. Read more from the forums to help you decide. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.