Newbie wedding photography questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

haslansalam

Jan 28, 2009
Pasir Ris
hi guys, need some inputs and suggestions from all of you here. I am a newbie and own a 1000D with 1)18-55mm kit lens 2) 50mm prime lens and 3) 75 - 300mm III USM telephoto.

My questions here will be:

1) What will be my lens if I have a chance to be a 2nd photographer in a Ballroom Wedding Dinner? My idea is to get candid shots of the bride and groom (face expression mainly from hip or chest level upwards) and let the official photographer shots all the family etc.

2) For a start, what flash can I grab?

3) ISO in a ballroom? 800 or 1600?

4) Any other tips please....

no fix formula... how to tell u??

watever it is .... just invest in an external flash.

for your camera, iso 800 max or lower.
If alot warm light ... u can even try 1600

Don't take the job until you are familiar with fill flash on Canon systems, combined with bounce technique and bounce card / diffuser. Take lots of pictures at your home to see what settings work. Once you are there at the ballroom you cannot start thinking much, it has to work.
Read here about flash on Canon: http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
Flash: any flash will do that is capable of ETTL, e.g. 430EX, 580EX or 3rd party. Don't use your on-camera flip-up flash.
ISO: will depend on the ambient light, your lens, required shutter speed and how much noise you can tolerate / remove later (actually, isn't that always the same question? ;) )
Lens: in terms of aperture your kit lens could do the job, but it would always be at widest aperture settings. Will give you soft pictures. Forget your 75-300, to slow and to lousy image quality.
Another tip: Think about White Balance. Sometimes tricky due to mixed lighting. Sometimes expodisk helps already, sometimes you need gel on flash. RAW is always good to give you enough chances for adjustments later.

Don't take the job until you are familiar with fill flash on Canon systems, combined with bounce technique and bounce card / diffuser. Take lots of pictures at your home to see what settings work. Once you are there at the ballroom you cannot start thinking much, it has to work.
Read here about flash on Canon: http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
Flash: any flash will do that is capable of ETTL, e.g. 430EX, 580EX or 3rd party. Don't use your on-camera flip-up flash.
ISO: will depend on the ambient light, your lens, required shutter speed and how much noise you can tolerate / remove later (actually, isn't that always the same question? ;) )
Lens: in terms of aperture your kit lens could do the job, but it would always be at widest aperture settings. Will give you soft pictures. Forget your 75-300, to slow and to lousy image quality.
Another tip: Think about White Balance. Sometimes tricky due to mixed lighting. Sometimes expodisk helps already, sometimes you need gel on flash. RAW is always good to give you enough chances for adjustments later.

you guys are great.. it's getting interesting!.. it's my cousins weeding and he already have a 'paid photographer'.. i will be there from the start too and follow him everywhere

The most important thing is to let the photographer do his job. Dun block him or fight for place with him/her. Take it easy and enjoy yourselves:)

If i'm the 2nd photographer just taking candids, i'll grab my 70-300, flash, switch to Av mode, ISO up to 800 or 1600 at f/5.6 (for my lens) and fire away.

You can also get/rent a 851.8 to take candids with natural lighting.

From first timer advise haha,
i believe 50mm for prime and 70-300mm since u already have it.

as i believe u'll be capturing facial expression so not so much of a WA shots...

flash wise...nv use flip up flash as it will spoil their mood if u use its "blink blink" auto-focus ...
but with external flash i believe you can focus better in low lighting area...no-light (i dun think it will happen haha) too.

rest is up to ur own creativity. :)
experiment first b4 shooting will be good.

just shoot it lol.

From first timer advise haha,
i believe 50mm for prime and 70-300mm since u already have it.

as i believe u'll be capturing facial expression so not so much of a WA shots...

flash wise...nv use flip up flash as it will spoil their mood if u use its "blink blink" auto-focus ...
but with external flash i believe you can focus better in low lighting area...no-light (i dun think it will happen haha) too.

rest is up to ur own creativity. :)
experiment first b4 shooting will be good.

just shoot it lol.

thanks bro.... good tips

for a start, can get Speedlite 380EX? or advice to just ISO 1600 and use 50mm 1.8 no need flash?

for a start, can get Speedlite 380EX? or advice to just ISO 1600 and use 50mm 1.8 no need flash?

380EX is a bit too outdated. Get the 430EX at least for more control. For weddings, sometimes flash is a must and ISO 1600 unless it's clean like 5D/5D MK II.

380EX is a bit too outdated. Get the 430EX at least for more control. For weddings, sometimes flash is a must and ISO 1600 unless it's clean like 5D/5D MK II.

agree~ go for 430ex2~ worth the money~ and in future can be use as a slave when u enter the professionalismofadigitalsinglelensreflexguruoftheguru:cool: hahaha

agree~ go for 430ex2~ worth the money~ and in future can be use as a slave when u enter the professionalismofadigitalsinglelensreflexguruoftheguru:cool: hahaha

A 430EX will be enough. The II unless u need the quick release mechanism.

so guys, my set up will be like this:

1) 50mm & kit lens
2) ISO 1600
3) 430EX speedlite (optional, i may not buy it)

thanks... will post the photos in april...

The great thing about being a tag-along 2nd photographer is that you have complete freedom to experiment and shoot whatever you wish, however you wish.

My advice for a first timer? Everything set to P-mode, concentrate on getting the angle, composition right. You might be overwhelmed by the day's events, so the last thing you need is the worry of what settings to use, when to use them, etc.

Regarding the flashgun, first question is: What do you hope to achieve?

Do you want your shots to be "safe", and be much like the main photographer's shots? i.e. everything must be properly illuminated and all faces must be seen clearly.

Or,

Do you want to experiment your own style? Artistic shots, perhaps? If this is the case, then yes, the flash is purely optional.

Seriously, don't worry so much. The important thing is to have fun. Believe it or not, the photographer's mood can really affect the outcome of the shots taken!

Last edited:
Seriously, don't worry so much. The important things is to have fun. Believe it or not, the photographer's mood can really affect the outcome of the shots you take!

I second that. A worried mind won't see the any opportunity right in front of his/her nose. A good photographer can become like an entertainer ... rewarded by priceless pictures as (s)he cheers up the people and the moods.

ok guys, here are the photos on my 1st try. Decided to use my kit lens and the pop up flash... please give comments...I wanna learn

3337934193_81a6039bd9.jpg

3338763010_cf3c183927.jpg

3338763860_b4b316a9d3.jpg

3337927919_16f9637186.jpg

3337915007_3e603c77af.jpg

My 2nd try will be next month at the ballroom... base on the photos above, can you guys advice me on what equipment to get, to improve the shots? eg lens (budget $600 - $800), speedlite... or any other stuffs, angle, etc..etc..etc

thanks in advance

Don't forget the option of renting equipment ! If you are tight on budget or not sure what to buy. Rent it for the event itself and explore the possibilities. If you are comfortable with primes, I'd say prime lenses are the way to go in ballrooms. If you like the flexibility of zooms, get the 24 - 70 &/or 70 - 200 f2.8 IS USM on another body. This setup will pretty much be able to cover all range. Also, judging from your shots, I think you need a speedlite.

But if you are going to buy, I'd say go for a 2nd hand 85mm f/1.8 (about $400) and a 430ex speedlite. Also, I would max out my iso (although noise will be a problem) but getting a shot with noise is better than no shot at all(or unusable shot) :)

bros, how abt Tamron 18-270mm VC?..izzit good for wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.