Newbie waves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbell42

Dec 20, 2005
East
Hi all, I am new here as well as pretty new to digital photography. Hope to get more advices from all the big bro & sis in here :rbounce:

Mind if I find out where are the various recommended places (ie must go) in Singapore to shoot? :embrass: :embrass:

Sentosa, Chinatown, Little India, Arab Street, Fort Canning, Orchard Road, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay, Jurong Bird Park, Zoo, Mount Fabar, etc.

As a newbies, I suggest that you start with your neighbourhood first. Wet market scenes are interesting. Soccer or basketball matches at the fields or courts around your vicinity can be a place where you can learn stop action photography. Senior citizen corners are always full of activities. Plus, events at your area's Community Centres can be photo-ops (line dancing, Qi Gong practice, musical culture performanaces, etc).

Astin said:
Sentosa, Chinatown, Little India, Arab Street, Fort Canning, Orchard Road, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay, Jurong Bird Park, Zoo, Mount Fabar, etc.

thanks astin.. been to quite a few of those u mentioned but was wif my old point & shoot cam... errm.. mayb i shd consider gg there again wif my new cammy :D

photobum said:
As a newbies, I suggest that you start with your neighbourhood first. Wet market scenes are interesting. Soccer or basketball matches at the fields or courts around your vicinity can be a place where you can learn stop action photography. Senior citizen corners are always full of activities. Plus, events at your area's Community Centres can be photo-ops (line dancing, Qi Gong practice, musical culture performanaces, etc).

thanks for tis tip... sounds interesting... i will go try tis ;)

Places I personally started off with were the Singapore River, Esplanade & Merlion, Chinatown...shoot at these places in bright daylight first to get used to your equipment, decide what aperture value is best for your general images, and to find your own way of handholding the camera steadily and comfortably.

When you've gained more confidence, take out a tripod to the same places, and even Clarke Quay, and try long exposures. If you hate using the tripod, bump the ISO up to 800 or 1600, switch the camera to Program mode (or equivalent) and shoot night photographs handheld.

Moving further, if you find yourself with a telephoto zoom, go to places like the zoo. Personally, I've had great difficulty shooting all these moving subjects, especially under lighting that's usually quite bad, and at long focal lengths. Focus gets tricky, and handholding is naturally more challenging at lower shutter speeds.

That said, there's no fixed way to learn photography because everyone does it differently. We can only recommend, then it's up to you to decide what you want to attempt first.

The bottom line from most people seems to be: shoot more, and shoot lots. Try different conditions of light, different times of the day, different angles...go high, very high (aerial photos, if you're rich enough to hire a helicoptor), go low, shoot for repeating patterns, bright colors, lines, abstract etc. And cute stuff always works well...all the little animal shots.

newbie here too.

i always like to go Esplanade & Merlion for shoots.not only u can take landscape with the surrounding buildings u also got lots of "models" to pose for u to learn portraits too ;p

thanks all for the response... welcome more "tour guide recommendations" ard sg :vhappy:

You don't really have to specifically go to places of interest to take photos, great compositions can be found everywhere. Photography is art and should be an expression of your imagination, it's not about going to typical 'shoot here' spots and duplicating what so many others have done before. Start by paying greater attention to the world around you, think of what makes the scene interesting and think about how you would intepret each scene.

Hope this helps!

Paul_Yeo said:
Hi Welcome!

When are you buying D200?

hi Paul_Yeo

u referring to me? :dunno:

if so, y D200? :dunno:

snowbell42 said:
hi Paul_Yeo

u referring to me? :dunno:

if so, y D200? :dunno:

I think he is selling his and wondering if you are interested.

About places to shoot. As I have suggested to you earlier, practice you shooting in the heartlands. Why? Simply because you do not have to carry your gears all to way to town and get back and shoulder aches, plus leg pains. There is always a foot reflexologist nearby your neighbourhood.

photobum said:
I think he is selling his and wondering if you are interested.

well, if tht's the case, thanks for the offer Paul_Yeo.. s i juz bought my canon, no intention of getting a new one or 2nd one at the moment :) unless there is a new cammy out in the market tht pulls my BIGGEST ATTENTION to it.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

photobum said:
About places to shoot. As I have suggested to you earlier, practice you shooting in the heartlands. Why? Simply because you do not have to carry your gears all to way to town and get back and shoulder aches, plus leg pains. There is always a foot reflexologist nearby your neighbourhood.

kinda used to carrying my gears everywhere (if i m out on the shooting expedition) :angel: but thanks anyway, will do more street shooting wif my new cammy :gbounce:

snowbell42 said:
kinda used to carrying my gears everywhere (if i m out on the shooting expedition) :angel: but thanks anyway, will do more street shooting wif my new cammy :gbounce:

Hey bro.... You are still young. I am already in my 40s so I get aches all over me if I walk too much or carry heavy gears.

My studio is hiring assistants right now. Interested to apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.