newbie wants to buy new lens (what was the first additional lens you got and why?)

wasak2000

Nov 30, 2010
Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
Hi everyone I just got my first DSLR a Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens thinking of getting my additional lenses which one do you think I should get first the AFS DX VR 55-200mm or the AFS DX 35mm f1.8 prime lens?

please none of those depends on what you are going to shoot answers if you were me what would you get?

Last edited:
What is limiting you from your kit lens ?

Hi everyone I just got my first DSLR a Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens thinking of getting my additional lenses which one do you think I should get first the AFS DX VR 55-200mm or the AFS DX 35mm f1.8 prime lens?

please none of those depends on what you are going to shoot answers if you were me what would you get?

What i will get also depends on what i want to shoot. If i cant determine wat i want to shoot, then how can i decide what i want to get..

Seems like ur last sentence is not very valid.... haiz..

What i will get also depends on what i want to shoot. If i cant determine wat i want to shoot, then how can i decide what i want to get..

Seems like ur last sentence is not very valid.... haiz..

i want the extra reach of the 55-200mm but i also want the IQ of the prime what was the first additional lens did you get and why?

Buy what you need. Not what other people buy. Because the in the end it REALLY depends on what you are going to shoot. :dunno::dunno:

If you are going to shoot F1 racing next, will it work if I tell you to buy the 35/1.8? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
i want the extra reach of the 55-200mm but i also want the IQ of the prime what was the first additional lens did you get and why?

70-200 f2.8 VR II, almost as sharp as a prime and has an extra reach.

Last edited:
Actually I would say get the Nikon 300/2.8. That's the definite next lens to get. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If not that, can also go for the Nikon 200-400/4VR

Just look at the comparison... wow!
http://www.hickingbotham.com/reviews/nikon300200400.htm

How can you forget this lens ?
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-200-500mm-Ultra-Telephoto-Nikon-Cameras/dp/B0013DAPNU

Just look at the honest raving reviews !!

I thought of recommending that as well... but what if front or back focusing ... then how??? need to carry into sigma service center in redhill leh... lehchey... :cry:

True true..

Seems like just have to lug it to redhill like this..

00176_sigma_lens_500mm.jpg

http://www.pma-show.com/news_images/00176_sigma_lens_500mm.jpg

Last edited:
nothing really just wanted to get those 2 lenses to be versatile in whatever i want to shoot (still finding out) like when you had your first DSLR what was the first additional lens that you got and why?

Versatility is also still dependent on what/how you want to shoot. The 55-200 will allow you to be versatile in terms of focal length at the expense of smaller and variable aperture. The 35mm will give you versatility in low light but gives up the convenience of zoom and reach. So in the end, it will still depend on what you need that lens for. Do you need to go fast, or do you need to go long?

though i held off buying any new lens until after a year to fully utilize my kit lens, my first after that was the 50 f1.8 coz it was fast, cheap and light, exactly what i NEEDED for the wedding i was going to use it for.

Buy what you need. Not what other people buy. Because the in the end it REALLY depends on what you are going to shoot. :dunno::dunno:

If you are going to shoot F1 racing next, will it work if I tell you to buy the 35/1.8? :bsmilie:

it might if you are in the pitlane ;)... i have no intention of buying what other people are buying just getting info on other peoples experiences when they were starting out with DSLR like what would be the next logical step in lens purchase to enjoy the hobby like i mentioned before i want to be versatile and not get pigeonholed in to just one genre of photography

Versatility is also still dependent on what/how you want to shoot. The 55-200 will allow you to be versatile in terms of focal length at the expense of smaller and variable aperture. The 35mm will give you versatility in low light but gives up the convenience of zoom and reach. So in the end, it will still depend on what you need that lens for. Do you need to go fast, or do you need to go long?

though i held off buying any new lens until after a year to fully utilize my kit lens, my first after that was the 50 f1.8 coz it was fast, cheap and light, exactly what i NEEDED for the wedding i was going to use it for.

bro when going FX? ;)

Explore what you like shooting with your current lens. Get a lens that suits your style of shooting(once you have figured what you like shooting), or when your current lens limits you in some way or another. Don't get lenses for the sake of getting them.

finally a straight answer thanks pasay...

Explore what you like shooting with your current lens. Get a lens that suits your style of shooting(once you have figured what you like shooting), or when your current lens limits you in some way or another. Don't get lenses for the sake of getting them.

thanks for the sensible advice ill hold off buying for now

it might if you are in the pitlane ;)... i have no intention of buying what other people are buying just getting info on other peoples experiences when they were starting out with DSLR like what would be the next logical step in lens purchase to enjoy the hobby like i mentioned before i want to be versatile and not get pigeonholed in to just one genre of photography

Other people's experience are quite irrelevant to you. Why? many people shoot different things. Even if some people shoot same subjects as you... they may even shoot the same subjects differently from you...

So... how lidat?

The best money you will spend, will be some books or photography course. Or you can save that money for later, and learn from the internet, books from library and join outings. Do not underestimate the kit lens... do not underestimate the man behind the camera.

Yup... look at bro jeezuinn... The lenses he went for are totally different from what I went for. He went for macro, while I went for UWA.

different people, different needs, different experiences.