Newbie wanna buy camer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retard

Jul 5, 2009
HI! i m new here.
friend recommended me this site to learn more about photography

I wanted to buy DSLR.
I dunno is it appropriate for me to start off with DSLR.
My main focus isnt on photography.
More towards graphic design
But photos will be a good media for me to do my design and get inspiration;)

I just read up a bit on DSLR offered.
Personally i prefered Nikon D40
It is light compare to other camera.
Good for travel.

Any other recommendation?
I wanna do more towards landscape, sports and macro.
Some camera that has good shutter speed
Megapixel doesnt matter
Price wise something cheaper.
Perhaps something below $1000
I dun mind older models.:D

Friends recommended Canon 400D
But when i search on reviews online.
Majority prefers Nikon D40 over Canon 400D

Anyone has any idea where to get Nikon 40D now?
First hand preferably.

Where to get them in Singapore?
Is that camera recently out only?
Any place you noe that sell old DSLR models?

1. All over the place. There are electronics shops everywhere.
2. The D40 is very very old and obsolete. I recommend a Sony A200 or A230. More features.
3. Yes, clubsnap's marketplace section.

Pentax Km
OP have stocks. KM + dual kit lens - $830

Otherwise I'd recommend MSColor. They should be able to bring in on request (should be within 1 wk)

I went to search btwn A200 and A230. They dun have much difference bwtn each right?
Price range?

I went to search btwn A200 and A230. They dun have much difference bwtn each right?
Price range?

The A230 is smaller and lighter, pic quality was improved a bit and it has a VERY user-friendly menu to really help newbies. You can get it for about 800 SGD with the kit 18-55 lens.

I think Olympus is good too. Am using Olympus E510 and I kinda like it. If you're new to photopgraphy, why not get a 2nd hand DSLR instead and then upgrade to a better and new one when you''re more into it?

hi there,

I will suggest going for a point&shoot camera if you passion lean more towards graphic design or visual arts.

You mention about photos will be a good platform for your design/inspiration and by being inspiration means everyday/daily life whatever you wanna call it IMO. A dSLR of cause helps a lot in the detail of the shots but it can't beat the compactness of a p&s BUT of cause its just my opinion here.

You get what i mean.. :)

i would rather suggest going for a PnS (read prosumer camera), i have both a prosumer also and a PnS also and now planning on DSLR. A prosumer camera like the Nikon P5100 (http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1203-985ad59bcd)...but BEWARE of one thing, this particular market segment is overly hyped And marketed. Few key features to look for is such a camera is

1) Sensor Size
2) IS feature
3) Program Modes available
4) 35mm Focal equivalent (if lower end is in range of ~24, then you are wide)

Most hyped and useless feature is the Megapixel!!

In these camera, you can also go in for a convertor http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=995-863a845162 to go more wide if required.

Just my 2 cents, dont be bogged down by my product suggestions, i just took the first example that came from the Nikon site, do your research.

DeepS
ps: I would strongly recommend against SONY, have 3 and IQ is not good

Many have suggested a PnS, and their points are valid esp. in terms of compactness. I'd be the devil's advocate :devil: and persuade you to get a DSLR. The Pentax Km as I suggested earlier is $830 which is not too far from an advanced PnS ($600+). It already comes with 2 lenses (18-55; 55-200) which covers what you need well esp. since you are looking at design and inspiration and will not require extremely fast lenses (the lenses offered are no slouch either). Image quality aside (PnS are quite capable as well), you will get more artistic options with the various lenses, focal lengths, depth of field (this area a PnS is weak b'cause of sensor size/lens design), precise exposure control on a DSLR. The DSLR (Km) is not too big either and will easily go into a bag. This can apply to other brands like Olympus or Panasonic as well, though I have no idea on their pricing.

TS wants to do "landscape, sports and macro"

If I recall correctly, PnS are never wide enough to do proper landscape, fast enough to do sports and mediocre at best when doing macro.

PnS are best at compactness/convenience/cost effective.

A compact/light weight dSLR is the best bet for TS and although the D40 is old but it's no slough.

Last edited:
TS wants to do "landscape, sports and macro"

ALL newbies on here want to do "landscape, sports and macro". :p

If I recall correctly, PnS are never wide enough to do proper landscape, fast enough to do sports and mediocre at best when doing macro.

Many PnS cameras have 20-24mm wide angle capability, which is not bad at all. Macro wise, many of the bridge cameras do surprisingly well. Sports? True, but which sports exactly? If it's in bright daylight, then yes, they're fast enough. And you don't need to buy a dedicated macro, dedicated wide-angle or dedicated telephoto lens.

PnS are best at compactness/convenience/cost effective.

A compact/light weight dSLR is the best bet for TS and although the D40 is old but it's no slough.

Not necessarily. If he gets a D40, he'll need to invest in lenses that cost 2-3x what his DSLR cost, plus a drycabinet, etc.

TS, I suggest you stick to a good PnS/bridge camera, and only invest in a DSLR system if you're sure you need it.

HI! i m new here.
friend recommended me this site to learn more about photography

I wanted to buy DSLR.
I dunno is it appropriate for me to start off with DSLR.
My main focus isnt on photography.
More towards graphic design
But photos will be a good media for me to do my design and get inspiration;)

I just read up a bit on DSLR offered.
Personally i prefered Nikon D40
It is light compare to other camera.
Good for travel.

Any other recommendation?
I wanna do more towards landscape, sports and macro.
Some camera that has good shutter speed
Megapixel doesnt matter
Price wise something cheaper.
Perhaps something below $1000
I dun mind older models.:D

Friends recommended Canon 400D
But when i search on reviews online.
Majority prefers Nikon D40 over Canon 400D

Anyone has any idea where to get Nikon 40D now?
First hand preferably.

You said yourself that you're not focusing on photography.... then why buy a DSLR? A PnS can also capture images for you to draw inspiration from for your graphic design.

Just came accross this thread...might be of interest. A perfect package for your needs...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539106

Getting into DSLR without it being even a hobby is sheer waste of resources which could have gone into your graphics design training classes.

DeepS
CAVEAT EMPTOR! - Verify the product and price by your own means

everyone is going to argue their case for the "brand" of camera they represent.. whether it be nikon, canon, olympus, sony, etc..
the best thing is to just go to the shop, see which one "feels the best" and get that one... honestly nowdays they are all about the same with very similar price ranges...

and no.. before someone says something im not trying to start a brand war

everyone is going to argue their case for the "brand" of camera they represent.. whether it be nikon, canon, olympus, sony, etc..
the best thing is to just go to the shop, see which one "feels the best" and get that one... honestly nowdays they are all about the same with very similar price ranges...

and no.. before someone says something im not trying to start a brand war
Heh, that's so true. We really need to put this up as a sticky. Or heck, even as a paragraph on the Newbie forum itself.

Also, on that note, I'm finding a trend lately where quite a significant number of people I know, who have no interest in doing photography seriously, get a DSLR anyway because of the improvement in photos it gives. Unlike film days, where film is the same regardless of the camera, this time the medium which the photos are displayed (large high resolution monitors) and the image capturing sensor combined makes a difference.

yes it's true. A few of my friends bought DSLRs and still have very little clue about proper exposure.
But the larger sensor, faster AF, larger LCD screen does help to make photography a much more enjoyable experience for them.
Just a pity that they only use about 10% of their camera's ability.

I heard from my friend about the brand doesnt matter
tat's why he recommended me an older model.
He told me not worth buying the camera body so ex.
Rather invest on the lens.

I cant say i totally has no interest in photography.
Photography can reli help a lot in terms of concept and for design

As for the types of sports.
Mayb sports like skating.
More interested in macros.
Mayb sometimes some night landscape, nature kinda landscape.

The image taken is not jus a reference
I might have to require to add in some layers, filters and stuff on the image.
Its part of the work, not reli purely a ref for drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.