Newbie venturing into DSLR grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanzw

Aug 15, 2006
hello everyone, am pretty new to CS, signed up only a few days ago. impressed by what this forum can offer and all the friendly members out there. :thumbsup:

i am intending to venture into DSLR shooting, have been using a sony W1 since it's first release. i thought it was a pretty good camera, especially at ISO-100 scenery shots indeed look perfect without needing much editing.

i thought i can venture a little bit furthur by using the advantages of a DSLR, like greater DOF, better ISO performance and the chance to work with RAW.

i have previously been working on a D70 in secondary school for 2 years. results are ok but not very impressed with their images at high ISOs. managed to work with 300D, 350D and the 30D in my current JC, have a couple of rich friends that have these expensive equipment for me to try out, i do say i am very fortunate. i have also experience with PS since sec 1, since my cca requires me to do editing and designing.

i am thinking of getting a 350D with kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 prime, and a 430EX.

cost SHOULD not be an issue here as i am financially capable myself to get these equipment, and my grandmother is interested to partly sponsor my venture.

what do you all think? comments appreciated!

wanzw said:
hello everyone, am pretty new to CS, signed up only a few days ago. impressed by what this forum can offer and all the friendly members out there. :thumbsup:

i am intending to venture into DSLR shooting, have been using a sony W1 since it's first release. i thought it was a pretty good camera, especially at ISO-100 scenery shots indeed look perfect without needing much editing.

i thought i can venture a little bit furthur by using the advantages of a DSLR, like greater DOF, better ISO performance and the chance to work with RAW.

i have previously been working on a D70 in secondary school for 2 years. results are ok but not very impressed with their images at high ISOs. managed to work with 300D, 350D and the 30D in my current JC, have a couple of rich friends that have these expensive equipment for me to try out, i do say i am very fortunate. i have also experience with PS since sec 1, since my cca requires me to do editing and designing.

i am thinking of getting a 350D with kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 prime, and a 430EX.

cost SHOULD not be an issue here as i am financially capable myself to get these equipment, and my grandmother is interested to partly sponsor my venture.

welcome to cs...

since u already noe wat u 1 to get...jus go for it...

yea. no doubt W1 is a very decent camera. went to holland and paris during sec 4 for my school trip. pictures turned out pretty well. the only problem i can think of for P&S is the direct flash issue and horrible images at high ISO.

dreamerz said:
welcome to cs...

since u already noe wat u 1 to get...jus go for it...

hmm. i just worried of the "3-min heat" thing. lol. problem is i have another hobby, computer hardware stuff. i have a nikon F65, pretty good. but parents are unhappy about crap pictures which cost $$$ to develop. that's another reason why i intend to go for digtial.

but i guess i am still much interested about DSLR photography. the opportunites are limitless.

Hi wanzw.

Welcome onboard CS. good decision to get the kit lens and 50mm f1.8 with the 350d. shoot on and don't forget to share with your photos with us ;)

... and beware of the BBB virus spreading around :bsmilie:

wanzw said:
hmm. i just worried of the "3-min heat" thing. lol. problem is i have another hobby, computer hardware stuff. i have a nikon F65, pretty good. but parents are unhappy about crap pictures which cost $$$ to develop. that's another reason why i intend to go for digtial.

but i guess i am still much interested about DSLR photography. the opportunites are limitless.

Can always sell your cam away when your "3-mins" is up.

Buggy said:
Hi wanzw.

Welcome onboard CS. good decision to get the kit lens and 50mm f1.8 with the 350d. shoot on and don't forget to share with your photos with us ;)

... and beware of the BBB virus spreading around :bsmilie:

won't get BBB. got buddy with 70-200L f/2.8 IS. can just borrow.

got both apple and windows systems to work with photos. i am a hardware addict.:eek:

jeffhiew said:
Can always sell your cam away when your "3-mins" is up.

the main cause of consideration is do i have enough time to take photography as a hobby. JC2 next year. much to do.

wanzw said:
won't get BBB. got buddy with 70-200L f/2.8 IS. can just borrow.

got both apple and windows systems to work with photos. i am a hardware addict.:eek:

what happen if he dun lend u leh...:embrass:

he will definitely lend. lol.

dsc00046sb7.jpg

the L lens user was using a 30D, he went off with his 17 - 85 IS, so we took his 70-200L to play on another guy's 350D. the flash is just put there for fun. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

-taken with SE k608i

wanzw said:
he will definitely lend. lol.

dsc00046sb7.jpg

the L lens user was using a 30D, he went off with his 17 - 85 IS, so we took his 70-200L to play on another guy's 350D. the flash is just put there for fun. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

-taken with SE k608i

thats my lens! i won't lend :bsmilie:

lol lol lol lol lol lol. that picture rocks la. hehe. you mug for a levels i go and steal and use.:bigeyes: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

to me u r not newbie at all.. since u hav the knowledge and know wat u need.. guess u wont be spending much either..
when i started i also afraid dat i hav the 3 min heat thingy.. till now it stil goes on and loving it..

VR2 said:
to me u r not newbie at all.. since u hav the knowledge and know wat u need.. guess u wont be spending much either..
when i started i also afraid dat i hav the 3 min heat thingy.. till now it stil goes on and loving it..

well, still a newbie because have never properly owned a camera. at school once i get the camera i am required to start shooting. no opportunites to practice.

wanzw said:
well, still a newbie because have never properly owned a camera. at school once i get the camera i am required to start shooting. no opportunites to practice.

eh sry, ain't shooting the best way to practice? :think:

true, shooting is the best way but then you need to understand that there are only 2 D70 to facilitate among 10+ students. dun get the chance to really sit down and start practising.

panzerpunk said:
I broke already, just bought the 17-55, sold the 17-85.

Wah.. so fast ah? Make me jealous already..

I am still saving for it bro.. :sweat:

Remember to gimme some feedback hor!;)

Since you already hv experience with the 350D & feel alright with the handling I think u can hardly go wrong with those. :)

Me a 350D user too & so far happy with the performance.

Only advise is try to stop down 2/3 stop when shooting with the 50f1.8 if possible. The quality from f2.2 onwards is :thumbsup:

wanzw said:

Status
Not open for further replies.