newbie tulip fotos... need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Aug 15, 2004
nothing innovative about the composition or lighting but I feel these flower fotos are able to 'punch my face' compared to my old stuff. appreciate any advise, or links on how to improve. if I wanna do a higher-mag macro, how do I go about doing that?

Shot with d300 & shitty sigma70-300 lens... no lighting equipment, my matte black cabinet & blue suitcase as ghetto backgrounds...

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

hi guys... any comments? or they're just really boring fotos?

1 & 2 looks like parachutes, brilliant colours... i like 3,4,5... very zen and still.
May i ask what lens you were using? I'm a newbie too, using nikon D40 with kit lens. Would like to learn to shoot macro closeups.

1 & 2 looks like parachutes, brilliant colours... i like 3,4,5... very zen and still.
May i ask what lens you were using? I'm a newbie too, using nikon D40 with kit lens. Would like to learn to shoot macro closeups.

sigma70-300 lens as stated :)

I think for the first 2 top view shots there's too much open space on the left, perhaps you can crop some off. Other than that I think the photos have good clarity and colour saturation, based on these photographs I don't see why you can consider the Sigma lens as 'shitty', it worked well for you didn't it?

"newbie"? i dun think so...unless you were referring to the tulip :bsmilie:

nice shots! :thumbsup:

Maybe some very dark green leaves in the background instead of plain for the first 2 shots? Just an idea you might want to consider.

if anything i would say the color of the last pic is off....by looking at the turquoise stem ;p

thanks for the advice & comments guys..

i'm really newbie la, I think this simple composition done before... and the leaves idea sounds good. didnt think of that. I just wonder any other guidelines to share... I think a closeup macro lens would be good when I have the budget...

the sigma lens honestly is not that bad, I just exaggerate since I find its soft at 300mm so in essense, I feel its basically a 70-200mm.

anyway, any lighting techniques to backlight the flower? I used a simple flashlight but that didnt work so well...

I'm newbie also so no constructive comments. It seems your pics all been through heavy color correction process, isn't it? The color is vibrant, but a bit unnatural.

BTW, where u bought the tulips? :D

yea, they are a bit unnatural. but I like it that way. the first shot was shot on d300's 'vivid' mode which is kinda wacky but fun. the rest are shot with a more neutral setting and put through my post-process workflow with increased contrast.

I bot em at far east flora on thomson...

70mm can go so close into the flower?

damn nice flower shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.