newbie trying to get a sub $1000 SLR ...


Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2005
3
0
0
#1
how about Sony Cybershot DSC-H1?

any other suggestions?
 

Oct 24, 2005
3
0
0
#3
majere2sg said:
SLR ? Its not a DSLR camera.. just a SLR-Like digicam.
i really know nuts about such things loh ... any suggestions?
 

Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
33
Clementi
#4
there are 2 threads in the buy and sell forum now selling minolta 5D for $1100. with kit lens, batt, and 1 GB CF card. i suggest u get that.
 

Oct 24, 2005
3
0
0
#5
Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
there are 2 threads in the buy and sell forum now selling minolta 5D for $1100. with kit lens, batt, and 1 GB CF card. i suggest u get that.
wah thats a little too steep for my budget
 

#7
innocent_boy said:
wah thats a little too steep for my budget
Its very unlikely to get a DSLR + lens + battery + memory card for all under $1000.
Just consider a normal digicam..
Not too sure abt the price of the Sony digicam which u mentioned. You might like to add in the cost of the memory stick pro and extra batteries too.
You can consider the Panasonic FZ20, Canon S2 IS, Fuji S9500 too.
 

felixcat8888

Senior Member
May 8, 2005
9,263
17
38
52
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#8
innocent_boy said:
how about Sony Cybershot DSC-H1?

any other suggestions?
This cam is a prosumer digicam, not a DSLR/SLR that you are looking for. An SLR can change lenses and the prosumers cannot. I have not heard of a DSLR that goes for under $1000 yet.

Sony H-1
Canon S2 IS
Panasonic FZ-20/FZ-5/FZ-30

all are prosumer digicams with manual controls.
 

Lensman

New Member
Feb 12, 2002
903
0
0
47
Singapore & Hong Kong
#9
Film SLR's running cost is very high compared to DSLR.

Well , unless our friend wanted to buy brand new. It is possible to get a pre-owned Canon 300D kit for about that price or less.

Top up a bit more for a decent (read BIG) memory card (1Gb) for about $100++ .

And he can start with Digital photography.


majere2sg said:
Its very unlikely to get a DSLR + lens + battery + memory card for all under $1000.
 

n0d3

New Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
0
#10
I don't think hes looking for a SLR/dSLR and please stop recommending him one. The costs of owning an SLR system would defintely be more than $1000, even if you get one with a kit lens its probably not going to satisfy him anyway.

To the threadstarter, I think you can consider several prosumer models such as the Canon S2 IS, the Powershot Pro1 or the FZ20 etc. You can check out www.dpreview.com for reviews.
 

Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#11
n0d3 said:
I don't think hes looking for a SLR/dSLR and please stop recommending him one. The costs of owning an SLR system would defintely be more than $1000, even if you get one with a kit lens its probably not going to satisfy him anyway.
It shouldn't be too difficult to find a decent second hand SLR for S$250 (probably even for much less).
 

n0d3

New Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
0
#12
Should have stated dSLR on the second sentence, my bad.
 

Aug 16, 2005
3,157
0
0
Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
#13
You looking for a sub $1000 body only or kit??
Sub $1000 Bodies:
2nd Hand 300D body
2nd Hand D70(if you are lucky)body
Sub$1000 Kit:
2nd hand 300D kit
but it wont just end here....you've still gotta include the prices for your other lenses,filters,cleaning kit,bags....personally,I feelery difficult to get a sub-$1000 DLSR system,unless you can get all these things at real-low prices,2nd hand......:)
just my $0.02 worth.....
 

Dec 31, 2004
1,321
0
0
Yishun
#15
innocent_boy said:
i really know nuts about such things loh ... any suggestions?
based on this statement ... i'd say he should be going for a prosumer ... one with decent manual controls ... and learn from there ... when wealthier and more skilled then go dslr ...
 

JuzJaz

New Member
Sep 21, 2005
149
0
0
Xin Jia Po
#18
i currently own a H1..havent start using yet, juz bought last sunday! haa.. but very happy with my purchase. compact camera with all the functions necessary for learning...till i reach 'there', then i'll get DSLR. haa...

Canon S2 IS is not bad too, so is Panasonic's FZs..but i prefer H1 still, after reading up reviews from dpreview.com. the sony talk forum there has lotsa insights on H1. it's becoming more popular there, plus the help & advice u can get from there. i'll say H1 doesnt lose out to other brand at all. juz tat Singapore has a trend towards Canon/nikon...

Good luck!!!
 

JuzJaz

New Member
Sep 21, 2005
149
0
0
Xin Jia Po
#19
oh one weird thing i notice...while pple complain abt the high cost of memory stick...i find no reason why they can continue to spend more money on other stuffs...erm..i duno if i expressed myself well here...but it's something like tat lah. even if u dun spend on memory stick, u'll continue to spend on other stuffs...it's like a photography whirlwind tat got u plurging more n more money for the gadgets. the 'high cost' of memory stick is somewhat like an excuse to condemn sony...IMHO. & btw, memory stick ain't tat expensive now, if u got lobangs. ha...

anyway, it's all juz preferences & bias =P dun mean to start any flames :X
 

Jun 27, 2002
3,802
0
0
here
www.9frames.com
#20
JuzJaz said:
oh one weird thing i notice...while pple complain abt the high cost of memory stick...i find no reason why they can continue to spend more money on other stuffs...erm..i duno if i expressed myself well here...but it's something like tat lah. even if u dun spend on memory stick, u'll continue to spend on other stuffs...it's like a photography whirlwind tat got u plurging more n more money for the gadgets. the 'high cost' of memory stick is somewhat like an excuse to condemn sony...IMHO. & btw, memory stick ain't tat expensive now, if u got lobangs. ha...

anyway, it's all juz preferences & bias =P dun mean to start any flames :X
funny, memony stick ain't that expensive? are you comparing other stuff as in other memory devices or accessories?

for memony devices, Sony Memony is stick is definally more expensive than other types of memony such as SD cards and CF cards. That's afact!
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom