newbie to SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimeow

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
Hi!
I am thinking of taking up photography as a hobby but I am not familiar and don't know which option to take.

I have currently my dad's old Canon EOS1000FN and my own canon prima zoom.
Can the old canon EOS still be used, i.e. add-ons? Good enough?

I don't have a very big budget as i am a newbie. Was thinking of getting a DC but on second thought, pic quality will not be good and i can't push the camera to its limit without getting all the digital glitch such as CA problems (budget does not included DSLR).

Hi there, I'm also a newbie. Am also using an old camera. A Nikon F601.
Some ppl say its old, dun have the latest features & such.

But my question to them is: Its still a decent SLR that is able to snap photos & produce pretty acceptable results. Of course hardware & better specifications does help.
I believe its more of a person's creativity & skill is still more important rather than the equipment.
Give a professional an entry level SLR, he should be able to get good results as compared to an average photographer with expensive equipments.

Therefore, I personally believe that ur Canon SLR should be sufficient for a beginner, provided its in good working order.
Either than that, I'm not sure if Canon has compatibility issues with later lenses. That, I cannot advise.

I think the more advanced features like eye control, DOF preview is nice to have, but all these can still be achieved in manual mode if u know the know how.

I think most important is u know how to use the camera well in manual mode & master it, b4 moving on.

Cheers ;)

Originally posted by mimeow
Hi!
I am thinking of taking up photography as a hobby but I am not familiar and don't know which option to take.

I don't have a very big budget as i am a newbie. Was thinking of getting a DC but on second thought, pic quality will not be good and i can't push the camera to its limit without getting all the digital glitch such as CA problems (budget does not included DSLR).

Depends on your budget. As I am using Nikon, I can only recomend nikon cam.

There is a singnet ads, F65 kit selling for $300. It's a good deal as new F65 kit is abt 600+. Kit comes with either a 28-80 or 28-100 G lens. Should be good enuff for most situation. Add a 50/1.8 @ 170(new) if you find it laking.

From this camera, slowly add in more lens when you have more $$.

I am not too sure abt tour dad's canon cam, maybe those familar can advise?

It better to first borrow some photography books from e National library.Learn e basic and what r e features u actually need in a camera and lenses.Then get some brochures from Canon,Minolta or Nikon showroom related to camera & lenses. U can also go to www.photograhyreview.com to see how people rate a particular cam, lens & accessories b4 u buy one.Quite a no .of ppl selling 2nd hand at clubsnap.

Not to forget,ur interest may slowly shift from one area to another area as u explore into e vast world of photography.
Some ppl start off with wideangle to take landscape,then they found their passion in sport and bought a 400mm lens.Jus an example.:gbounce:

Yes!! the EOS is enough (as long as it has a lens! :bsmilie: ). I started out with a Minolta X300 ok! (do you know what that is? :D )

Don't have to buy anything at all. But go look at people's photos and read up (for free at the lib.) & go take photos! :rbounce:

The EOS1000 series lens mount is made of plastic not the metal type, so be careful when using heavy lenses. As long the Canon lens use is not those heavy type... there shouldn't be any problem. ;)

Actually, you can learn and appreciate photography with even a point and shoot camera. What is important is the basic 3 points to consider before you shoot any shot.
1. What is the theme
2. What is the object
3. Have you simplified the shot to achieve the above 2 points.

In short, composition is the key. Then you can go get the fancy SLRs with all the fancy features etc. They are useful, but only assist you in achieving the above points.

Maybe you should enrole yourself in a photo course and then decide what you need to get....

Hi mimeow,

I tend to agree with YellowTang. You have to ask yourself what you like to shoot first before going out to buy anything.

I used a F601 for about 8 years b4 upgrading to a F90x. As I don't shoot sports, birds so I don't own a long lens. Even my 70-210 lens is grossly underutilised.

You could join a basic course like those conducted by PSS. The link is http://www.pss1950.org/
I think they have quite a good course as many pp sign up for it. I have signed up before for the studio lighting course. The basic course outline is quite varied and you get to try quite different things. There are also instructors to guide you. You can then decide to make your next purchase.

If I remember correctly, the EOS1000 do not have a B mode. My cousin had this camera for 2 years when he was a student.

Regards.

Get an Canonet and you will sure love the 40mm f1.7 lens.

I have Canon EOS 1000N before. The problem with this camera is oil leack at the shutter blade, making the blade jam or not open when u press ur shutter. End up with many black frames in ur film...

With limited budget, I kind of don't recommend going into digital. Either Canon EOS300 set or Nikon F65 set would do fine. If u can stretch ur budget a little bit futher, Canon EOS 30 or Nikon F80 would be better.

If u are on limited budget, maybe u should just buy a lens and continue using on ur EOS1000 first (Since camera is just a black box...;p ). I recommend Canon 28-105mm, around S$250 in the 2nd hand market.

Can't deny that digital is very much fun, but it is not the luxury I can afford at the moment... :(

and i thought i was the only one lugging around an eos1000 in this day and age.

mine's a 1000qd but what's the diff.... it doesn't leak oil. it serves my purpose. i'd only upgrade if i want something 300g lighter or if i'm desperate for ETTL flash technology. otherwise not much compelling reason to upgrade yet.

The oil leakage is due to heat according to photo shops. So, make sure u don't leave ur camera in car during sun shine afternoon. ;)

Buy lens then...better use of money compare to buying a blackbox... :D

Thanks for the replies guys.
I took out the old Canon, still look good though but haven’t used it for ages. After reading your posts, it got me thinking about my “new” camera and what my requirements are.

1)I’d like to learn how to take macro shots and also landscape (incl building structures). That would also mean going outdoors.

2)My budget was initially RM$2600 for a DC (was actually looking into the C-5050 :p) so should be ok to get new camera, hopefully at half my budget then I can have spare cash for other things.

3)If I do get a camera, I hope that it should be able to last (I don’t want anything melting away)

Btw, how much does the Canon EOS300 and Nikon F65 cost?
Perhaps I can buy a new camera and still have the old SLR to play with, i.e. two cameras for different functions.

Btw, how much does the Canon EOS300 and Nikon F65 cost?
Perhaps I can buy a new camera and still have the old SLR to play with, i.e. two cameras for different functions.

Quoted price for F65 is abt S$620 at cathay. F80 is $650 w/o lens.
Price w/o GST.

Canon counterpart should be priced at abt the same region.

For night scene and macro shot, a tripod and release cable are important. They will cost abt S$150-200 for a good one.

Consider 2nd hand if you are looking to save some money at a risk.

if the old canon still works i don't recommend buying a body like EOS300 or F65. use the old one seriously until you can upgrade to something better than those 2, e.g. EOS30 or F80.

you haven't mentioned what lens you have with the 'old' EOS (aiyah, autofocus can't be that old). what's its macro capability?

3)If I do get a camera, I hope that it should be able to last (I don’t want anything melting away)

Hi i think it's better for you to get a film SLR as they really last for a long long time if handle with care. Look at those FM2 or any other RF, they are very long lasting...like my canonet...almost 30 years and it still works well...even the built in light meter.

okay....I'm back.

I am staring at the camera now...see alot of dials etc...(before i continue, i have to mention that i know next to nothing about SLRS and all, but hey we all start somewhere. Now reading up as much as I can but still don't quite get it yet).

At the front of the lens, i see this :
Canon Soom lens EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6
Er, can someone explain? :dunno:
er, do I need a better lens then?

Aiyoh, found out that the flash is not working. :kok: Looks like I have to take it for repairs.

go look for and read the instruction manual, both for the camera and the lens.

i think it will do for landscape & architecture but not for really close macros. for large close-ups you will either need a macro lens or an extender. the good thing about an extender (teleconverter) is that you can use it with other lenses (but you should check out whether they are compatible with USM & other special canon lenses).

i'd actually recommend that you buy a good solid tripod before another lens. you'll probably need it for landscape & macros.

Thanks for the great advice.
Don't have the manual anymore (my dad misplaced it long time ago) but luck has it that i found it online. Its not the original manual but one that a chap compiled based on his experience etc.
Reading up now.
Will let you guys know how it turns out.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.