newbie to photoshop, some queries..TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
i'll come straight to the ques,

1)if i create a canvas of 8 inch by 12 inch(super 8R), and i do a montage on it.then i decided to develop in 5R(5x7 inches).from what i understand, there will be cropping.can i actually use 'image resize' to resize the montage to 5 x 7 inch without the images being distorted?will this resizing still result in cropping if i develop 5R?

2)if the above ans is yes, what's the best way to go about it?this is because eventually i might want to develop a super 8R size, and hence do not really wanna work on a 5R size canvas.

3)when i drag pics onto the new image, i have to resize the pics using 'free transform'.is there a way to resize it by maintaining it's aspect ratio?else, does that mean i have to visually adjust the image so that it wont be distorted (as in face becomes longer or wider)?

4)is there a easier way to draw lines other than using the pen tool?i find it quite 'tedious' cos when i click on 2nd point, and if my line aint straight, i'll have to 'redo' the line drawing again.i'm hoping to find a tool that's like microsoft word in drawing lines.it's so much simpler!:dunno:
i'm using the wacom tablet.

5)how do i create simple borders for my images?

sigh...maybe i should really go for photoshop lessons.i spent my entire weekends playing with it and can be very frustrating when i cant solve some of the probs i faced with CS2.:dunno: :(
please help: :D :heart: :

also, how do u guys and gals learn PS?

do u attend courses or it's really self taught?

and how long did it took you before u pals manage to create those beautiful images i see in galleries?

i really hope to master ps...but i know it's a long way for me.:confused:

For Q1 and Q2:

resize the S8R to a maximum length 7", with constrain proportions option "on". then increase the canvas size of weight to 5", now you have a 5"'x7" without cropping or distortion

i think reading up books or taking courses might help. some of it comes with experience and practice.

1. you simply have to create a seperate layout or crop for the 5R size.

2. Ditto / vice-versa.

1,2. Probably juggling and cropping white space around the edges of your layout will be the fastest way, so you don't move any objects / elements in your design.

3,4. The shift key is your friend.

4. Use the line tool.

5. Depends on the type of effect you are after.. plain? patterned? brushed edges? etc..

For Q3:

click the maintain aspect ratio option "on", the chain icon between the W and H of the free transform interface.
or

Hold shift key while draggind the mouse.

igpenguin said:
1. you simply have to create a seperate layout or crop for the 5R size.

separate layout means i have to 'redo' my montage all over again for the 5R size?

or :dunno:

also, why is it that when i click ruler on, the measurement is different when i place a real ruler:bsmilie: on the screen?

i really hope you guys(i assume;) ) dun find my questions stupid.

thanks a mil:lovegrin:

catchlights said:
Use canves size, or stroke, and the are many other ways.

care to give me some examples please?:sweat: :sweatsm:

jeanie said:
separate layout means i have to 'redo' my montage all over again for the 5R size?
You can duplicate your original document and work on it duplicate document.

jeanie said:
also, why is it that when i click ruler on, the measurement is different when i place a real ruler:bsmilie: on the screen?
try different zoom setting, mine is about 32%.

My borders are usually made this way:
1. make sure your main image layer is not locked
2. create a new layer and place in under the main image layer
3. Increase the canvas size to the border sizes required
4. Flood fill the layer below the image with the deisered colour.
5. rezie/crop to needed dimentions.

catchlights, raptor,

If using a tablet, one easy way to draw a straight line is to use a physical ruler...no kidding :)

Try borrowing books from the library...plenty of very useful books on a variety of PS topics...the courses I have come across so far offer mainly basic stuff, even the so called advanced ones...and cost quite alot of $$$ (except those by CS members :) )...good to build a foundation but to master PS, be brave and try out different stuff on your own :)

jeanie said:
also, how do u guys and gals learn PS?

do u attend courses or it's really self taught?

and how long did it took you before u pals manage to create those beautiful images i see in galleries?

i really hope to master ps...but i know it's a long way for me.:confused:

if u are talking about images... they are not 'created' by PS.. :) they are merely 'enhanced' by PS.. this is afterall a photo forum, not a digital manipulation forum.

anyway, if you are looking for a good book, try PS books by scott kelby. I like his books, simple instructions and easy to try on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.