Newbie to Photography on 60D

ant0800

Nov 26, 2010
Punggol
Hi All seniors and fellow shooters, I am a total newbie to the world of photography. Just got myself a Canon ESO 60D and looking to learn from everyone here. Just got the 60D with kit I lens (EF S18-55). Now considering to get a good value 'beginner' tripod to go shooting with you guys (mentioned that no coaching on outing if no tripod). Do hope for some advice from all here... :D

Last edited:
Hi All seniors and fellow shooters, I am a total newbie to the world of photography. Just got myself a Canon ESO 60D and looking to learn from everyone here. Just got the 60D with kit I lens (EF S18-55). Now considering to get a good value 'beginner' tripod to go shooting with you guys (mentioned that no coaching on outing if no tripod). Do hope for some advice from all here... :D

Make a trip to Funan to "play" with the tripods at each place.

I think Sirui and Benro are popular choices for 2ub $200 , tripod with basic ball head.

I personality thought that Sirui offers quite value for money quality tripod. If interested , can head down to TK Photo at Funan and see .

If you are serious about photography, do invest in a good tripod. Afterall, tripods are not something that will be outdated or spoilt easily.
Spending a bit more in the beginning will save you more money than upgrading in the future.

If you are serious about photography, do invest in a good tripod. Afterall, tripods are not something that will be outdated or spoilt easily.
Spending a bit more in the beginning will save you more money than upgrading in the future.

I agree. Depending on your height, I got my correct tripod after the third attempt. Its a Sirui N2204 with G-20 head for $500.00 at TK. Most importantly, try out at the shop in your own time. Never get pressurized to buy.:)
Cheers.
LEW

Welcome to CS . . . ;)

Try the tripod yourself . . . TK at Funan is a good place to start . . . :)

Good..you know what to do next ...buy flash and Filters

Hi there,

How much U bought for your D60? Actually I was thinking of getting the Canon EOS 550D or the Nikom D3100 with guide mode. Do show me some pics from your 60D before I lay my hands on this.

I appreciate that.

Thanks.

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks skylover for the welcome. Indeed the threads are useful especially when I am a first time owner/user of DSLR (previously using Canon Powershot S3 IS) esp the landscape portion.

Congrats for getting your camera! Welcome!

Hi there,
How much U bought for your D60? Actually I was thinking of getting the Canon EOS 550D or the Nikom D3100 with guide mode. Do show me some pics from your 60D before I lay my hands on this.

I suggest that if you want to view photos taken with any particular camera, you visit a gallery which allows searches for camera/lens models. Flickr and www.pixel-peeper.com come to mind.

But really, I don't know if will do you any good. It's very hard to distinguish between the output of DSLRs from the same generation. Most current APS-C models deliver about the same results.

10-to-1, if it's a bad shot, it was the photographer, not the camera ;)

I suggest that if you want to view photos taken with any particular camera, you visit a gallery which allows searches for camera/lens models. Flickr and www.pixel-peeper.com come to mind.

But really, I don't know if will do you any good. It's very hard to distinguish between the output of DSLRs from the same generation. Most current APS-C models deliver about the same results.

10-to-1, if it's a bad shot, it was the photographer, not the camera ;)

Yes I agree with you that the results are more or less the same given it is APS-C model. Anyway I have decided to buy the Canon EOS 60D Kit II 18-55mm, EOS promo lens as well as EF-S 55-250mm lens. I will try out 1st before confirming to buy additional lenses.

Do guide me along. Appreciate that.

Peter

Last edited:
Hi there,

I appreciate that.

Thanks.

Peter

I am a newbie to photography so I would say the phtos I take as of now will not do justice to the 60D... :embrass:

Yes I agree with you that the results are more or less the same given it is APS-C model. Anyway I have decided to buy the Canon EOS 550D Kit II 18-55mm, EOS promo lens as well as EF-S 55-250mm lens. I will try out 1st before confirming to buy additional lenses.

Do guide me along. Appreciate that.

Peter
wah... u more pro than me... do guide me along... thank you... :)

Ok we all started as a newbie right? So long you shoot and be guided, surely the shoots will be better. Best of luck. Anyway if I buy the 60D, maybe we can arrange a shoot and hopefully some seniors here can provided pointers to us. Thanks.

Ok we all started as a newbie right? So long you shoot and be guided, surely the shoots will be better. Best of luck. Anyway if I buy the 60D, maybe we can arrange a shoot and hopefully some seniors here can provided pointers to us. Thanks.

:thumbsup: onz !!

Sirui at TK, or Manfrotto at Cathay for reasonably priced and good tripod.

I am 1.78m, with budget of $200 and looking at the following tripods:

Fotopro C5i Colorful 2 in 1 Travel Tripod(+Monopod) - $230 Local shop
• CNC machined and harden anodized finishing body.
• 2 in 1 design,One leg can be released and used as a Monopod.
• Folded size:43cm
• Min operating H.:11cm
• Max operating H.:157cm
• Net weight:1.17kgs
• Loading capability:8kgs
• Max Tube:25mm diameter
• 4-section

Specification about Fotopro 51G Panhead
• Camera mounting screw:U1/4.
• Tripod mounting screw:U3/8.
• 36mm diameter ball.
• Net weight:400grams.
• Max Loading Capacity:12kgs.

OR

HorusBennu NEO-1128TT Traveler Camera Tripod MonoPod + LX-1T Ball Head - $226 Online
• Magnesium alloy body.
• 2 in 1 design,One leg can be released and used as a Monopod.
• Folded size:48.5cm
• Min operating H.:10cm
• Max operating H.:140cm
• Net weight:1.25kgs
• Loading capability:6kgs
• 4-section

Specification about HorusBennu LX-1T Ball Head
• Mounting screw:U1/4 or U3/8.
• Net weight:260grams.
• Max Loading Capacity:4kgs.

OR

HorusBennu 747X Excalibur tripod + NS-BH1 Ball HEAD - $93 Online / $125 Local shop
• Aluminium body.
• Folded size:48.5cm
• Min operating H.:15cm
• Max operating H.:144.5cm
• Net weight:1.15kgs
• Loading capability:18kgs
• 4-section

Specification about HorusBennu NS-BH1 Ball HEAD
• Mounting screw:U1/4 or U3/8.
• Net weight:290grams.
• Max Loading Capacity:7kgs.

Any reviews or comments or suggestions greatly appreaciated... Looking to get my 1st trip this weekend if possible so can start joining the outings... :)

Last edited: