Newbie to ND flters

SleepyWhiskers

Jun 19, 2013
Singapore
I'm thinking of getting ND filters (not graduated type). Is it better to start by getting a circular one? or start investing with filter holder type? Do you know any shop that gives good prices for ND filters?

I'm thinking of getting ND filters (not graduated type). Is it better to start by getting a circular one? or start investing with filter holder type? Do you know any shop that gives good prices for ND filters?

Both have it's advantages and disadvantages.

Square type is more expensive in general but can be used across many lenses with different diameters so long as have the holder adapter ring for the diameter.

Circular ones is abit cheaper and no problems with light leaks. (The square types 'may' require a gasket to prevent light leaks). And usually I'll go for the largest size for common lenses, so for smaller sized lenses, just buy the step down rings. But you may face issue when the common diameter is slowly not so common....(I'm using 77mm circular ones as they worked well with my prev crop sensor lenses like 10-22, 17-50, but if I'm going to get any higher end lenses like 16-35 mk ii or 24-70ii, I'll have to re-buy my filters... cos it's 82mm)

I'll say, if you are not gong to use any gnds, go straight for the circular ones. It will be a pain to mix both circular ones and holder type.

Skystrike- this is exactly the reason why I still haven't gotten a set of GND/ND filters aside from a big stopper for mirrorless lenses.

Still cant work out whether to plunge deeper into E mount or Canon lenses for landscapes! Doesn't help that the Samyang 14mm's filter holder is specific to the lens only.

Skystrike- this is exactly the reason why I still haven't gotten a set of GND/ND filters aside from a big stopper for mirrorless lenses.

Still cant work out whether to plunge deeper into E mount or Canon lenses for landscapes! Doesn't help that the Samyang 14mm's filter holder is specific to the lens only.

To use the samyang 14mm filter holder, you will not even be looking at circular ones.... Only the 150mm (I think it's 150mm) slot in filters can fit in.

At the moment, I'm mixing the slot in gnds and circular nds I really doubt I will move on to slot in nds filters due to budget).. just have to bear with the inconvenience. And at times hardware vignetting which just a little bit of care when stacking filters.