newbie to macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReDDeviLs_SRC

Feb 3, 2005
Hi all, just gotten my 450D kit today.
was recommanded by a friend of mine to purchase a canon 100m f2.8 usm to take macro shots of fast moving objects e.g fast swimming fishes in aquarium.
lights isnt a issue as its very bright while taking.
the canon 100mm i was quoted for $720 with GST which is on a higher side to me.
is there any other lens i could go for? dont mind a 3rd party lens
somewhere $300-450 will be just nice.

thanks for reading and input, if so.
will continue doing more readups and research also.
:)

probably can look into tamron and sigma,don't think there will be bright lenses in macro range that cheap,maybe sigma 70-300?but it's not a true macro lens

Tamron 90mm f2.8 (2nd hand)

And while it may be bright to your eyes, please note that the light is reduced as it travels down thru the water and reflects of your subject (i.e. the fish) and thru the water again to your camera. The shutter speed will be reduced and when the fishes move, you'll get a blurred shot.

Consider using off camera flashes (one on top and one from the side) Read more on this subject and you'll learn more.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the input
i heard from someone in shop earlier mentioning that the Tamron 90mm f2.8 is very slow.
no idea what he meant by that.

Hi, thanks for the input
i heard from someone in shop earlier mentioning that the Tamron 90mm f2.8 is very slow.
no idea what he meant by that.

I think they meant the focus speed. But I believe that is in comparison to the Canon 100mm. I have used both .. the Canon 100mm is a little faster (and quieter). Having said that .. the Tamrom is plenty fast, I was very surprised at how fast it was considering the reviews I read.

I have even used the AF whilst taking macro shots and it still managed to focus properly (well about 75% of the time .. but depending on the shooting condition really).

Try it out by renting if you really wanna have a feel for each of these 2 lens. Generally these are the 2 best macro lenses under $1000 (the sigma 105mm is prolly the third one).

thanks for all input.. anyone else feel free to input more views?

I asked for the price of the Sigma 105mm for Sony mount from a shop at Funan, and the guy quoted me ~$770. I'm not sure if the price will vary a lot for Canon mount...

care to pm me the shop name? tks!

Status
Not open for further replies.