NEWBIE to Film Photography

iamnammm

Oct 10, 2015
Singapore
Hello there!

I've have been wanting to start film photography as a new hobby but I don't know where to start. I've done my fair share of searching and learning more about film photography as a whole. I've asked me friends whom are actively involved in film photography as leisure and watched various youtube videos on it as well.

So my biggest concern here is, "Where to start??????" :confused:

I want to know where can I get a relatively good/worth the $$ beginner standard film camera in Singapore. Likewise, the various films that I can try experimenting with as well as places where I can develop these pictures thereafter.

Experienced film photography junkies! Please advise me on this! :sweat:

You can try finding cheap rangefinder and slr cameras on ebay. I bought mine for less than 40 sgd. Sure there are flaws, but you will get around it.

For films, try searching on carousell or buy from any photo printing shops. The price of the film is about the same everywhere. Expired films can also be another alternative.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Welcome. I also just started and having lots of fun. One thing to note, film photography can be expensive. Camera is cheap but film price is ex .. Developing and scanning price also adds to the equation.

Getting a decent auto SLR to start with should be easy and cheap. Plenty of options here and over at the 2nd hand shops like BenPhoto and Camer workshop @ peninsula.

Film wise, you have a choice of colour or B&W. Try colour negative (aka C41) film first as it is still processable by shops here. Try go to Fotohub for C41 processing. Once you get the hang of it, then try B&W.

Have fun!

Hello there!

I've have been wanting to start film photography as a new hobby but I don't know where to start. I've done my fair share of searching and learning more about film photography as a whole. I've asked me friends whom are actively involved in film photography as leisure and watched various youtube videos on it as well.

So my biggest concern here is, "Where to start??????" :confused:

I want to know where can I get a relatively good/worth the $$ beginner standard film camera in Singapore. Likewise, the various films that I can try experimenting with as well as places where I can develop these pictures thereafter.

Experienced film photography junkies! Please advise me on this! :sweat:

where can u get a relatively good / worth the $ film camera:
really depends on your budget, but for starters if you are afraid, you can search around peninsula plaza, excelsior, adelphi those few place where they sell 2nd hand cameras (benphoto is one e.g.)
however the film cameras can range from cheap 100$ to few k $ depending on your preference and budget.
For myself , i would recommend leica rangefinders and nikon SLRs as a good place to start as they have their following, and their huge range of lenses.

Ebay is also another place where u can find good cameras. or some other camera shop websites.

Most people will shoot few types of film nowadays Black&white, color (c-41) or slides (e-6)
u can send them at rubyphoto , triple D to develop those said formats.
B+W u can do it urself, if u buy the kits from ruby.
slides you can do it at ruby (i believe they send it to someone else also, not 100% sure), analog film lab also can do e6 processing.

as for scanning you can do it yourself or get them to do it for a fee. purchasing film u can do online or at those shops that develop your film. same place.

Does Triple D still do e-6? Last I asked in Sept last year, they said they don't process it anymore. These days, think Analog Film Labs is the only one left still doing e-6, especially for 120 formats.

Anyways, to get tge threadstarter going, some cameras to consider:

Top-end slrs:
Nikon F6 $800~1000
Canon EOS 1v $350~500ish
Canon EOS 3 $300ish

Retro cams:
Canon AE-1 $100~200
Nikon F3 $300ish
Nikon FM2 $200~300
Pentax LX $300~500
Minolta XD11 $100~200
Olympus OM1,2,3 $100~300

Premium compacts:
Contax TVS
Ricoh GR1
Minolta TC-1
Leica Minilux
Fujifilm Klasse W

Prices are estimates in usd off ebay. Film cameras have a lot of interesting features and quirks, you can try reading off a lot of webpages dedicated to film cameras to find out wat interests you.

interesting thread. Why film, if you don't mind sharing?

interesting thread. Why film, if you don't mind sharing?

To keep Kodak, Iford and Fujifim films alive :)
For me it is back to the basic, relearning fundamental skills, and slowing down the shooting process.

Also developing is fun.

Last edited: