Newbie taking macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

castor

Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Hi:

I am a newbie and interested to take macro shots. I have a EOS300D and a Sigma 70~300mm APO Macro Super II. I tried to take macro using this lens in its macro mode, but the subject is very blur (i.e. I cannot focus no matter what) if my lens is very close to the subject.

From my very limited knowledge, I understand that for macro shots, the lens can and should go pretty close to the subject and still able to attain a focus. May I know is this true? Can any experts in this len kindly enligten me on the appropriate technique of taking macro shots using this len.

Thank you very much and apologies if the doubts sound too ignorant to you all.

castor said:
Hi:

I am a newbie and interested to take macro shots. I have a EOS300D and a Sigma 70~300mm APO Macro Super II. I tried to take macro using this lens in its macro mode, but the subject is very blur (i.e. I cannot focus no matter what) if my lens is very close to the subject.

From my very limited knowledge, I understand that for macro shots, the lens can and should go pretty close to the subject and still able to attain a focus. May I know is this true? Can any experts in this len kindly enligten me on the appropriate technique of taking macro shots using this len.

Thank you very much and apologies if the doubts sound too ignorant to you all.

You are too close ....... stand back a bit ..... BTW, most people uses manual mode for marco shots.

Mmm. According to the specs for your lens listed on the Sigma website. There's a switch for macro mode from 200mm-300mm. But then the minimum focus distance is 150cm (which is pretty far). This means you can't get focus (auto or manual) on any subjects closer than 150cm away.

You can either get a close-up filter (works like a magnifying glass) that makes your subject look bigger or an extension tube (reduces your minimum focus distance by affecting the focal length of your lens).

I would personnally go for the extension tube since 150cm is way too far away for effective use of a close-up filter (IMHO). Check out this website for more info: http://www.toledo-bend.com/gallery/index.asp?request=ExtTube

Acutally that is the minimum focusing distance for Normal Mode, the Minimum Focusing distance for Marco Mode is 0.95m, which is Still very far..... LOL.

castor, you sound like someone I know ;)

according to the spec this lens gives 1:2 magnification at 300mm, so at minimum focusing distance you should still be able to achieve this.

suggest you switch to manual focus, zoom to 300mm and minimum focusing distance (you should have a zoom ring and a focus ring right?) and start approaching an object until it goes out of focus, see how close you're able to get.

btw guys, 1:2 means double the actual size on the frame right?

hwchoy said:

according to the spec this lens gives 1:2 magnification at 300mm, so at minimum focusing distance you should still be able to achieve this.

suggest you switch to manual focus, zoom to 300mm and minimum focusing distance (you should have a zoom ring and a focus ring right?) and start approaching an object until it goes out of focus, see how close you're able to get.

1:2 means half life size. 1:1 means that the object would appear as it is on the negative (ie a 3cm object would occupy 3cm of the actual negative). 1:2 means that the same 3cm object would occupy 1.5cm of the actual negative. Note that this has nothing to do with print size...

mmm… that's not good! I didn't quite expect a "macro" lens to do half life-size. My G5 at minimum focus could do 0.64. Looks like a +4 close-up is in order then. Would you guys suggest extension tube or close-up (hoya or 250D)?

hwchoy said:
mmm… that's not good! I didn't quite expect a "macro" lens to do half life-size. My G5 at minimum focus could do 0.64. Looks like a +4 close-up is in order then. Would you guys suggest extension tube or close-up (hoya or 250D)?

Manufacturers take quite abit of liberty with the macro description, and to date, I only know of 1 zoom macro lens which can go to lifesize: the 70-180 Micro Nikkor, which is a dedicated macro lens. Other zoom lenses with a macro switch can do maybe 1:3, 1:2. An extension is more fiddly, but will have less deterioation of image quality as there are no optics involved while close up filters are more convenient but your pictures are then dependent on the filter quality.

justarius said:
I only know of 1 zoom macro lens which can go to lifesize: the 70-180 Micro Nikkor, which is a dedicated macro lens.

Actually the 70-180 is 1:1.3 reproduction ratio, you will need a 6T close up lens and use it at the 180mm end to get 1:1

hwchoy said:

on the 300D with the cropping factor, it'll be 0.5x1.6 or 0.8.

mpenza said:
on the 300D with the cropping factor, it'll be 0.5x1.6 or 0.8.

now that's better! :sweat:
The figure I reported for G5 is based on the measured appearance of a ruler divided by 36mm. I actually get 1.44 with +9 close-up.

Think I will suggest someone try the ruler method and see what the readings say. :think:

james m said:
Actually the 70-180 is 1:1.3 reproduction ratio, you will need a 6T close up lens and use it at the 180mm end to get 1:1

ah, my bad. You are of course, correct... :embrass:

I'm using the same lens and camera. I was advise to take these 2 images for comparision. Sorry for the poor image as I a newbie in photography ;)

Lens set at 300mm macro mood

Macro.jpg

Mount with +4 closeup filter. Hand shake..... The lens is heavy man :bsmilie:

Closeup.jpg

Au SL
Killifish Fan

hwchoy said:

hmm.....sound familiar...do I know him as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.