Newbie street shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Lim

Oct 24, 2005
Hi guys, would appreciate if you all could tell me if there is anyway i could improve further on this shot. thanks.

DSC_00751.JPG

I think its a rather nice pic. :)

The only quibble I have is that the tilted roof line at the bottom distracts from the church tower.

Its actually just a shot i happen to pass by. And i just kinda saw it. like an opening in the sky and the cross happens to be in the middle of that opening. To me i just kinda think its a nice shot to keep?

I like this shot. Yes, the only issue is with the tilted roof top. Perhaps, in future, take note of the alignment of the objects in view before pulling the trigger. Otherwise, think it is a nice shot, nice lighting to portray some reflection of the viewers part. :thumbsup:

Well taken shot i must say... However, the highlights right behind the spire/cross is abit too much, making it kinda distracting... For shilouettes like this, try to underexpose the shot abit - this would keep the details around the hightlight and you'll be able to edit it later in photoshop, keeping details and controlling the highlights...

ps can correct the tilt, although i don't personally like using ps ;) nice shot, and as Patryk says, try to underexpose it.. erm.. ps can fix it too.
ot: now you see why i don't like ps? makes photography too easy imho. ;)

Trigger..lol...yeah man..PS is too cheat already..tt's why i want to do darkroom printing now..haha.. back to the wet age.

i like the pic. the bright opening in the sky, shinning right thru, backing up the cross symbolise hope. quite meaningful pic depending on ur perspective.
oh yeah. and i dun mind the tilt cos when i see the pic, my attention is drawn to that radiance behind the cross.

thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for all the kind comments. This picture was PSed by darkening the image and deepening the hue by a little bit. I did it to bring out the clouds. Initially this pic had more of the tilted roof showing. Had tried to straighten it before. In fact i could have painted over a straight roof. But my initial composition was intended for the tilt. The reason was such that if the roof was straight, visually it may be a little flat with no lined leading the eye up to the spire/cross. Thus i cropped it down to this to make it look slightly pano. Please advise me if i'm err in my judgement. Thanks alot.

i think i would prefer the right side of the pic slightly cropped off.
as i've mentioned, the tilt works fine for me.

Chris, yes, crop a little more off the right, that way there's nothing to see there, and the tilt leading to the spire/ cross would have its intended effect. good shot nonetheless. ;)

i like it just the way it is. :)

Patryk said:
Trigger..lol...yeah man..PS is too cheat already..tt's why i want to do darkroom printing now..haha.. back to the wet age.

Anyway, PS is not cheating at all, if it is then darkroom is cheating as well.

How to improve digital image ah? transfer it to film format and darkroom?

In the end of the day, it is how people think of your photo. If u are really so good in PS, and make a nice photo, why not? you put in effort too.

ha, i am still a film user lol.

Heh.. Shouldn't take my words literally..well as a film user printing by darkroom, sometimes you just kinda feel cheated when people can almost get the same results without much triouble through digital means...

However, that doesn't take away their effort and creativity..it's two different forms of post processing and can't really be directly compared (lol..i have a digital body and use PS myself)

I just love the old process, and find satisfaction in producing prints manually...

LENS said:
Anyway, PS is not cheating at all, if it is then darkroom is cheating as well.

How to improve digital image ah? transfer it to film format and darkroom?

In the end of the day, it is how people think of your photo. If u are really so good in PS, and make a nice photo, why not? you put in effort too.

ha, i am still a film user lol.

improve digital image? frame and crop through your viewfinder before you take the shot. move and if necessary, sit and wait until (or come back again when) your subject is where you want it. call me old-fashioned but i'm a purist where photography is concerned. i'm an IT guy and i know how powerful ps is. its good, yes, but i would use it only to touch up holiday photos, portraits (if subjects insist on removing blemishes) but not all my pictures.

Chris' shot here can be re-taken again another day, using our comments if he so chooses. alternatively he can use ps to adjust it in the comfort of home in 2 mins, "own time, own target". the latter is much much easier, but where is the satisfaction of having TAKEN a good shot? ;)

i feel that ps-ed pictures should include a tag indicating so, to distinguish between those who TAKE good pictures, and those who MAKE good ones. ok, this is going way OT, PM me if you have beef with my views. :bsmilie:

;)

Thanks for all the C&C. I am a dark room user as well as a Digital shooter. I know whats it like to grab a good shot on film and get that sense of satisfaction. PS does make photography easier to "beautify a shot". It can do alot of things that cannot be done fully in the darkroom. I guess in the end its very much up to a personal preferance level and what they wanna achieve. I feel, IMHO, that Digital imaging and film processing is two pretty different art on its own. =) just my two cents worth. Thanks

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.