Newbie shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrariGTR

Aug 5, 2007
I'm new in photography, brought a D100 from a CSers and trying out a few shots. This shots is using Nikkor 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6G lens, it is not edited except cropping and adding a border. Feel free to put in your comments, hopefully can learn something from some expert here ;)

OldParliamentHouse07.jpg

Nikon D100 Nikkor 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6G @18mm 1/25s-F/4 ISO200
Evening shot @ 7:00pm

Personally, I'd remove the lamppost and Raffles City bldg.

Then I'd do a perspective control adjustment to get the building correctly straightened...

oldparliamenthouse07nq4.jpg

I've done a very simple editing mentioned above here. Take a look, if you mind, let me know and I'll remove it. ;)

Of course I wouldn't mind, any comments are welcome bro, thanks.

Bro, I think the perspective correct is slightly over done leh....a bit like the top is wider than the bottom.....:)

Personally, I'd remove the lamppost and Raffles City bldg.

Then I'd do a perspective control adjustment to get the building correctly straightened...

oldparliamenthouse07nq4.jpg

I've done a very simple editing mentioned above here. Take a look, if you mind, let me know and I'll remove it. ;)

Bro, I think the perspective correct is slightly over done leh....a bit like the top is wider than the bottom.....:)

Sorry for doing such a lousy job about it... but it's only a 3 min try to show the rough ideas of how it can be done. Paiseh... :sweat:

i think i prefer the original perspective although i agree about removing the lampost and swissotel - a little distracting.

if i were u i would just maybe use cloning to remove the colour flag lolx

I am not sure what you are trying to portray when you took this picture. :think: The name of the picture is, "Old Parliament House" and by this name, I presume you were trying to portray the old architecture of the building and its facade. Correct if I am wrong on this.

If this was your intention, you might want to ask yourself some of these questions:

a) Is this the best angle to take of the building? (i.e. there are ALOT of distracting elements such as the banner post, Raffles Building in the background, the row of trees infront etc.)
b) Is this the best time of day to be taking this picture? (The colour of the sky looks washed out to me.)
c) Why did you include the small stretch of road at the bottom of the picture?

I apologize if my words sound harsh.

I am not sure what you are trying to portray when you took this picture. :think: The name of the picture is, "Old Parliament House" and by this name, I presume you were trying to portray the old architecture of the building and its facade. Correct if I am wrong on this.

If this was your intention, you might want to ask yourself some of these questions:

a) Is this the best angle to take of the building? (i.e. there are ALOT of distracting elements such as the banner post, Raffles Building in the background, the row of trees infront etc.)
b) Is this the best time of day to be taking this picture? (The colour of the sky looks washed out to me.)

I apologize if my words sound harsh.

No worries I won't take it personal, I would take any comment as said be it good or bad. Well, about the questions you have, below are my answers.
I just feel that this angle is nice but may not be best; nothing sort of portraying the structure of the building, the name is only an indication of the building. As for the trees and other elements, I will take note for my future shots.

Newbies like me normally weak or ignore best time to shot, mainly anxious to shot shot and shot. Or it just me. Heehee....

As said, I'm newbie, will take your advise on my next shots. :) Anyway, it can be crop away oso.

Yes, the lines formed by the pillers look good.

One question I would ask myself when I look at the photo is this: What is it you are trying to tell me? If its just old paliment house, I would have changed the angle to make it more obvious. I believe a good photo will just "shout" something out at you. If its a scene, it may say to you..."so relaxing". If its a building, it may say, "so strong" (like a fortress) If its a person, it may say "I'm sexy" or "I'm happy". What is it that you think the photo is shouting out to you when you see it on ur LCD screen? If you don't know...change the angle and try again. Take a few pics a step or two nearer, or farther, bend low or to the left or right.

I hope this helps

Yes, the lines formed by the pillers look good.

One question I would ask myself when I look at the photo is this: What is it you are trying to tell me? If its just old paliment house, I would have changed the angle to make it more obvious. I believe a good photo will just "shout" something out at you. If its a scene, it may say to you..."so relaxing". If its a building, it may say, "so strong" (like a fortress) If its a person, it may say "I'm sexy" or "I'm happy". What is it that you think the photo is shouting out to you when you see it on ur LCD screen? If you don't know...change the angle and try again. Take a few pics a step or two nearer, or farther, bend low or to the left or right.

I hope this helps

Wah bro, so qian yet so chim :sweat: but I think I got what you mean. Thanks for your advise, will take note.

I'd lighten up the front of the building a bit as the trees get kind of blocked up and there's a loss of shadow detail. Otherwise, it seems fine to me.

Noted your comment, thanks.

If you had taken the pic from this angle, would it have looked better?

Although never shot this place properly before, but my opinion is a neither here nor there shot. Why?

1. Perspective of building is weird. Blding generally shd be shot wide although there are exceptions when u want to emphasize certain parts. The blding is neither here nor there.
2. Timing is wrong. Sky is neither here or there. There is ambient lighting in the building but u are unable to capture it as the sky is not dark enuff

my comments:

1) building is tilted, mentioned a few times already, will benefit from rotation and perspective correciton perhaps

2) this is a commonly shot scene for singaporeans, as such the angle chosen is very unflattering, there are better angles - which have the dome more completely captured, this angle is quite weird for me

3) what are you attempting to capture? i can't see any purpose or thought in this picture, i am sorry

on the bright side,
exposure is pretty ok, rather balanced and capture most of the details there is to be captured

keep shooting dude!

Thanks for all the comments. As mentioned I'm a newbie so dun have much thought before shooting. If you ask me about objective, is it best timing, best angle blar blar; I can't really answer; just thought of keep shoot and learn from mistake and comments here. Hope to do better next. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.