Newbie shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlin

Feb 17, 2006
Hi all, my 1st try w d70s at changi boardwalk. c&c welcome. =)

tree2_web.jpg

too tight a crop on no. 1.

2 is good. you caught the light at a nice time. not sure about the tree though. i can see why its good to include it for some perspective but its a dead tree... and a part of me thinks would have been nicer to see more of the sky.

3.. good exposure... but just a fairly straightforward 2/3rds landscape.. the circular shadow at the rocks is also a little distracting.

4.. better than the 1st one.. but would have been nice to see some sky in this pic.

Thanks for ur constructive critique! =) i included the tree bz its withered.. adds to the feel as i ps it (darken) to show the silhouette of the tree.

btw, it wld be interesting if u guys could list a fave shot?

Good work dan. Improving.

#1 might need a little more impact. I feel the cropping might be just a lil too tight. just a lil.
Maybe deepen the tones a little and sat the colours to bring out the impact of the water more.

#2 Is just right. LEAVE IT AS THAT! :bsmilie: pretty much have that mag look alr. just a lil tad brighter in future? :)

#3 Might need to reconsider the composition. Looks a lil too crowded. Too much rock personally. hmmmm the rule of third here would require some veiwers to decide what they want to look at. Lacks focal point.

#4 Not too sure about this too. Might need a little bit more space to have the "S" curve visible. looks a little bit "Dead". The water seems to be just water and the rocks just rocks. Is it a What You See Is What You Get kinda shot? maybe can try to shoot it a tad bit slower. to catch the dreamy look of the backwash.

#5 I reckon you were using a flash for this shot. The sky light in the back ground seems to be around the late 6 pm region. Thats pretty much late evening. The dramatic skyline at that time maybe a little too dark already. But try to imagine this. The whole walkway is a shillouette in the blue sky. Compositionally it is there. Just need to relook at how you want the shot to look like. A good referance for techniques and photos can be found on the "Digital camera" magazine june issue. =)

The above views are personal opinions that i feel might help in improving your pictures. So hopefully those reading it wont take it as a negative feedback.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris, thanks alot for ur suggestions! they were very helpful! I'll go bk to ps n make some changes.

btw, for no.4 right, how to i compensate on the settings so tt when i shoot at a slower speed the pictures won't become overexposed?

danlin said:
Hi Chris, thanks alot for ur suggestions! they were very helpful! I'll go bk to ps n make some changes.

btw, for no.4 right, how to i compensate on the settings so tt when i shoot at a slower speed the pictures won't become overexposed?

shoot it with Shutter speed priority mode or with manual. i usually do it on manual cos it gives me more control on the exposure timing. =) hope this helps. i'd say maybe 1/8 of a second or slower?:)

The withered tree would be the best shot here... are you sure you are a newbie? :thumbsup:

Guidelines: Critique Corner Postings
a) Members are only allowed to post ONE image PER week. This is to allow enough time for critiques to be written.

thanks plastic, tts very complimenting. yah i jus got the d70s last wk! only started gettin my hands on dslr camera 2mths ago. been using pns camera. the withered tree is my fave too! =)

i rather the tree silhouette not merged with the landmass in the background. very distracting, and losing the tree ... sky is good, foregd rocks too, maybe u can photoshop away backgd land mass or reshoot.

danlin said:
Hi all, my 1st try w d70s at changi boardwalk. c&c welcome. =)

tree2_web.jpg

Revisiting this post again, I like to share with you what i learnt from a recent article i read from a photo mag. "to shoot great landscapes, you need to choose the perfect timing for the perfect background. Next, isolate a subject within the frame which you feel complements your background.....etc" So maybe in a funky way or another, you might wanna try different crops at home in your free time or try shooting it again the next time you visit the place again. =)

Cheers
Chris

interesting... thnks chris! so its like saying, isolating this tree which complements the pics? so not to include it u mean..

What i meant was, you can shoot the tree with nothing else deemed distracting. Eg. the mass of land behind is "cutting into" your main focus.

try going at a lower angle to place the tree in a more majestic position in the sky too.

Always shoot wide on the first attempt, then visually crop it down so you can find the "perfect" shot within the entire picture.

hope this helps.

Cheers.

I was wondering, if you slow down the shutterspeed can get smooth flowing water kind of effect, would it compliment the solitary tree? Coz now the water is quite choppy.

Just 0.00000002 cts thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.