Newbie Shots (Critiques!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nub-bie

Oct 11, 2006
Serangoon
Hope to get some comments on these pics.... I just started out on photography not long ago... need some pointers :)

DSC_23231.jpg

DSC_24201.jpg

6721.jpg

Mother_Baby.jpg

I like that dramatic shot in #2

I thought this was supposed to be critiques corner :sweat: .... hahahaha

pic #1
the branch & the water too brite

.... haha i thought it'd be more of an effect than actually focusing on the birds kinda like a silhouette...

oops didnt get a chance to read the critique corner message.... one post per week arhhh sorry.....

Personally I think #3 works. Lotsa tension in the picture. Especially when you put into context the terrorism scare overseas. Nice.

go for the mom and baby, i need tips on photographing ppl...

go for the mom and baby, i need tips on photographing ppl...

First impression, the background and everything around the subject is way too busy.

The subject is slightly out of focus. You apprantly focused onto the pole in front of the subject. Btw, that pole, in focus or not, is very distracting.

Assuming this is a candid shot, maybe you should move yourself th shoot perpendicular to the poles (there is a send one by the subject's feet, the one that is chopping her foot off), using the poles to lead the view towards the subject?

Lower your perspective will also help. In general, it's good to shoot at the same level as the subject. It's a rule, you can break it, but make sure you know what you are doing when breaking rules.

First impression, the background and everything around the subject is way too busy.

The subject is slightly out of focus. You apprantly focused onto the pole in front of the subject. Btw, that pole, in focus or not, is very distracting.

Assuming this is a candid shot, maybe you should move yourself th shoot perpendicular to the poles (there is a send one by the subject's feet, the one that is chopping her foot off), using the poles to lead the view towards the subject?

Lower your perspective will also help. In general, it's good to shoot at the same level as the subject. It's a rule, you can break it, but make sure you know what you are doing when breaking rules.

TS,

If you classify the above shots as street photography, you can ignore the above comments. Simply because street photography is spontaneous! You are not doing a model shoot and everything happens in a split second!! Feel above everything!

You need strong and good subject. I like your 4th photo. So what if the photo is oof!! Who cares! I like it!

TS,

If you classify the above shots as street photography, you can ignore the above comments. Simply because street photography is spontaneous! You are not doing a model shoot and everything happens in a split second!! Feel above everything!

You need strong and good subject. I like your 4th photo. So what if the photo is oof!! Who cares! I like it!

This is about the biggest crock of sh*t I heard lately.

Of course, street photography is spontaneous, but framing and composition are just as important. You have to anticipate the action, be in the right position to take that picture. That is street photography.

An out of focus picture is an out of focus piece of junk! Shooter here is not into street photography, he is into exercising his finger pressing on the shutter button.

#1 - focus is on the branches not birds. you have to ask yourself which is more interesting and what should be included in your composition.
#2 - looks a little overdone on the pp to me.
#3 - this one is good. first impression says you have "the eye"
#4 - why the headless people? focus on your subjects' faces too and not the pole. a landscape orientation would work better, with your two subjects at the top, that way you'll avoid more headless people although you'd still get cuts but those would be less distracting

In terms of composition, I think I have to agree that the pole is quite a distraction, especially since it cuts right through your subjects. Also, you might like to consider a tighter crop just where the lady's legs cross. That way, the extra bright background can be removed and give your subjects more focus, unless your intention is to depict a busy area.
As for the focusing, I have noticed that the new cameras with those multi focus areas tend to focus on the wrong subject when they are too close together. I find the old method of using the center focus spot and then half press the shutter to recompose gives more consistant focusing results most of the time (for still subjects that is).
As for the rest of the pics...
1. The light seems to be quite close to mid day so not very good for silhuette. (general rule, your background needs to be much brighter than your subjects for silhuettes)
2. Quite nice pic, though its just one of those everybody has taken before (I think I have some in my albums somewhere too, so lacks a little uniqueness). That said, I like the monochromatic effect of the pic, but you might want to dodge the bright sky a little as I have to squint to look at it.
3. This I like if just for the graphic effects. Its has the feel of those pics depicting taken during WWI periods.

This is about the biggest crock of sh*t I heard lately.

Of course, street photography is spontaneous, but framing and composition are just as important. You have to anticipate the action, be in the right position to take that picture. That is street photography.

An out of focus picture is an out of focus piece of junk! Shooter here is not into street photography, he is into exercising his finger pressing on the shutter button.

Joke of the day!!!

:bsmilie:

haha yeah i was just walking about and came across this sight.... i couldnt actaully go in front of them and take the pic.... dat darn pole was bummer.... though i could agree with the backgrd and the cropping, thats stupid guy there playing with his phone was also too much of a distraction... as for the birds i think they were like at least 50 m away... couldn't get a good shot no matter how hard i tried... they moved too much so i couldnt use a slow shutter.... so had to make up for the loss haiz...

Status
Not open for further replies.