Newbie shot of a tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Lim

Oct 24, 2005
Just a newbie shot. anyone can tell me how to improve on this?

DSC_0610.jpg

Nice concept and colour. But not sure why, maybe too much free space on the LHS of the photo and also the edge where the fence ends just divert the attention away from the tree. Nice but just somehow lost that impact.

my guess is that instead of a "lead in line", the fence becomes a "lead out line".

denniskee said:
my guess is that instead of a "lead in line", the fence becomes a "lead out line".

Yap, agree with denniskee's comment. The slope itself and the open "cliff" just lead the attention and focus away from the tree and "out of the picture" feeling. But I think the attempt is good. Maybe a crop can help.

Concept is good, but I agree with the others the cliff doesn't worka dn for me the fence is actually quite distracting, but it's not far off.

I also think there is too little detail in the shadow of the leaves, almost looks black on my monitor.

Thanks for all your comments. I'll try harder next time. Was actually trying to find simplicity in my photos. But it is very difficult. Will try harder. =)

I like the colors, and the tree is nice. Fence is the problem for me. PS away the fence if u can.

if you can have more of the slope, this pic can turn better.

due to the composition of this pic, the tree is very big (main subject) but the fence & slope (secondary subject) is too small for the composition.... and also maybe because too much "empty space" on the left i think this made the slope a bit funny.

vincenthau said:
if you can have more of the slope, this pic can turn better.

due to the composition of this pic, the tree is very big (main subject) but the fence & slope (secondary subject) is too small for the composition.... and also maybe because too much "empty space" on the left i think this made the slope a bit funny.

OK noted. thanks for your advice

Chris Lim said:
OK noted. thanks for your advice

i am also learning too, that is what i feel personally only. I might be wrong too..... gathering more comments from others.

dun get demoralise if you recieved lousy comments. But the most important thing is that when you are taking a picture, you must ask yourself what are you taking, and what are you trying to tell people about this picture?

In the end, as long you find your pic is good and you are happy with it. Photography can be very personal, as long you follow certain principles. As for me , I will always try to follow a good principle of Composition, Constrast, Exposure.

vincenthau said:
i am also learning too, that is what i feel personally only. I might be wrong too..... gathering more comments from others.

dun get demoralise if you recieved lousy comments. But the most important thing is that when you are taking a picture, you must ask yourself what are you taking, and what are you trying to tell people about this picture?

In the end, as long you find your pic is good and you are happy with it. Photography can be very personal, as long you follow certain principles. As for me , I will always try to follow a good principle of Composition, Constrast, Exposure.

=) actually i appreciate all the comments. =) its about meeting people and learn from the comments and critiques given about your own work. Kinda think and believe its what leads to that person style of capturing moments. =) cheers dude

i find that unless the subject is very powerfull one (sorry my bad english), acheiving simplicity for landscape photography is very difficult.

after taking a second look at this pohto,

1) i find another problem is the foundation, ie the ground. it gives a unsecure feel to the photo as such a big tree standing on a small ground. i imagine it same as seeing it rooted in a flower pot.

2) another is balance, on the whole, the photo is not a dramatic one, it is more of a peacefull nature, as with subject that is calm, peacefull, balance is important, much like acheiving a balance in "yin and yang".

like a fellow cser said, now cny, pocket already burn a big hole, so left with 2cents:sweatsm:

happy cny 2006

clicknick said:
I like the colors, and the tree is nice. Fence is the problem for me. PS away the fence if u can.

same here... the color's nice.... i dun have any other prob besides the fence...

Chris Lim said:
Just a newbie shot. anyone can tell me how to improve on this?

DSC_0610.jpg
First, this composition give a feeling of unbalancedness, because of placement of the elements and the line. Is this what you want to tell people?

Second, overall too much cyan in the pictures, it looks cold.

well.... this sort of photographs lean towards the more... arty farty side of the craft, which also means there is alot of grey area for opinions.

The image at first sight is striking, although I feel it does not have enough substance to sustain itself. Such abstract photography, must have tremendous underlying meaning to be successful; looking at it again, it fails to draw my attention.

I feel there is too much process look to it, too much contrast, too much cyan. Take away the contrast and photoshopping, there is not much left to appeal.

If a photograph is impactful, attention grabbing, pleasing to look at even when it is technically poor (soft, blurred, grainy/noisy, low contrast, poor colours), it is a good photograph. I hope u get what I mean. A good photograph is also timeless, beautiful time and time again, evoking the same sort of feeling every time u look at it.

Not trying to put your photograph down, as I've said such kind of images are very subjective.

I think this is a good photo.

Chris, next time resize your photos to be no longer/wider than 800px, on the assumption of a standard resolution of 1024x768.

it being wider than most people's screens gives the feeling that there is too much space to the left. well I do agree too to that, but it still works for me.

cheers and happy cny. :) I like this shot.

Thanks Schon. Thank you all for the comments too. will improve the next picture i shoot.

nth much to comment about, i think photography is about oneself. if you think its good then stay with it, if you think theres something to be improve and you dono what, you can listen to other comment and improve it ;)

anyway i think the photo is good enough for me except maybe the fence alittle too distracting

Chris Lim said:
Thanks Schon. Thank you all for the comments too. will improve the next picture i shoot.

no problem Chris. :)

to me, the fence adds depth. it sorta bridges the space between the tree and the grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.