Newbie Self Intro

manakoleng

Jul 13, 2010
Hi, a friend of mine introduce me to this forum when I told him about my interest in photography.

I'm a husband to a loving wife and father to 2 young kids - 10 & 6. I work as a network engineer for a telco - long working hours :( My only ways to relief stress is to go on long runs and indulge in a little bit of photography. Hope to learn from the experienced guys & gals here and make some friends. :)

I own a Canon 500D with 18-55mm kit lens and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens. Am planning to upgrade to Canon 5D if I could sell my 500D.

That's all for now. :)

hi and welcome to clubsnap!

any reason why you feel the need to change to 5D?
if budget permits and you feel strongly for it, then do go ahead.
Just want to make sure you have made a well-informed decision, so no regrets about spending your hard-earned money.

check out the personal classified section to sell off your 500D, if that is your intention.

Welcome to CS!

Maybe next time I will bump into you at bedok reservoir :bsmilie:

HI there,

Welcome to the club :)

Sorry about your long hours, I guess we all have to slog for the family.

You got good gear there. Wondering if you have performed a Gap Analysis to understand why there is a need for a 5D.

Also, implications to upgrading to a 5D would be dropping your 18-55mm kit lens.

Hope you would share your pictures :) Enjoy your stay!

Cheers

Welcome to CS:).

Its good to always indulge in some hobby to help you relax. Network engineer for telco. Hmm, shift work right.:)

Welcome to CS :)
I suggest that you keep & shoot with what you have now. Due to your long hours of work & short hours of photography, upgrading to the 5D will not give you more time to shoot.
Pardon me here, unless you are a seasoned photographer & wish to invest in a better system, than why not. Otherwise, just stick to what you have now & squeeze in the time to shoot more till the day you really need an upgrade, than go for it ;)

Thanks all for the welcome. :) Am truly surprise to see that many responses and advices within such a short time after posting.

The only reason I want to change my 500D for 5D is I wish to have a full format ccd camera. I like to try photography using normal lens and natural available lights. The 50mm lens on the 500D with 1.6 crop factor, doesn't look quite "normal". ;p I blame myself not researching enough to truly understand what crop vs full size ccd means before getting the 500D. Then again, I do enjoy using the 500D - though it looks quite pro, but it's relatively easy to use for a newbie like myself. Its control and functions are quite intuitive - didn't take me too much time to plough through the manual. So I'm still half-minded whether to sell it or to keep it.

Fully appreciate anyone here that been through the same "dilemma" could share their experience. :) Or owners of 5D that could share their experience with it would be great. :)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks all for the welcome. :) Am truly surprise to see that many responses and advices within such a short time after posting.

The only reason I want to change my 500D for 5D is I wish to have a full format ccd camera. I like to try photography using normal lens and natural available lights. The 50mm lens on the 500D with 1.6 crop factor, doesn't look quite "normal". ;p I blame myself not researching enough to truly understand what crop vs full size ccd means before getting the 500D. Then again, I do enjoy using the 500D - though it looks quite pro, but it's relatively easy to use for a newbie like myself. Its control and functions are quite intuitive - didn't take me too much time to plough through the manual. So I'm still half-minded whether to sell it or to keep it.

Fully appreciate anyone here that been through the same "dilemma" could share their experience. :) Or owners of 5D that could share their experience with it would be great. :)

Thanks in advance.

hmm my take.

are u gonna just use a 50mm 1.8 prime only? do note efs lenses do not fit on 5dmk2 i think. u will have to change ur 18-55 to soemthing like a 24-70 for ur 5d if u want a zoom lens.
perhaps u can consider, cause its not cheap actually to switch. perhaps u wanna consider 7d instead. i think ur 50mm dun look normal cause of crop factor.

5dmk2 is not cheap. if u want i think u can get something like a 30mm instead?

Thanks allenleonhart and madmartian for your good advices. :)

Fully agree with you guys - no point of spending more $, if I even have problem finding time to practise or dabble. Anyway, after browsing the buy/sell and price guides, I have decided that 5DMkII is beyond my reach - cannot justify unless I reach pro stage (if ever :bsmilie:). And comparing the size & weight, I still prefer the 500D's petiteness.

I'm considering some new lens, which would be better buy ?

1. EF 28mm f1.8 USM
2. EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM
3. EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM

Thanks ! :)

Fully agree with you guys - no point of spending more $, if I even have problem finding time to practise or dabble. Anyway, after browsing the buy/sell and price guides, I have decided that 5DMkII is beyond my reach - cannot justify unless I reach pro stage (if ever :bsmilie:). And comparing the size & weight, I still prefer the 500D's petiteness.

1. EF 28mm f1.8 USM
2. EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM

hmm. since ur on 500d and a crop body,

aim for a 17-55 f2.8? the canon ef-s one is very good. the only reason why its not an L series is because its an ef-s.

else, aim for a 70-200 f2.8 + tamron 17-50 f2.8. shld total up to abt 2k ? get second hand one. then u got fast lenses.

or else get ur flash. 430 exii is good and cheap. for more power get 580exii:thumbsup:

Hi, a friend of mine introduce me to this forum when I told him about my interest in photography.

I'm a husband to a loving wife and father to 2 young kids - 10 & 6. I work as a network engineer for a telco - long working hours :( My only ways to relief stress is to go on long runs and indulge in a little bit of photography. Hope to learn from the experienced guys & gals here and make some friends. :)

I own a Canon 500D with 18-55mm kit lens and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens. Am planning to upgrade to Canon 5D if I could sell my 500D.

That's all for now. :)

hi

welcome..

we share many similarities.. IT, 500d, kit lens, and 50mm... haha...

have fun!
:)

Hi welcome to CS!
Shoot more, Post more. Ask more and you will Learn more!
Happy shooting!:)

1. EF 28mm f1.8 USM
2. EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM

You may consider to sell-off your 18-55mm kit lens and buy-in 10-22mm + 24-105mm ..:thumbsup:

Welcome to CS!
Happy shooting!
I hope photography will stay and as an awesome stress reliever for myself when i graduate too.