Newbie Seeking Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

irmando

Jul 27, 2006
Western Part of Singapore
Hi pple,

I am new to CS but has really learnt a lot from the posts so far.

I have not been a serious photographer except for those P&S type of photography. Bought a Canon 350D a few weeks ago. Question: Do I need to get external flash or will the built-in one be enough for a start.

What external flash is recommended ? Budget is below $500.

Thanks in advance ! :thumbsup:

Hello,

Welcome to the big family. Glad that you are part of this great family. I would say that a flash is a necessity for your cam. As I am not using Canon cameras, I am unable to recommend one. But must get one ok. ;)

Galdor said:
Hello,

Welcome to the big family. Glad that you are part of this great family. I would say that a flash is a necessity for your cam. As I am not using Canon cameras, I am unable to recommend one. But must get one ok. ;)
already stated above..
but best to get Canon 580EX... :devil:
do look out for MO @ consumer corner. :)

yups canon speedlite ex430 is a good start =)

alternatively u can buy a ex420 from B&S then spend the remaining $ on rechargable batteries =)

eddielimcs said:
yups canon speedlite ex430 is a good start =)

alternatively u can buy a ex420 from B&S then spend the remaining $ on rechargable batteries =)
Oh ya.. how can i forget about rechargable batteries...
get a reliable brand and use. :)
Eg: Maha, Vatar, Sanyo...

metz is also good, cheaper than the canon but similar functionality.
a second hand 550ex is almost as good as the 580, but cheaper.
and yes, a add on flash will give you much greater options than the built in flash... and better pictures too.

for $500, you can probably get a new 430ex @ 400+ for a start or a 2nd hand 420ex for 200+

with the remaining $ you can invest in the following
- batteries eg. powerex, sanyo are a few brands worth considering.
- a flash diffuser eg. stofen omni-bounce, gary fong's lightsphere

but essentially, do find out what sort of conditions do you oftenly shoot in. this is important as you dont really need a flash, eg. in daylight/outdoor conditions. ;) having an external flash gives you the option at 'challenging' conditions though.

If you are not shooting alot indoor with flash then i suggest you hold your purchase first.

agreed with some who said if u r not shooting indoors or events photography, just landscape or simply PnS then no need to get a external flash as ended up u wun even bring out or attach to ur camera due to unnecesssary weight.. but then again its your choice...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.