Newbie @ scanning negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgotha

Aug 20, 2004
Melbourne/Singapore
Hi,

let me apologise if this has been asked before. I've searched for topics relating to my questions n found no answers.

I have just purchased Plustek 7200 n found when scanning my negatives, all the scans turned out downright horrid. Colors are all wrong!

1.I scanned it in 48>24bit, but if i tried 48 bit HDR, it's alright. However, i can't view the scanned result in Photoshop .

2.Also, the scanned pics have plenty of dust n scratches which I've tried to remove using the ISRD with no success.

3. If i were to scan the negaives in TIFF format, regardless of negative or positive, the pic always turns out negative.

I really do hope someone can assist in my queries or at least point me to the right place to look for answers, else my scanner will just collect dust @ 1 corner. :cry:

By right Photoshop should be able to open your 48-bit (16-bit/channel) file, at least when I scan at 16-bit colour, it imports fine. I'm using an EPSON Perfection 2400 PHOTO.

As for the colour, don't be surprised for old negatives to have significant colour shift. Most of the time you'll need to do a lot of post-processing to restore it back to it's original glory. You can try adjusting the levels and colour balance for a start. If your scanner software has a colour restoration setting/function, you can try using it to see if it works.

Dust and scratches - use your bulb blower to clean the film surface and the lightbox and platen before scanning. Anything else will require manual touchup.

Instead of scanning directly to TIFF, do a TWAIN/WIA import in Photoshop. File -> Import -> (your scanner model). Don't use the Windows WIA scanning or something.

thanks will try it out tonight. However, I'm using Photoshop CS, is that y I can't open the file? I'm using SilverFast, it has 48bit HDR. I don't know why I can't open the file.:dunno:

Assuming I have a scanner that does not have Digital ICE and I have scanned some negatives.
I have asked before whether there was available software that can do partly or as good a job as the Digital ICE (hardware scratch repair, dust removal function) in Nikon and other scanners.

But suddenly there was dead silence and the poster did not want to reveal anymore.

Is it a trade secret?
Did the poster feel he had something to lose by sharing which software can do the job? :bsmilie:

try this prog, Silverfast, looks impressive......i'm using it but still trying to get the hang of it......... think u can go to their website to find out more.

who are you talking about? :dunno:

ricohflex said:
Assuming I have a scanner that does not have Digital ICE and I have scanned some negatives.
I have asked before whether there was available software that can do partly or as good a job as the Digital ICE (hardware scratch repair, dust removal function) in Nikon and other scanners.

But suddenly there was dead silence and the poster did not want to reveal anymore.

Is it a trade secret?
Did the poster feel he had something to lose by sharing which software can do the job? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.