newbie ROM shoot help

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelmetBox

Sep 9, 2003
Hello all.

My brother's ROM is up next month. I know I'm a little kiasu but I don't wanna screw up and wish to polish up for this coming month. So I need advice from anyone who can offer me advice.

What do I need to look out for?

What are the essential gears? (DSLR user here)

Tips?

Whatever....... Just throw them at me. I need help.

THANKS! :D

Besides a camera and lens (long & wide), you also need many memory cards, a spare battery, flash gun with bounce card.
Survey the ROM place few days before the shoot will help. Think of a plan on what to shoot, when to shoot, and where to shoot. :)

if it's at ROM, you could forget about direct bouncing the flash cos the ceiling is high.

mpenza said:
if it's at ROM, you could forget about bouncing flash cos the ceiling is high.
Depends on your flash and ISO, I have always shot @ ROM with bounced flash using a bounce card, SB28, NPH400 or Press 800 and never had problems.

Regards
CK

Agree with Ckiang, at ISO400 and above, bounced flash does help to light up the room sufficiently to make a difference.

u need wide esp inside the room, and it's got creamy coloured walls... so ur bounce flash is gonna produce some colour cast which u might have to correct.

and there's a "photographer's spot" behind the marriage celebrant, make sure no one else hogs the spot. if they do, just KAR KAR stand in front of them (that's why u need even wider)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

espn said:
I can shoot for you :)

Hehehe....... If always rely on professionals, I'll never get the experience and knowledge myself. kekeke.......

I kinda like the feeling that since I'm a newbie and have zero experience (never even gone to ROM before!) and fearing the worse will happen. heheheheheee...... weird huh? Photography also can creat butterflies in the tummyz. :bsmilie:

Thanks for offering
though! :D

alrity. Equipment check.

Bounce cards:

White and silver (CHECK!)

Flash:
External flash with 2 sets of backup batteries (CHECK!)

Wide lens:
Will my sigma 15-30 do? Kinda having problems with it and my flash....... Range too close or something. Still fooling around with it. Think I better get thats sorted out quick.

Long lens:
will a 70mm do?

Memory cards:
Ok, need to work on that.

Enuff? Anything to add?

jOhO said:
u need wide esp inside the room, and it's got creamy coloured walls... so ur bounce flash is gonna produce some colour cast which u might have to correct.

and there's a "photographer's spot" behind the marriage celebrant, make sure no one else hogs the spot. if they do, just KAR KAR stand in front of them (that's why u need even wider)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Wakakaka! Now that's what I call a tip from the proz! kekekekeke....... *jots down point*

I will so make sure I go there chop the place. (urrr... where's the marriage celebrant anyway? :D ) Well, I can always say that I'm blood related, see what the others can do! :D

Thanks!

Astin said:
Besides a camera and lens (long & wide), you also need many memory cards, a spare battery, flash gun with bounce card.
Survey the ROM place few days before the shoot will help. Think of a plan on what to shoot, when to shoot, and where to shoot. :)

Will do will do! Will go 'recce' the place! But then do they allow people to walk around there? Or maybe I can just sit into someone elses ROM and act like their photographer! :bsmilie: kekekeeeeeeeee..........

Thanks!

blurblock said:
get ready a spare body, incase your body went to emergency mode suddenly.

Oh....... Now that's a problem. Well, think a month's enuff to beg steal and borrow.

Noted. Never thought about that.......

basically the couple will sit at the table, and the marriage celebrant will sit opp them. the photographer's spot will be behind the marriage celebrant, on his/her right (i only been into 1 of the 3 rooms, so zhun everytime i get that room, i think it's called PEACE). maybe other rooms is on the left side, no matter anyway. just stand at the spot where it says "photographers" ;p

jOhO said:
basically the couple will sit at the table, and the marriage celebrant will sit opp them. the photographer's spot will be behind the marriage celebrant, on his/her right (i only been into 1 of the 3 rooms, so zhun everytime i get that room, i think it's called PEACE). maybe other rooms is on the left side, no matter anyway. just stand at the spot where it says "photographers" ;p

THERE'S A SIGN?! :what: :bigeyes:

''Joy" room is the most commonly used solemnization room, on the extreme right. sometimes you might kena "Cherish"...the middle room. it is slightly smaller and crampier than "Joy", not to mention darker, too. so be prepared to use a wide-enough lens on ur DSLR, especially if you want to capture a shot of both the couple, witnesses and solemnizer. "Love" is the biggest...i rarely get to see it used. well, if your couple opt to use the room downstairs (Happiness, i think)...get the widest lens you can lay your hands on! trust me ;) tip: try to avoid flashing the solemnizers too much in the eyes. they handle *ALOT* of cases everyday, so its advisable to be considerate to that fact.

Ok.. since I've been rejected :( .... ;p

Note that I advise using omnibounce at about 75-80 degrees tilt, ISO of at least 400 (no problem for DSLR) and a WA if possible. Do note you should rush in IMMEDIATELY the door is opened, and take the position to the left of the judge, you let anybody get there before you... good luck to you.

The ceilings of the rooms aren't very high, so bounce is possible, but there's a chandalier kind of light above you, so you might get a colour cast. (Yellowish -> Orange).

Suggest you get a shot of the solemnizer with the couple for remembrance sake.

The rooms are labelled as mentioned, I think Joy is the biggest room, I remember my platoon witnessed my CSM getting ROM'd in one of the room, 20+ people. Now due to SARS, I dunnoe if they still cap the limit.

If you can, get a reflector to take some out door shots :D

I offer another view:

Just remember to enjoy the shoot yourself during the whole affair... that will really affect the final prints and how you see the ROM. WHen you are psychologically stressed, your pics will reflect that oso ;) so dun worry, just get yourself a wide angle and a mid tele for candids and DOF shots. ISO 400 with flash (bounce or direct no matter), is suffice for the ROM.

Remeber to check your sensor for any dust problems and your batteries fully charged for the next day. CF cards formatted and ready for use and a good sleep the night before :)

Njoy the shoot!

Some don'ts....
1. don't be always moving behind the solemniser... some may not like it.
2. try not to shoot over the head of the solemniser too, it could be quite intimidating for him/her.

Some do's
1. Enter/leave the room before anyone else and capture some shots of the couple and rest entering/leaving.
2. Capture the important shots: exchange of rings, kissing the bride, etc. There usually would be some candids too which could make for interesting shots, e.g. when the solemniser ask the groom to kiss the bride.
3. The photographer's corner will get you most shots, but if you want to capture the signatures of the parents, you have to move a bit.

Some couples would want to take some pics after the ceremony at fort canning which is besides ROM. do take note of your settings (especially when you have shot manual all the way indoors). You may also want to enable high sync flash if it's bright and you want to use large apertures.

I was too hasty in my original reply above on bouncing flash. Had actually wanted to say that direct bouncing without any bouncecard/omnibounce is not ideal (at least for "Joy" room). Use of bounce card/omnibounce would help to reflect light to the front and be much more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.