Newbie requesting for help !

TJX Bluk

Dec 27, 2010
Hello everyone !
I'm planning to get a DSLR this week, but I've no idea which model would be the 'best' for a entry level kid.
My friend gave me advice on getting 1100D, Rebel T2i and 650D . I have a budget around 1.2 and below.
Anyone have any ideas? :)

R u solely looking at Canon? Nikon D3200 might be one of the good alternative too.

Do you see the the massive amount of stickies? One of them is http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/787393-faq-dslr-camera-buy.html
We cannot give any advice as long as you don't make up your mind a bit. All brands have entry level cameras - the name is not coincidence.
Alternatively, if 'kid' refers to a small person please have a look at the mirrorless systems. They are smaller in build and might be more suitable than a DSLR. In terms of pictures many people won't be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:
You like light colorful, white, pink, blue looking camera get the 1100d, nice and light, you like heavier black get 650d, all can produce good pics goto the shop and try it out, Canon showroom @Vivo beside Cinema, or something.

Canon Rebel T2i is the same as the Canon 550D.

The Rebel T2i is the name used in North America.
In Singapore, we use the xx0D naming convention. Otherwise, the cameras are identical.

So your question is which to get - 1100D, 550D or 650D?

I say just get one that you really like. There are differences, but if you have to ask, you probably can't appreciate the difference. All the cameras are competent. So just get one that your heart desires.

go with the 650D :)

R u solely looking at Canon? Nikon D3200 might be one of the good alternative too.

erm not actually. This are what my friends suggested. Haha, Thanks bro ! I shall take a look at Nikon's camera now !

Do you see the the massive amount of stickies? One of them is http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/787393-faq-dslr-camera-buy.html
We cannot give any advice as long as you don't make up your mind a bit. All brands have entry level cameras - the name is not coincidence.
Alternatively, if 'kid' refers to a small person please have a look at the mirrorless systems. They are smaller in build and might be more suitable than a DSLR. In terms of pictures many people won't be able to tell the difference.

Oh yah , Sorry I didn't saw the stickies there. Wow, That's a lot of information inside ! Thanks man;)

You like light colorful, white, pink, blue looking camera get the 1100d, nice and light, you like heavier black get 650d, all can produce good pics goto the shop and try it out, Canon showroom @Vivo beside Cinema, or something.

hmm, I think I'll prefer having good pictures than colorful camera appearance. there's one on vivo? okay, I 'll go there and take a look. I'm planning to go to some of the shops in Funan meanwhile. Thanks yah !

Canon Rebel T2i is the same as the Canon 550D.

The Rebel T2i is the name used in North America.
In Singapore, we use the xx0D naming convention. Otherwise, the cameras are identical.

So your question is which to get - 1100D, 550D or 650D?

I say just get one that you really like. There are differences, but if you have to ask, you probably can't appreciate the difference. All the cameras are competent. So just get one that your heart desires.

Oh ! thanks for informing me, I didn't know about that ><. okay, I shall go into more details of those cameras. :)

And don't forget Pentax and Sony... you might be surprised how much value for $$$ you get there.

TS... don't ever limit yourself to Canon and Nikon. There are other brands of cameras out there are very good too... and don't limit yourself to DSLR, there are other formats out there (such as mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras and DSLT).

The most important thing is to list down what you really want in your cameras, then look at the brands that offer those things. As for IQ... all the cameras are almost the same, all of them did what they are designed to do well... and forget about which camera packs the most features, choose the one that offer features that you wanted.

Then go to the shop and hold them, play with them a bit and see if their menu interface make any sense to you.