Newbie reporting in!

kageneration

Jul 10, 2010
Hi all just got a second hand 350D. New to photography and hoping to learn more! I am also wondering if my 18-55 IS kit lens is sufficient.:)

Hi all just got a second hand 350D. New to photography and hoping to learn more! I am also wondering if my 18-55 IS kit lens is sufficient.:)
Welcome to CS :)
Make do with the 18-55mm 1st. Since you are new to photography, read the camera's manual & get familiarise with the functions.
Read up on some books on photography which you can borrow from the library. You can also join the outings organised by some CSsers & learn from the seasoned photographers ;)

Welcome to CS=)
The lens is enough for now and you will slowly discover what area is your interest. Depending on your interests you will then buy other lenses:)

Welcome:)

Welcome to CS!
Play around and learn with your 18-55 first. Should be sufficient to keep you occupied for a while at least ;)

welcome :)

do make full use of the 18-55 first. When you find it limiting you in some way, then can consider buying another lens.

Hi welcome to CS!
Shoot more, Post more, Ask more and you will Learn more!:)
Happy shooting!!:thumbsup:

Thank you all for the encouragement. took my camera out for to snap some photos at holland village at night. rather difficult to prevent the light from glowing and appearing out of focus. hahha. I think i need a tripod right to allow a longer shutter speed.

Thank you all for the encouragement. took my camera out for to snap some photos at holland village at night. rather difficult to prevent the light from glowing and appearing out of focus. hahha. I think i need a tripod right to allow a longer shutter speed.

the general rule of thumb (not exact science) is that you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/focal length to reduce/eliminate hand-shake. So therefore at 18mm, you need at least 1/18s (I think closest speed is 1/15s). If lens has IS (stabilization), perhaps can shoot at slightly lower speed. But too slow and you really need tripod.

hope that helps!

* light "glowing" sounds strange. Can post up to see?

welcome to the world of photography.
Kit lens is good for a "starter" :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

the general rule of thumb (not exact science) is that you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/focal length to reduce/eliminate hand-shake. So therefore at 18mm, you need at least 1/18s (I think closest speed is 1/15s). If lens has IS (stabilization), perhaps can shoot at slightly lower speed. But too slow and you really need tripod.

hope that helps!

* light "glowing" sounds strange. Can post up to see?

Are you sure this is correct? If your lens is 18mm, on a camera like the 350D the effective FOV with 1.5x crop factor would be around 27mm, therefore the minimum shutter speed is 1/27 right?

Ahoy there! @ Newbie, welcome to the forums. Here are some good websites to learn about the various parameters:

http://www.kamerasimulator.se/eng/?page_id=2
http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/

welcome to cs... hope u will like it here :D

Welcome to CS !
Congrats to ur new toy !

Shoot more, post more ! ;)