Newbie Reporting In!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadence

May 19, 2006
Upp Serangoon
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my very first post.

Currently considering to buy a DSLR and venture into the world of serious photography. Still contemplating between D70s and 350D and reading through all related threads for information. ;)

Hoping to learn more from the pros here.

You got DeSwitch to reply you man! :thumbsup:

you should find the thread about him owning big and long white lens and not letting his wife find out :bsmilie:

Thanks DeSwitch for the link! :)

I've been following that thread closely since it was first posted. And still contemplating.

I take a long time to make up my mind :dunno:

Hi cadence. Hope to see photos you take.

Koelsch said:
You got DeSwitch to reply you man! :thumbsup:

you should find the thread about him owning big and long white lens and not letting his wife find out :bsmilie:

Keolsch, correction, its lady/gal not man. Dont OT leh. Later you scare away this Newcomer to the forum.

cadence said:
Thanks DeSwitch for the link! :)

I've been following that thread closely since it was first posted. And still contemplating.

I take a long time to make up my mind :dunno:

Try out for your self first. If you have friends using these 2 cameras, play with it and you will soon know what the difference that was mention in the tread. i like my 350D except for the viewfinder. Its sufficient for my usage. So far I had spent more that $200 trying to improve that but to no avail. (custom made split level focus screen and 2x angle finder).

DeSwitch said:
Keolsch, correction, its lady/gal not man. Dont OT leh. Later you scare away this Newcomer to the forum.

You're right on that. Too old to be considered a gal anymore, though.

No worries, I think I have more guts than that. :bsmilie:

smtan24,

Think it'll be a long while before you see the photos I take. With so many pros here, I have to muster A LOT OF COURAGE before I dare to post any photo.

Seriously speaking, it's really a hard choice. it's always down to what you want and what you need between the two. The "feel" of both dslrs and see which one you like and the different features. and most importantly. which SYSTEM would you see yourself commiting to? :thumbsup:

"Think it'll be a long while before you see the photos I take. With so many pros here, I have to muster A LOT OF COURAGE before I dare to post any photo."

i'm just using a normal pns and going out shooting with big big dslr also. it's still down to the photos you produce and post out! just post out more and learn and deswitch will always comment for you one!

Thanks DeSwitch and Koelsch for highlighting some of the questions I should be asking myself.

From what I've read and gathered, my head says 350D but my heart says D70s coz

1) I have small hands and I'm small-built, so 350D (which is relatively lighter and less bulky is more suitable)
2) Small fingers also mean that I won't have a problem with a not-so-ideal grip on the 350D.
3) I would prefer one with better noise control at high ISO settings.

But I am a Nikon supporter. :think:

Don't know anyone using a 350D but know a couple of friends using D70. So I guess I need to make a trip down to a shop which sells both and try handling them for the feel.

But then again, the body is not all that important. It's the lenses that make the difference. So I know I need to choose a system I need to grow with.

Dilemma, dilemma...

I is back from breakfast.

I'm in the same dilemma as you actually, choosing between the two big camera brands.

1) it's good that you've small hands, and the batttery grip would make it even more suitable for you if needed.

2) What do you mean by "not-so-ideal grip"? i do agree with most that 350D without a grip is hard to hold for most guys. Most people prefer the D70/D70s grip but D70s doesn't have any original batt grips if i'm not wrong. they do have 3rd party one though.

3) Canon has better ISO control =)

it's not that easy to test out at the shop. i've made quite a few friends at outings and they lent me their cameras to play with for awhile. it's really down when you're doing the phototaking, then you know what's better for you.

it's a system you're getting. not just the body and lens. think farrrrr....

Yes try out both and see which one you are more comfortable with. If you have many nikonian friends it would be easier to borrow /swap equipment more hehe...

Dont listen to Koelsch, He's a pro and I'm a very green newbie. Look at his photo and you will know.

Join the outings and you will have plenty of chance to feel and use the different camera bodies and lenses the members have.

A good point notes is that if all your friends uses Nikon, it more logical to go for Nikon and vice versa. I choose Canon becos all my photographer friends except one uses canon. Easer to exchange lens during outings. My 350d + grip is comfortable to hold.

I heard that Nikon noise issue can be rectified with software, I'm not sure though. If always using ISO100, 200 or 400, then I dont see the noise issue as a problem.

Also check overall system. Lens to suit your photography style. Look at the reviews of the lens you have in mind.

I've friends from both sides i think. hmmm. :dunno:

But i'm still waiting for the chance to play with DeSwitch's 100-400L lens lehs. That time went to lower pierce and didn't know you were there but i remember seeing your 100-400L.

*go remove all my links* :cry: tio suan-ed

for entertainment.... DeSwitch's 100-400L

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=195347

Wow Koelsch, that was a late breakfast you had!

raptor84, DeSwitch and Koelsch, you guys made a good point about going with the brand most of my friends own. Never thought of that before. But frankly, I doubt they will trust me with their expensive lenses. I'm one of the clumsiest person I've ever met myself. :embrass:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: It's time for you to pamper your wife over the weekend to appease her, DeSwitch.

Hmmm.... what happens when the wife is the one buying expensive handbags and lenses, I wonder. :think:

Koelsch said:
I've friends from both sides i think. hmmm. :dunno:

But i'm still waiting for the chance to play with DeSwitch's 100-400L lens lehs. That time went to lower pierce and didn't know you were there but i remember seeing your 100-400L.

*go remove all my links* :cry: tio suan-ed

for entertainment.... DeSwitch's 100-400L

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=195347

Next outing lor. Warning hor, Play liao den the BBB virus will be transmitted to you. I got the BBB virus after playing with somebody big lens in one of the outing.
:devil:

Next week shooting TFCD for my wife to make show her the power of the Lenses I have :devil:

DeSwitch said:
Next outing lor. Warning hor, Play liao den the BBB virus will be transmitted to you. I got the BBB virus after playing with somebody big lens in one of the outing.
:devil:

Next week shooting TFCD for my wife to make show her the power of the Lenses I have :devil:

i won't get to play your 100-400L lens what :sticktong tekong is calling me on 3rd june haha.

don't OT anymore la :sticktong

well, since I'm a newbie too, I tot I chub in to say a few things.

mmm... I've tried the 350D and everyone talks to me about how the quality is better at higher ISOs with lower noise. Probably agree... but don't think it makes that much of a difference to me. Checked out the ISO1600 and ISO800 for D70, 100% crop images from site like dpreview and amateur photography. both are still not bad.

What made me fall in love with the D70 is the handling. for one it has 2 dials instead of one on the 350D. feels weightier and better ergonomics. feels better build to me (less plastiky then the 350D).

You've got to hold both cameras in your hands and start shooting to tell the difference i guess... and when I did that, I fell in love with the D70.

if you don't know by now, I bought a d70. :)

hi cadence,

welcome to CS! why don't you consider buying a nikon D50 instead? it's smaller and lighter than the D70s and takes all your favourite nikon lenses. it also has better noise control at high iso settings than the D70s. and it's cheaper. image quality is on par with the D70s and 350D.

:)

Thanks quinton for your response. A pity I wasn't able to handle the D70s over the weekend. Was only able to try out the 350D and it seemed alright. Guess I gotta delay buying a DSLR by a couple of weeks more.

Hi zaren, I can't really remember why D50 was sieved out during my initial selection process. But it sounds like a good buy and seems to cater to my needs as well! Thanks. I'll read up more on D50 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.