Newbie report here

ehping

Sep 24, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi all, after considering and waiting a few month, finally I bought Nikon D7000 yesterday. Can't wait to start to shoot. Reading menu now. Hope can learn more from seniors.

Besides kits, I bought a tripod and a camera bag, which costs another $500.;)

Really photography is a huge huge money trap. Can't stop to throw money in.

So the next is dry box, maybe? Then next...next... Anyway, will enjoy.

Hi all, after considering and waiting a few month, finally I bought Nikon D7000 yesterday. Can't wait to start to shoot. Reading menu now. Hope can learn more from seniors.

Welcome to CS:)
And do consider a dry cabinet instead of a drybox

Welcome and enjoy your stay! Hope you had bought a sturdy tripod.

congrats on your purchase!
$500 for tripod and bag is fairly pricey, though probably at the lower percentile. hehehehe
I guess you got something above entry-level? :)

I would recommend dry cabinet instead of dry box. less hassle. Pretty much set and forget about it.

just to add:
photography is as expensive as you make it to be.
It can cost from $100+ (cheap PnS) to many tens of K.
Need to control your BBB urges, coz a lot of advice here is very poisonous! :bsmilie:

So true. And something that many of us learn only after many years of BBB :bsmilie:

There are many reasons to buy new gear -- some are frivolous (hey, it's your money), some more 'serious', but please NEVER fall into the trap of thinking that new (better?) gear will make you a better photographer.

just to add:
Need to control your BBB urges, coz a lot of advice here is very poisonous! :bsmilie:

congrats on your purchase!
$500 for tripod and bag is fairly pricey, though probably at the lower percentile. hehehehe
I guess you got something above entry-level? :)

I would recommend dry cabinet instead of dry box. less hassle. Pretty much set and forget about it.
No budget for high price :) hehe
Bought from SLR Revolution

Tripod: Manfrotto 732CY
Ball Head: Vanguard SBH-50
bag: Vanguard Up-rise 43

Sorry I confused dry cabinet and dry box. Not sure what the difference they are. The guy at there recommended one about $150. Any suggestion?

Need to control your BBB urges, coz a lot of advice here is very poisonous!
I know...;)still a long list to buy. Slowly one by one, depends what money I left;) Maybe depends what skill I have. I don't think I will buy a perfect lens for next few months. My skill is not there yet. Hope with all seniors here help, I can improve my skills faster and faster. Then throw away money faster.;)

Last edited:

Hi welcome.
This is just the beginning....HAHAHA..:sweat:
Buy only when you feel your equipment is limiting you.

Sorry I confused dry cabinet and dry box. Not sure what the difference they are. The guy at there recommended one about $150. Any suggestion?

Judging by the price, it has to a dry cabinet. Hmm if you don't give us the size, brand and model, I dun think we can comment on it.

Dry Cabinet: Can lock and need electricity to operate. It controls the humidity inside.

Dry box: No electricity required. Some can lock and some cannot. Uses silica gel to absorb moisture inside the box.
:)

Dry Cabinet: Can lock and need electricity to operate. It controls the humidity inside.

Dry box: No electricity required. Some can lock and some cannot. Uses silica gel to absorb moisture inside the box.
TS, akarui 40L is a dry cabinet.

I think I've seen some dry boxes with cable connection for continuous drying though...
For me:

Dry cabinet: BIG
Dry box: SMALL

kekekeke :bsmilie:

Thank you. Obvious dry cabinet is a better buy.

That's a reasonable price, you can get this or other brands as well. Given Singapore humidity, its better to have one.
Will buy... ;)Year end bonus hasn't got, already started to spend liao. :sweat:

TS, akarui 40L is a dry cabinet.

I think I've seen some dry boxes with cable connection for continuous drying though...
For me:

Dry cabinet: BIG
Dry box: SMALL

kekekeke :bsmilie:
Hey, saw your photo at dd123's homepage. You are a great model. kekekekeke.:bsmilie:

Thank you. Obvious dry cabinet is a better buy.

Will buy... ;)Year end bonus hasn't got, already started to spend liao. :sweat:
'better' depends on requirements. If someone has only 1 x DSLR + 1 lens, and uses it regularly, the dry cabinet could be considered a 'waste' of space.

'better' depends on requirements. If someone has only 1 x DSLR + 1 lens, and uses it regularly, the dry cabinet could be considered a 'waste' of space.

Thank you for the advise. Then I save it for a few month maybe. Of course, besides 1 body + 1 lens, i got a tripod. haha. can't put into dry cabinet. kekekekeke.:bsmilie: