newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always admired the many awesome wedding pictures you all keep posting! and i will be taking my first wedding assignment soon. A favor for a friend for a small token.

So before i jump into it without thinking, i was wondering if anyone would or could give me any pointers. like..

What's the jpeg size u would recommend?
How many pictures do u normally give to the couple?
Do u make any albums for them or just hand over the No. of pics over to them in a burnt CD?
or maybe any random tips that anyone would so willingly impart to me.. :) ?

I'm going into this for the experience, but i want to make this experience a good one with good pictures.

I've taken many other events before like charity events, school soccer matches, abstract etc. but weddings will be opening a whole new world to me! hahaha!

I hope to learn more from you all! help! haha.. and thanks!

everyone does it differently, the most important is that both the photographer and the client understand what deliverables they receive for the amt the job is transacted for.

so there's no right or wrong. if both parties agree, the photographer can deliver 1 image for $10k, or 10k images for $1. it's all about what's agreed on, and HOPEFULLY signed on. :)

same with albums, do they want one? are the paying for one?

from experience, it's more efficient and prudent to tell clients what you can give them (at what price), and if they want more (or less) you decide if you can do it.

for example, i stipulate a minimum of 30 images for every hour i shoot. if they want me to deliver at least 40, i will probably say yes, with a top up for my extra effort. if they ask for 100 images per hour i wil refuse the job. :)

everyone does it differently, the most important is that both the photographer and the client understand what deliverables they receive for the amt the job is transacted for.

so there's no right or wrong. if both parties agree, the photographer can deliver 1 image for $10k, or 10k images for $1. it's all about what's agreed on, and HOPEFULLY signed on. :)

same with albums, do they want one? are the paying for one?

from experience, it's more efficient and prudent to tell clients what you can give them (at what price), and if they want more (or less) you decide if you can do it.

for example, i stipulate a minimum of 30 images for every hour i shoot. if they want me to deliver at least 40, i will probably say yes, with a top up for my extra effort. if they ask for 100 images per hour i wil refuse the job. :)

wow! ok...i never knew that... thanks!

I've always admired the many awesome wedding pictures you all keep posting! and i will be taking my first wedding assignment soon. A favor for a friend for a small token.

So before i jump into it without thinking, i was wondering if anyone would or could give me any pointers. like..

What's the jpeg size u would recommend?
How many pictures do u normally give to the couple?
Do u make any albums for them or just hand over the No. of pics over to them in a burnt CD?
or maybe any random tips that anyone would so willingly impart to me.. :) ?

I'm going into this for the experience, but i want to make this experience a good one with good pictures.

I've taken many other events before like charity events, school soccer matches, abstract etc. but weddings will be opening a whole new world to me! hahaha!

I hope to learn more from you all! help! haha.. and thanks!

i'm not a wedding photographer though..

but since u are taking this event as a first time, are you the main photographer or will your friends be hiring a main photographer and you are just there as a friend to take some extra shots?

to answer all your questions you should be asking the couple, not us though. Whether to make an album, print how many pictures, burn CD etc should be communicated between you and your "client". Therefore, if justs a matter of whether you want to deliver what your friend wants or you tink that they might be asking for too much.

Just some experience to share with you, I have not taken any weddings solo at all, therefore I do not call myself a full fledge wedding photographer yet, the weddings I done so far always have a main photographer, I am just there at the sidelines taking photos and learning at the same time.

Your friends cannot "marry" again, so please make sure you have enough confidence on what to do on the actual day before you promise them anything as there are many things to look for on the actual wedding day and different couples have different expectations..

Best of luck :)

Try to take your photos in RAW if you can, but if you are very sure and you want to minimize on the post processing, then do it in the largest size jpg allowed on your camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.