newbie questions regarding filters

raggi

Mar 15, 2010
guys, i need some input regarding filters.
I have Sony 50mm 1.8. it is better for me to apply the UV filter to protect the lens or no need?
thanks in advance.

Hi raggi,
it is always good to have some protection for lenses, especially expensive ones. Not to mention, a filter infront of the lens will keep finger smudges and dust and dirt away too.

i have a lens that dropped from a table before, the filter took the impact, and broke into three pieces. Without the $80 UV filter, my $1,200 lens would have been a goner. :sweat:

Actually your choices are not mutually exclusive:
- there is no NEED to use a filter
- it is better, from a front-element-protection POV

Bear in mind that a cheapo filter may reduce your image quality in some circumstances. I believe that some photogs don't bother because it's an inexpensive lens. If you want, do your own cost/benefit analysis: how much does the filter cost; how much to repair your front element; and what are the odds your lens will sustain such damage.

Me? I just use a decent mid-range filter :)

guys, i need some input regarding filters.
I have Sony 50mm 1.8. it is better for me to apply the UV filter to protect the lens or no need?
thanks in advance.

from my point of view, if you have allowed the lens to go into such a situation where the filter might be of actual help - you obviously don't take good care of your equipment. i can hardly recall any situation where i even came close to compromising the safety of my equipment.

once again, i stress that a filter is of limited use in protecting the lens. the previous replier has stated that the filter took the impact and broke into 3 pieces, etc - similarly there have also been instances where people have claimed that the filter broke, and scratched their lens. you have to remember that the filter is only applicable for protecting the front element - if the lens lands on the side, on the rear, this offers no help at all. it can be a double-edged sword.

frankly speaking, if you think it will help, you can buy it.

from my point of view however, it seems to be a psychological thing - pay $x for protection, and the lens will be protected. the truth is that you are paying $x for increased peace of mind, while fooling yourself that the lens is somehow magically immune to drops as a result of this. might as well use the money to buy insurance for the lens, if that is your objective.

from my point of view, if you have allowed the lens to go into such a situation where the filter might be of actual help - you obviously don't take good care of your equipment. i can hardly recall any situation where i even came close to compromising the safety of my equipment.

once again, i stress that a filter is of limited use in protecting the lens. the previous replier has stated that the filter took the impact and broke into 3 pieces, etc - similarly there have also been instances where people have claimed that the filter broke, and scratched their lens. you have to remember that the filter is only applicable for protecting the front element - if the lens lands on the side, on the rear, this offers no help at all. it can be a double-edged sword.

frankly speaking, if you think it will help, you can buy it.

from my point of view however, it seems to be a psychological thing - pay $x for protection, and the lens will be protected. the truth is that you are paying $x for increased peace of mind, while fooling yourself that the lens is somehow magically immune to drops as a result of this. might as well use the money to buy insurance for the lens, if that is your objective.
good point.

I'd rather pay $50/year (a wild guess of the cost, just for illustration's sake) for insurance for my lens than to buy a $50 piece of glass that may offer some protection, and only for the front.

Just to add on: I'm not sure about sony's 50/1.8, but the nikkor aFD 50/1.8 has the front element very far recessed, so I felt it was pointless to place a filter in front.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input and link. I read through it, and it really detailed.
by the way, any recommendation of filter to use on my prime lens?
thanks.

Get at least a multi-coated filter, else u will suffer from flaring. Kenko/Hoya Pro-1D are pretty good and decent for the price.