Newbie questions regarding 50mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzatan

Jun 16, 2009
Forgive this very naive question. I have a nikon AF 50mm f1.4d. I'm to lock it at its min aperture (f16) when in P and shutter priority mode. Why is this so .... what does locking it at the min aperture do?

thanx in advance for your advice.

by right all modes must lock at the min aperture or else your digital cam will show err right?

locking the aperture ring is so that the aperture will be set on the camera..
cos back in the manual film camera days, aperture is set on lens, shutter speed is set on camera.. now in the digital era, you just let the camera do the work.. most lenses might still have aperture ring that allows you to use them on older manual bodies..

Last edited:
that's the strange thing. the instructions that came with the len claims that i lock it at min aperture when in P and shutter priority mode. Does mention aperture priority and M. Insights anyone?

that's the strange thing. the instructions that came with the len claims that i lock it at min aperture when in P and shutter priority mode. Does mention aperture priority and M. Insights anyone?

why not try it on your camera in the various modes with the aperture locked at the min and rotating it and give us your findings. I'm sure it will not allow your cam to fire. Those instruction were written long ago for film cameras.. I don't think it's updated.

The reason is because the aperture is now controlled by the camera.

In order for the camera to access the full range of apertures from F1.4 to 16, you need to set the lens to F16 so that the camera can then do the adjustment. Lens construction is such that if nothing is done, it will spring to the smallest aperture, F16. By pushing the aperture leaver, progressively larger apertures can be obtained.

In the manual days, this lever is operated by the aperture ring. In the digital days, this lever is operated by the camera. If you set at an aperture larger than F16, say F11, the camera can never set apertures smaller than F11 because the lever already sets the minimum bar.

very helpful. appreciated.

this lens is design in the days when Nikon still using aperture ring on lens to control aperture, when use on modern cameras, which use sub/main command dial to control aperture, you need to lock it at minimum aperture setting to function properly.

On the semi-pro and pro bodies (like D200, D2, D3), you can still configure your camera to change the aperture settings using the aperture ring. Hence you do not need to lock the aperture ring if you're using at 'A' or 'M' mode, as these modes allow you to set the aperture.

The funny thing is that I'd probably want to configure the camera to change via lens for those lower end bodies with only one dial. Those with two dials; what for configure iin this way?

Sad truth is, the lower-end consumer bodies don't have this feature, as it doesn't have the aperture-coupling ring.

The lower-end body users will probably be using the newer DX, G lenses that doesn't have aperture ring on the lenses.

Something new to me... only for Nikon camera?

I was wondering, the aperture lock can only lock at the min level or any other apertures?
I tried locking on different apertures doesnt seems to be able to work.
Is it faulty?

I was wondering, the aperture lock can only lock at the min level or any other apertures?
I tried locking on different apertures doesnt seems to be able to work.
Is it faulty?

For D90, must lock at the min or it will give an error.. everything must be set in camera.

For D90, must lock at the min or it will give an error.. everything must be set in camera.

Sry rephrase abit, when len is not mounted on any body, i played with it, tried to lock it at different aperture.
but the lock wont budge. only when aperture is turned to the smallest number can it be locked.
Is it normal or the len is faulty?

Sry rephrase abit, when len is not mounted on any body, i played with it, tried to lock it at different aperture.
but the lock wont budge. only when aperture is turned to the smallest number can it be locked.

that's normal. The lock is designed that way specifically for all the new cameras, where the aperture is controlled by the camera body. As such, you need to turn the aperture ring to f/22. The lock feature is only enabled at f/22 so the ring is not easily rotated away.

Oh, that sliding LOCK only locks at min only for newer cams so it won't show error.. as per zerocoolastra's post..

here's some literature for you to read.

From DPReview also.. for the benefits of others..

picture1mo.png

some lens don't have lock, for eg, the voigtlander 58.. sometimes I accidentally turned to ring and cannot fire.. the body will show error..

Status
Not open for further replies.