Newbie questions on DSLR Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

oTaRu

Dec 25, 2004
hi guys, i might be stepping into DSLR somewhere next month or so... As I have confirm on buying canon... I have some questions on the Lens...

Alot had mention L-Lens coating wont be wear off... is it true?
Other 3rd party lens like tarmon and sigma, how many years warranty do they provide?

Thanks!

hi guys, i might be stepping into DSLR somewhere next month or so... As I have confirm on buying canon... I have some questions on the Lens...

Alot had mention L-Lens coating wont be wear off... is it true?
Other 3rd party lens like tarmon and sigma, how many years warranty do they provide?

Thanks!
If you keep them properly in a dry cabinet (yes, you will need to invest in one of that) and you don't need to use chemical to clean them very often, they should last a lifetime, even the non-L lenses and third party lenses.

If you keep them properly in a dry cabinet (yes, you will need to invest in one of that) and you don't need to use chemical to clean them very often, they should last a lifetime, even the non-L lenses and third party lenses.

so does that means the glass coated will not easily wear off???

Usually if u place a filter on your lens, u don't have to worry abt lens coating fading off. But Sigma lenses have been said to have coatings worned off over time.

Usually if u place a filter on your lens, u don't have to worry abt lens coating fading off. But Sigma lenses have been said to have coatings worned off over time.

hmmm... icic... i have learn something new... all the while i thought the filter is the lens protector...

hmmm... icic... i have learn something new... all the while i thought the filter is the lens protector...

Yes it does protect the lens as well. Think abt it, i'm sure u'd rather get your filter damaged than your lens.

haha... ya... i agree... i rather had my filter damage than my lens...

I don't know about other people, but personally I'd stay away from Sigma. I was using a 70-210mm during one of my photoshoots when the damn thing came apart literally.
After speaking to some other sigma owners, they have some unfavourable comments with regards to sigma's quality (but luckily they didn't have as bad experience as I have had)

The filter only protect the most front element coating from accidentally scratching/knock or dust/dirty. Less dust/dirty make you less touch your front element in order to clean it.

Regards,
Arto.

Also the way one cleans the lens (e.g. from center outwards), type and brand of cleaning fluid (ONLY if necessary) used to clean the glass to prolong/maintain/sustain the condition of the glass.
I use only pure Ethanol/Alcohol to clean up any stains, and if impossible, I'll use the Liquid Fusion Camera Lens Cleaner, followed by pure Ethanol/Alcohol to clean up.

Also the way one cleans the lens (e.g. from center outwards), type and brand of cleaning fluid (ONLY if necessary) used to clean the glass to prolong/maintain/sustain the condition of the glass.
I use only pure Ethanol/Alcohol to clean up any stains, and if impossible, I'll use the Liquid Fusion Camera Lens Cleaner, followed by pure Ethanol/Alcohol to clean up.

I never used any fluids to clean my filters. A lens tissue will do.

I don't know about other people, but personally I'd stay away from Sigma. I was using a 70-210mm during one of my photoshoots when the damn thing came apart literally.
After speaking to some other sigma owners, they have some unfavourable comments with regards to sigma's quality (but luckily they didn't have as bad experience as I have had)

Cos Sigma lenses aren't as well-built as Canon's.

hey guys... thanks for telling me so much things!
:)

This is not true. I've used Sigma lens for more than I can remember. It never fail on me. How can your lens come apart? Did you abuse it?

This is not true. I've used Sigma lens for more than I can remember. It never fail on me. How can your lens come apart? Did you abuse it?

I never have and never will abuse my camera equipment. I'm too bloody poor and need to save up like mad just to get anything so my stuff are in top notch condition.

I never used any fluids to clean my filters. A lens tissue will do.

I agree too, that's why I caps the word "ONLY". It's the stubborn stains that cannot be removed by the dry cleaning method, using a lens tissue. ;)

I agree too, that's why I caps the word "ONLY". It's the stubborn stains that cannot be removed by the dry cleaning method, using a lens tissue. ;)

Lens tissue or microfiber cloth never fails me. :)

what microfibre cloth is good? for lens tissue just use kodak?

what microfibre cloth is good? for lens tissue just use kodak?

I've no idea abt brands of these but get those which as very fine and soft. For tissue wise get those lint-free ones....same for the cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.