newbie questions - dry cabi amd food photos

heutistmeintag

Nov 28, 2010
I am running in my dry cabinet (digi cabi 036) and the display showed 25 and 29. My dial position is at about 2 o'clock and the running in is now more than 24 hours. Is the 25 figure too low?

If I want to take good food shots, do I need to get a macro?

Too low, set dial to 11oclock and wait for half a day, if humidity too high then turn dial bit by bit clockwise and monitor. My guess is u should hit 11-12 just like my case at 43%RH

I am running in my dry cabinet (digi cabi 036) and the display showed 25 and 29. My dial position is at about 2 o'clock and the running in is now more than 24 hours. Is the 25 figure too low?

Don't have the DB036, so I have no idea what the RH should be when dial is at 2 o'clock position...

Generally I think between 40 and 50% RH is pretty safe. Read up more and form your own opinion. Some people prefer lower, some people don't like too low.

For food, if you want really close up and super-thin depth of field, then perhaps a macro lens is applicable. I haven't really found the need to shoot so close though. Even kit lens is decent. I feel that lighting and presentation are of greater importance.

25 is way too low. 40-50% is recommended.
I don't think you need a macro lens to shoot good food shots. Like previously mentioned, it's really more of lighting. Macro is only necessary when you want to capture small details.

Don't have the DB036, so I have no idea what the RH should be when dial is at 2 o'clock position...

Generally I think between 40 and 50% RH is pretty safe. Read up more and form your own opinion. Some people prefer lower, some people don't like too low.

For food, if you want really close up and super-thin depth of field, then perhaps a macro lens is applicable. I haven't really found the need to shoot so close though. Even kit lens is decent. I feel that lighting and presentation are of greater importance.

I think a normal kit lens is good enough for food photography too. However do take note of the minimum focusing distance of each lens.

E.G. Canon kit 2, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS MFD is 45cm. You will have to stand up and go 1-2 step away from your table for many cases.

I turned the dial inside the cabinet anti-clockwise all the way and can only get 32% max. Is my device faulty?

FYI, I turned full clockwise and the lowest is 23%. Can the meter be faulty instead?

I turned the dial inside the cabinet anti-clockwise all the way and can only get 32% max. Is my device faulty?

FYI, I turned full clockwise and the lowest is 23%. Can the meter be faulty instead?
could be either the hygrometer or the _________ (dehumidifying device... forgot the correct name) faulty.
Can't be sure just by reading your post, I'm afraid. Perhaps try to get another hygrometer to verify? Or bring down the dry cabi for diagnosis.

I think a normal kit lens is good enough for food photography too. However do take note of the minimum focusing distance of each lens.

E.G. Canon kit 2, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS MFD is 45cm. You will have to stand up and go 1-2 step away from your table for many cases.

normally i use tamron 17-50 or 50mm f1.8( last time).. it depend how u shoot and lighting lo...