Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabaDen

Oct 4, 2006
EastEnders
Hi guys, hope you'll help me clear up some stoopid newbie question -

1) What's the DSLR equivalent for a 28mm range on SLR Film Cam?
2) Is it good time to buy 30D now since there're rumours of a 40D launch or just get a 2nd hand 350D or something 1st to play2?

This questions may have been asked before. Pardon my ignorance ar. :sweatsm:

2) Is it good time to buy 30D now since there're rumours of a 40D launch or just get a 2nd hand 350D or something 1st to play2?

1) 42mm (nikon), 56mm(4/3)
2) this is a endless wait...

1) 42mm (nikon), 56mm(4/3)
2) this is a endless wait...

I think Threadstarter is probably asking the question the other way round.

28mm on SLR film = the same field of view as about 19mm on a 1.5x crop factor Nikon DSLR.

Basically, threadstarter is asking this question to find out what focal length he needs to have for a DSLR in order to get the same view as 28mm on a film SLR.

Since others have already replied with regards to 1), I'll just give you my 2cts for 2)

Dslrs (like computers) are all electronic stuff. With any new models, they need to be tested by early adoptors and have any/all issues rectified. So would u rather have a tried & tested but older model or pay a premium to be a guinea pig for the manufacturer.

If you're a serious photographer, forget the 350D/400D; I feel they're too much of a toy rather than a real camera.

Thanks Bro Clockunder ... that's what I really need to know now before diving in. :lovegrin: Any idea on Canon lens ... same calculation? Thanks again.

Bro nikonrus, thanks for your great input ... think I got the idea. Only what to dive into ... I was a Canon SLR user last time, albeit a short while only. Now with time and scedule sorted out, gonna pick up hobby again. :)

Thinking of going back to Canon ... or Nikon :think: Anyone any recommendation? Thanks ya. :)

Thanks Bro Clockunder ... that's what I really need to know now before diving in. :lovegrin: Any idea on Canon lens ... same calculation? Thanks again.

Bro nikonrus, thanks for your great input ... think I got the idea. Only what to dive into ... I was a Canon SLR user last time, albeit a short while only. Now with time and scedule sorted out, gonna pick up hobby again. :)

Thinking of going back to Canon ... or Nikon :think: Anyone any recommendation? Thanks ya. :)

Well, for the brands, most choose it for the handling, preferance in terms of usage, etc...

Read more on the differences and then go down to the shops to try them out. In the end, you must like the camera, right??

Personally, I'm a Nikon user, but I do admit that the Canon's noise control is good... So there are always pros and cons on each side... it's up to you to decide which you favour more...

Actually, the difference in angle of view on different camera depends on the sensor size. For Canon, most are 1.6x crop factor and so to get the required focal length on a DSLR, you divide it by the crop factor.

Below is a picture showing that on a DSLR with a crop factor of 2x (e.g. Olympus DSLR), the focal length lens required to have the same field of view as 180mm on a full frame film SLR is ....... 180/2 = 90mm. It can also be said that a 90mm on a 2x crop factor camera would have a similar field of field as 180mm on a film SLR. However one thing to note is that although the field of view is the same, there are other differences because of the difference in actual focal length used : DOF, shutter speed to avoid handshake blur, rendering of out of focus objects, relative sizes of subjects, etc.

cropfactorwm1.jpg

28mm / 1.6x crop factor get 17.5mm focal length for lens, or 28mm/ 1.3x crop factor get 21.53mm focal length for lens..

Have u handled any dslr recently? If not, then I would seriously suggest you go to shops to hold them in your hands. The reason is the physical size of the dslrs have changed a lot since film based slrs was the in thing. I have been a Nikon user all these years, but I had to pass on the D40 & D50 mainly cos of the feel (too small & too plasticy).

Starting from scratch (so to speak), may I suggest you consider a used body (unless you're stinkingly rich :p ). The older dslrs may not have as high a pixel count as the new systems but then pixel count is not critical unless you plan to print huge posters.

Let me just add to the explaination about DSLR equivalent for a xxmm lens on SLR Film Cam.
Check the specs of any dslr and it would be stated using some terms below (all means the same thing)

Focal length conversion factor / Field Of View crop / Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor / Focal magnifier

Most dslrs have different crop, so just use the crop factor stated (ie 1.6) and multiply to the lens length and you get the dslr equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.