newbie question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakite

Jul 3, 2004
Singapore
is there a difference in filter sizes.. i was thinkning of buy some for my coolpix 8700, but there are so many... i took a look at nextphotos webby, there's 46mm, 49mm, 52mm, 55mm, 58mm and 62mm...... i'm like totally lost... which one do i get?

any special reason to get different sizes? i'm asking that because i've to get the filter adapter b4 i can get the filter... pls help.... :embrass:

hmmm.. so it doesn't matter wat size i choose to use ah? but then.. if so... how come got so many?all meant for differnt lenses? hmmmm no difference in performance?

if i am not mistaken, the different sizes are meant for different lenses...
like slr lenses, compact digi cam lens and etc

performance wise, i believe they are the same, UV filter does what its supposed to do, which ever size/lens it's fitted on... =)

maybe some more experienced in filters might be able to clarify more

Malakite said:
hmmm.. so it doesn't matter wat size i choose to use ah? but then.. if so... how come got so many?all meant for differnt lenses? hmmmm no difference in performance?

I think better get the size same as the adaptor, if you get other size then u'll need a step down/up ring.
But If i'm not wrong, if the filter u get is smaller than the adapter it might cause vigneting.
I'm not too sure also, i'm a newbie also :embrass:

~Arcanic~ said:
if i am not mistaken, the different sizes are meant for different lenses...
like slr lenses, compact digi cam lens and etc

performance wise, i believe they are the same, UV filter does what its supposed to do, which ever size/lens it's fitted on... =)

maybe some more experienced in filters might be able to clarify more

Yes, different sized filters for different sized (diameter) lenses. Also, larger filters tend to cost more, assuming the same type of filter.

Different lenses have different filter sizes. This is due to the various factors like focal length and especially max aperature size of the lens. You'll find that most if not all f2.8 lenses require larger filter sizes. Ultra-wide angle lenses also need larger filter sizes.

I guess for your case, you'll need to get an adapter that can accomodate the widest focal length of your camera. What I mean is this: when you have attached the adapter and the filter to your camera, you shouldn't see the shadowing (vigneting) of the filter or the adapter at the widest angle setting of your camera. The smallest filter size at which no shadowing occurs should be fine.

Other than that, 2 similar filters (say UV or polarising for example) of different size work exactly the same. It's what suits your lens that matters.

ahhhh thank you all for clearing that up... now i knoe which ones to get.. keke....

Just get what fits your cam/lens lah.

Status
Not open for further replies.