Newbie question

S2Glow

Nov 23, 2011
So i am really wondering all those professional that do wedding photos , they used good equipment , L lens or whatever.

now my question is , can a kit lens do almost similar job compare to those equipment?

cause i think what matters is the post processing. can some pros clarify?

Depends on situation.

Like if someone is shooting a slow moving wedding in broad daylight. Yea of course you can use a kit lits and an entry level DSLR and get wonderful results. Even a PNS will get fantastic results. The only thing you won't get are funky effects that come with ultra wide angel lenses, telephoto lenses and large aperture lenses.

If someone is shooting in a dim ballroom without a flash with people dancing really quickly around the room, then you will not be able to do anything if you are holding an entry level dslr with a kit lens. In these situations, you will need a body that supports higher AF speeds, better ISO performance, a lens that will be able to focus quickly, have a larger aperture and a flash gun to be able to even shoot properly.

And of course, in both situations above, I'm assuming the 'someone' knows the technicalities about photography and can make the best out of his/her equipment. If that 'someone' doesn't know the difference between 2 bodies or lenses, it is most likely that even he/she is given pro equipment, he/she will only do as well as someone with entry level equipment.

Last edited:
Skills matter. Equipment is overrated.
If you know your way you can use entry level camera and kit lens, coupled with a flash and some diffuser. If not - no L lens will save you. Skills include composition and knowing your camera equipment by heart - and guiding people to group for pictures.
Post processing is a useful extension to achieve certain results, be it B/W conversion of other effects. But no funky effects can cover up basic weaknesses of exposure and composition.

Of course you can do well with a kit lens, though you do loose some photographic options with a slower lens.

Eg.
1. Shallow DOF shots
2. Using a lower ISO while taking in more of the ambient
3. Shots in dimmer indoors without flash

Some fast lenses are not that expensive (eg. 35/1.8; 50/1.8; Tamron/Sigma 17-50/2.8, etc)

Last edited:
So i am really wondering all those professional that do wedding photos , they used good equipment , L lens or whatever.

now my question is , can a kit lens do almost similar job compare to those equipment?

to deliver pro results, it need a solid foundation, and also some talent in it, with a lot of hard work, plus many years experience, using the right gears.

you can try out what you think it will work and see how is it.

Am no pro.

But to your question..as much as i know. Your skill matters more than your equipment/tools. Similar or better job with kit lens? hmm Of course you can if you are really good. 1 don't suddenly become good or produce powerful images when given good or even the best equipment.

But if you're that good..using those L lenses/better equipment will be even better..

I feel that if the shot is underexposed, overexposed, crappy, etc PP can only save this much but its still crappy. You can push the entry cam and lens to the limit, botomline is knowing how to utilise the equip and shortcomings to the fullest, you've to get really accustomed to the settings and effects and knowing exactly what you're doing. L lenses just gives you a little better contrast, clarity, aperature, bla bla but it won't save your skill or knowledge.

I think the defining factor is in the photographer. The lens and body are only a necessary aid to his creativity...

Same logic here: It's the driver & not the car.

thanks all ^^!

Of course it can! A better camera will only make getting that shot easier. If a person is experienced enough, his shots are generally great. Conversely, if he lacks experience, no matter the equipment, his shots are at best mediocre.

The reason why pros choose pro cameras is because of convenience and flexibility. It's like an artist, he can get cheap paint or expensive paint- it doesn't matter! Probably the expensive paint has more contrast-y colours when applied but that's all. It's the person, not the tool.

To me, the use of pro equipment is like a value-added service to the customer. If I'm the customer, the very first thing I will consider is the photographer's composition and creativity. If 2 photographers whom I am considering are of the same standard, the next deciding factor will be the gears they used. Better gears deliver sharper images, better performance. That's a fact.

Both count la.

No photographer is going to be able to take a relatively low-noise photograph in a dark environment with the kit lens and the standard APS-C DSLR.

With a fast lens and full frame camera, a good photographer will make the most of it and produce decent quality photographs for the lighting condition.

With a fast lens and full frame camera, a bad photographer who doesn't know what he is doing will produce diddly squat of use. He might get lucky, but he won't always be lucky.

Something worth reading:

http://photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment

Noise reduction/Shallow DOF/More contrasty images all can be done in post, but you should be prepared to spend quite a lot of time enhancing your images when using better lenses and gear in the first place would make your workflow more efficient.

e.g.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/digi...-post-processing-pictures-21.html#post7686995

Use the best gear you can afford, and keep on honing your skills.

Last edited:

Equipment is a small part.

Post processing is even smaller.

The big part is people skills, knowledge on how to pose and portray women in their best, men too, man and woman romantically together too, not forgetting the old women and old men and the uncooperative children, the ability to do it fast, under pressure of time and expectation, under hindrance from all the hobbyists playing at the wedding, difficult and ever changing lighting conditions, PLUS the experience to anticipate moments and emotions, fast reaction, and the stamina to last 16 to 18 hours long day shoot.

The even bigger part is the ability to do all above PLUS inserting creativity and freshness to call it art.

Good equipment is what Nikon and Canon want the consumers to believe.

Good post processing is what Adobe and all those software companies want hobbyists to believe.

Good photography and personality skills is what people need to believe about wedding photography but seldom because its the hardest to do and cannot be bought by money.

Last edited: