Newbie Question: Should I buy a 2nd Hand DSLR or a Brand New DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackwindows

Jan 1, 2007
Hi all,

I am a newbie in DSLR and I would like to learn photography with DSLR. So the question is should I just buy a 2nd Hand DSLR or should I get a brand new DSLR kit?

What I have in mind if I get a 2nd Hand DSLR will be an EOS 300D, I think the price is ard $600-700. Is that a good choice for a newbie? or I should get 2nd hand 350D but I think the price is close to 1k, then I might as well get the 400D.

Hope you can give me some suggestions. Thanks

Is it possible for you to borrow one from a friend and shoot a little?

Photography is a considerable investment.

Fiddle around with the camera and see if you like it....

Bernard

get a brand new one...prices is still not that high these days...but i not sure whats your budget also...

get a 2nd hand 300D, then use the amount saved for other things like lens and tripod in the near future...

Most people just starting off would like a brand-new piece of equipment since this would take most problems out of the equation. The item is under warranty and can be easily changed or repaired at no charge if something fails during the warranty period.

But as people get more experienced they may turn to second-hand goods. If you can get some help from someone who is reasonably experienced, you could try your hand at second-hand stuff as well. It'll save you quite a bundle.

The 300D and 350D second hand are both good choices. So is the 10D and 20D. Don't forget to look at the other brands as well. Try to read reviews and familiarize yourself with the common cameras on the market. When you buy an SLR, you are buying into a brand or a system, so try to get it right the first time.

A DSLR is a big investment. If you're a newbie, you may not see deffects in a second hand DSLR until much later when you know how to use it. So unless you trust the buyer completely, I suggest to put-off your purchase until you are sure with photography then buy a brand new unit.

Also, chose the brand wisely since this is going to be a long term investment Canon and Nikon are the ones that I recommend you take a look closely before deciding.

buy used, save money

Buy used. If you dun like it, can sell it at similar price. However buy used depend on luck ... so good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.