Newbie question on metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

chankp

Jan 14, 2006
Assuming I'm shooting a scene in manual mode.
To record sharpness from front to back, I used f/11 for the aperture and metered off the blue sky which indicated a shutter speed of 1/15 sec for proper exposure, and then recomposed.
My confusion is, is it necessary to 1/2 depress the shutter when metering off the sky or I leave the shutter alone until I recompose to shoot?
TIA.

To record sharpness from front to back, I used f/11 for the aperture and metered off the blue sky which indicated a shutter speed of 1/15 sec for proper exposure, and then recomposed.
My confusion is, is it necessary to 1/2 depress the shutter when metering off the sky or I leave the shutter alone until I recompose to shoot?
TIA.

Sry for my noobness.. but why do u meter off sky? is Blue sky ur subjuct? and since you are in MANUAL mode, why need to 1/2 press shutter release? I tot Manual, u not only need to set ur F#, you also need to set your own shutter speed mah.. :think:

It's a sunset landscape scene.
In manual mode, I can set both the shutter speed and aperture settings using the camera metering system.
Just not sure if it's necessary to lock focus at the reference point for correct metering to be taken and then recompose to shoot.
Tks.

Thanks very much for your adv.
Rgds

TIA.
You can use aperture priority @ f11 and meter the spot you like. Press Exposure Lock and you can recompose your shot.

TIA.

Hi:), for your case you may need 'Exposure Lock' and 'not really Focus Lock-(but may depends on any specific subject that you want also)';) then recompose to your desire.:cool:

You can use aperture priority @ f11 and meter the spot you like. Press Exposure Lock and you can recompose your shot.

thanks bro... i was puzzled by my 400D ... I thought all the focus points can do the metering till last sunday.... i was trying to shoot at the beach with some branches from a tree as a frame... focused on the leaves,... recompsed ...then my meter has gone... :bsmilie:

I changed the focus point.....but the metering is still same... at last i get to remember the exposure and changed to manual mode to get what I wanted. :sticktong so i was thinking to open a thread to ask how to maintain the meter.... totally forgot about the expsure lock:sweatsm:....

searching is better than simply opening one thread ah... :think:

Thanks a lot guys for the info.
Appreciate it very much.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.