Newbie question on filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamInit

Nov 3, 2009
This might sound a bit dumb but... do we always have to buy filters of specific sizes for specific sized lens? Couldn't I just get the biggest filter and use adaptor rings or something for smaller lenses?

This might sound a bit dumb but... do we always have to buy filters of specific sizes for specific sized lens? Couldn't I just get the biggest filter and use adaptor rings or something for smaller lenses?
you can, however, not practical and convenient, unless the filter is seldom use.

If you do that with UV or protector filters to "protect" the lens, how are you going to use the lens hoods that came with your lenses? ;)

yah why not... this way u can share filters for all ur lenses. but then for UV filters i think the best is to have one for each of the lenses, just leave it on for protection... u can do the adapter for other filters like CPL, ND, GND, etc

Thanks for answering. That was what I was thinking, get the biggest and best CPL, ND,... filters. Maybe for UV or Skylight just get one for each size. The rest of the lens can stay with their caps when unused. That should help to cut some costs. Canon seems to think hoods are optional. Had the impression that most either use hood or filter for protection, seldom both at the same time for that purpose.

Picture quality is unaffected regardless of size, right?

Thanks for answering. That was what I was thinking, get the biggest and best CPL, ND,... filters. Maybe for UV or Skylight just get one for each size. The rest of the lens can stay with their caps when unused. That should help to cut some costs. Canon seems to think hoods are optional. Had the impression that most either use hood or filter for protection, seldom both at the same time for that purpose.

The main function of a hood is not lens protection. It's main function is to lower incidental light that can cause flares. And actually, many people use a protector or UV filter together with a hood.

affected by the quality of the filter itself

yes most of us use a step down ring instead of buying filters for all sizes

ryan

For UV filter, which most people keep on the lens almost all the time, no point buying a bigger one.
But for filters like ND filter, you won't need it always. So for such filters, use a 1-step step-up ring is ok. ;)

For UV filter, which most people keep on the lens almost all the time, no point buying a bigger one.
But for filters like ND filter, you won't need it always. So for such filters, use a 1-step step-up ring is ok. ;)

i am also thinking of getting some filters. is 1 step step-up ring still able to fit into the hood? currently using a 67mm hood...

and one more thing, if i am getting the cokin or tianya filter that would means that no hood could be used right?

can use step down ring + 82mm or 77mm filters.

whether worth the trouble, i don't know.

another alternatively is ring + filter holder + filter that are slot in type.

for me, i only do long exposure with uwa, and incidentally, i can somehow balance the 77mm nd filter in my 70-300 hood so that works too. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

If the lens is very wide, 1 step (5mm) step up may cause vignetting. For my 17mm lens, a slim CPL with 67mm to 72mm already causes slight vignetting.

Usually a good one is to go 2 steps. There are adapters that go from 67mm to 77mm in 1 step. I think these will work better.

i am also thinking of getting some filters. is 1 step step-up ring still able to fit into the hood? currently using a 67mm hood...

and one more thing, if i am getting the cokin or tianya filter that would means that no hood could be used right?

You have to try. I suggest trying it at the shop.

One more thing. this only works if you leave your hood on permanently. If you take off your hood or store it in the reverse position at times, this will not work well for you.

After we spend so much on the lens, dun skimp on the filter
U will always bring down by ur weakest link

Status
Not open for further replies.